ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Amazing guitarist (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/987780-amazing-guitarist.html)

toneh 15 October 2013 07:59 PM

Amazing guitarist

Been playing guitar for a few years now ( badly ) and have always found guitarists like satriani , vai , Hendrix ect amazing
But a mate recently sent me this link
And for an acoustic I think this guy ranks among the best I've seen
Take a look see what you guys reckon

The Trooper 1815 15 October 2013 10:36 PM

That song is sapping my will to live. Good fretwork though.

davegtt 15 October 2013 10:59 PM

IMO best cover of a song ever. Guy was blind from 11 months old and plays like a legend. And if youre not a fan of covers, check out pretty much anything else the guy has done. Such a top bloke hes collaberated with Dire Straits, Deep Purple, Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ Top, BB King, Clapton. Not to mention all the people who have played live in his bar in Canada just out of respect for what is a quality musician who is so underated and unknown. Its a travesty everytime I hear someone say theyve never heard of him.

jonc 15 October 2013 11:08 PM

My kids are learning the guitar and sometimes look on youtube to listen to guitarist as suggested by their tutor and I thought this guy sounds pretty amazing on the guitar.

New_scooby_04 15 October 2013 11:15 PM

Lovely.

toon71 16 October 2013 08:09 AM

go on youtube and watch a young kid called sunga jung play ....mind blowing

the shreksta 16 October 2013 08:12 AM

this guy is amazing on the guitar,his skills are un-matched

yabbadoo4 16 October 2013 10:05 AM

this is an amazing guitar player:
if you like blues check out his album hot wires on youtube also:
that did it is a favourite. the blues lover is awsome too.

toon71 16 October 2013 11:05 AM

Paben 16 October 2013 11:11 AM

Dominic Miller, Sting's guitarist & soloist, brilliant classic or rock.

Brun 16 October 2013 11:27 AM

Still enjoying Jerry C myself :D

David Lock 16 October 2013 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11237293)
this is an amazing guitar player:Roy Buchanan 1976 / Hey Joe:Foxy Lady - YouTube
if you like blues check out his album hot wires on youtube also:Roy Buchanan - Hot Wires - YouTube that did it is a favourite. the blues lover is awsome too.

Roy Buchanan is my favourite blues guitarist. I lived in Washington DC and went out to see him play at a club outside DC at Bladensburg IIRC. He also played in London a couple of times and I saw him there.

Hey Joe as a tribute to Jimi is fantastic and check out When the Messiah Comes Again and Roys Bluz

Very sad when he had an early death in a cell with possible police involvement.

David

PS. And here's one we made before :)

http://www.jameslockmusic.com/Ocean.mp3

Fantom 16 October 2013 01:38 PM

This one always amazes me

yabbadoo4 16 October 2013 06:33 PM

roy was an awsome player for sure but was a tortured soul and there was some history with fairfax police and questions over his death but it doesnt take away from the fact the man was a genius with a telecaster in his hand!

toneh 16 October 2013 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fantom (Post 11237500)

Pretty standard blues with a few solo licks added , not much use of two handed technique or harmonics , it's just played quick which maybe to some folks makes it seem more impressive

the shreksta 16 October 2013 06:41 PM

heres a legend on the guitar,you might not dig the music but there is no question about his talent

R.I.P

LSherratt 16 October 2013 07:07 PM

I've seen that video before Toneh, and I like how he has grown his finger nails on the one hand and cut them to a point :lol1:

For some reason, I really like this and think his skills are awesome:

David Lock 16 October 2013 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11237742)
heres a legend on the guitar,you might not dig the music but there is no question about his talent

R.I.P

Solos of dimebag darrell - YouTube

King of the Shredders :)

dl

yabbadoo4 16 October 2013 07:20 PM

not really my type of stuff, pantera are a bit too death thrash for me but he was a good player at what he did. check out steve hillage:
if you like pink floyd you,ll like him. hes a great player. stick the headphones on have a listen. also this track:

toneh 16 October 2013 07:26 PM

The tapping , hammer on electric solo style has been done to death now and I find it very old hat , it was ok in the eighties when Eddie van halen , vai , satriani was doing it ,
I just find a decent guy with an acoustic and very little effects musically more appealing , maybe it's because I'm getting old

Btw from a guitar playing point of view ( not song writing ) the most overrated guitarist of all time has got to be Neil young , me and my mates swear to god he cannot be serious when he plays a solo , absolutely awfull noise

Kwik 16 October 2013 08:19 PM

Pfft, a guitar thread without the master?

....or the man I recently met....

toneh 16 October 2013 08:47 PM

I think it goes without saying Hendrix is gonna be one of the all time greats , I like dave gilmour's style a lot , most of it sounds so simple and layed back but is very effective,
One of my all time favourites has got to be , shine on you crazy diamond , a proper classic
I think sometimes less is more

Lydia72 16 October 2013 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 11237096)

IMO best cover of a song ever.

I prefer this version, Prince's solo about halfway through. Love the look on Dhani Harrison's face, great tribute to his dad :)

davegtt 17 October 2013 07:43 AM

Never seen that versioin before, enjoyed it. Thanks :thumb:

CREWJ 17 October 2013 10:09 AM

The guy in the OP vid has been doing the rounds lately.

I really like Jon Gomm

Lydia72 17 October 2013 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 11238218)
Never seen that versioin before, enjoyed it. Thanks :thumb:

Glad you liked it :) I am a big Prince fan anyway but I think with all the weirdness surrounding him sometimes people don't realise what a great guitarist he actually is.

Luan Pra bang 18 October 2013 01:50 PM

I find technical skill and soul can be different things when it comes to guiter playing, for raw acoustic skill then justin king has to be one of the best I ever.

Personally I prefer the music of rodrigo Y gabriella

CrisPDuk 18 October 2013 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by toneh (Post 11237801)
The tapping , hammer on electric solo style has been done to death now and I find it very old hat , it was ok in the eighties when Eddie van halen , vai , satriani was doing it ,
I just find a decent guy with an acoustic and very little effects musically more appealing , maybe it's because I'm getting old

Btw from a guitar playing point of view ( not song writing ) [b]the most overrated guitarist of all time has got to be Neil young [/]b, me and my mates swear to god he cannot be serious when he plays a solo , absolutely awfull noise

Amen.

I often wondered why, even when he's got Nils Lofgren in his band, he still continues to attempt (badly) his own solos :cuckoo:

The same thought applies also to Bruce Springsteen actually ;)