ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   potential engine mods - comments wanted (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/988710-potential-engine-mods-comments-wanted.html)

LeeRoyV 27 October 2013 10:19 AM

potential engine mods - comments wanted

so i have a '05 blobeye wrx and i've come to the decision i want it to be fun to drive as oppose to balls out power so decided to go down the hybrid td04 route and hope to have something around the 290/300 mark with a nice quick spool up. im looking to assemble the parts over the next few months so i get get them fitted up and the car mapped come the better weather next year.

this is the potential engine spec list so far and would appreciate any comments as to improve it:

andy forrest hybrid td04 AFTD04H
full 2.5" turbo back decat exhaust
decat uppipe
pipercross panel filter
sti pink injectors
255 fuel pump
TMIC y piece upgrade
3 port boost soleniod
new plugs

i like the idea of a fmic and cai but i think these maybe counter productive. also would a sti tmic be of benifit?

please dont worry about commenting on things like brakes and chassis as these will also dealt with!!

i welcome your comments :)

stonejedi 27 October 2013 11:06 AM

Sounds like a Very good plan for your target power you are looking to achieve,don't forget to add a remap Into your budget.SJ.

stonejedi 27 October 2013 11:09 AM

For your target power a top mount would be fine and of course if you could get yourself a STI top mount intercooler and under tray it would be even better.SJ.

LeeRoyV 27 October 2013 11:11 AM

Cheers pal, yeh remap is accounted for but as money is now a little tight I wanna gather bits when the crop up at the right price ready for the new year and remap when weather picks up :)

Hopefully I'll have a nice afterburner back box by then aswell

stonejedi 27 October 2013 11:15 AM

No problem:lol1:SJ.

LeeRoyV 27 October 2013 03:56 PM

Anymore thoughts on the potential set up?

the shreksta 27 October 2013 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by LeeRoyV (Post 11247524)
Anymore thoughts on the potential set up?

i would put a sti inlet manifold on and ask your mapper to map out the tgv's

LeeRoyV 27 October 2013 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11247622)
i would put a sti inlet manifold on and ask your mapper to map out the tgv's

forgive my newb ignorance but whats the benefit with doing this??

the shreksta 27 October 2013 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by LeeRoyV (Post 11247638)
forgive my newb ignorance but whats the benefit with doing this??

basically you will gain a few extra bhp and its 1 less set of sensors to go wrong :D

gazney101 27 October 2013 05:51 PM

+1 for tgv removals, they a w@ste of space

gazney101 27 October 2013 05:57 PM

Maybe its just me but do you really want to go through the bother of all this changing out part for 290 -300bhp, i know budget limits things but i would just hold out for a billet 20g on the setup you mentioned above and go for 400bhp+ reliably aswell, i know that power isnt for everyone but thats what i would do

the shreksta 27 October 2013 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by gazney101 (Post 11247651)
Maybe its just me but do you really want to go through the bother of all this changing out part for 290 -300bhp, i know budget limits things but i would just hold out for a billet 20g on the setup you mentioned above and go for 400bhp+ reliably aswell, i know that power isnt for everyone but thats what i would do

on his 5 speed................:eek::eek::eek:

LeeRoyV 27 October 2013 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by gazney101 (Post 11247651)

im after something useable and fun to drive and reading through several threads on certain upgrades i think a td04 hybrid will suffice for me, although i may sway if the right bits turn up whilst gathering parts aas i plan on leaving the turbo to last lol

M2RTXhawkeye 27 October 2013 06:20 PM

I had this set up mate and made 305bhp with very fast spool which made a quick fun road car.

TD04hybrid turbo
Sti pinks
Sti tmic
Full decat system
Pfr7 plugs
Harvey smith (rip) ported headers n up pipe
Green cotton panel filter
3 port bs
255 fuel pump
Open source map

With this set up you should get a big smile, my 5 speed broke few months later so dropped a 6speed in to future proof

Martin

LeeRoyV 27 October 2013 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by M2RTXbugeye (Post 11247666)
I had this set up mate and made 305bhp with very fast spool which made a quick fun road car.

TD04hybrid turbo
Sti pinks
Sti tmic
Full decat system
Pfr7 plugs
Harvey smith (rip) ported headers n up pipe
Green cotton panel filter
3 port bs
255 fuel pump
Open source map

With this set up you should get a big smile, my 5 speed broke few months later so dropped a 6speed in to future proof

Martin

awesome... a fun fast road car is what im after

M2RTXhawkeye 27 October 2013 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by LeeRoyV (Post 11247670)
awesome... a fun fast road car is what im after

Follow the list mate you won't go far wrong imo. That was probably the best my car ever drove I now have a vf34 and fmic got a but power hungry lol.

Martin

daijones 28 October 2013 01:42 AM

Given you're getting the turbo out anyway I'd probably go for a VF34/35 or TD05-16G and aim at 330-340bhp, still within the limits of the engine and box but for about the same amount of money and work you get an extra 40 horsepower. If you put the TD04H in and then want the extra - and you will! - then you've got the cost and work of swapping the turbo again.

If you're happy going for 300 hp then you probably don't need the new injectors and fuel pump, though they won't do any harm and would be useful for future upgrades (although the obvious future upgrade would be the VF34 etc!).

tomk86 28 October 2013 09:41 AM

I have an sti top mount for your year.

that spec will see the figures your after but personally i would budget for a 6 speed conversion as your box wont cope with too much fun lol