ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   What to do... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/986880-what-to-do.html)

scoootie5@work 04 October 2013 04:26 PM

What to do...

My turbo has gone pop and is leaking oil into my inlet and exhaust suspected Oil seals. Smoke everywhere.

Question is do I get a repair kit from eBay and fix it? or buy a new/recon unit?
The shaft a fair bit of play in it too.

I am having trouble sourcing a new/recon turbo from anywhere for less than £1000
I have tried contacting Andy Forrest but not receiving a reply by email or answer phone.

Can anyone please let me know what my best option is and where best to source repair kit or new/recon turbo at reasonable price.

Classic MY94 TD05H-16g

Thanks in advance
Scott

scooby87 04 October 2013 05:05 PM

If the decision was mine I would just by a second hand TD05 considering its nothing special. £1000 is ridiculous!

I bought one for like £60 and its fine, then for later life of your car save up and buy a better turbo....

toneh 04 October 2013 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by scoootie5@work (Post 11226517)
My turbo has gone pop and is leaking oil into my inlet and exhaust suspected Oil seals. Smoke everywhere.

Question is do I get a repair kit from eBay and fix it? or buy a new/recon unit?
The shaft a fair bit of play in it too.

I am having trouble sourcing a new/recon turbo from anywhere for less than £1000
I have tried contacting Andy Forrest but not receiving a reply by email or answer phone.

Can anyone please let me know what my best option is and where best to source repair kit or new/recon turbo at reasonable price.

Classic MY94 TD05H-16g

Thanks in advance
Scott

I've got a spare you could have for nowt , but I'm sorry I can't let you have it because I'm
An arrogant bloke with issues that's gonna get bitten

I'm sure either tubby tommy , f1 fan , rob day will give you one free though

Come on guys help a fellow Scooby owner ;)

*matthewturb2000* 04 October 2013 05:19 PM

Lol strange post,..... There are second hand turbos to be had 100£ for a good condition is it front inlet or 90degree

toneh 04 October 2013 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000* (Post 11226570)
Lol strange post,..... There are second hand turbos to be had 100£ for a good condition is it front inlet or 90degree

Probably Wouldn't matter he could use his old housing if it's not damaged

grey_boy 04 October 2013 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by toneh (Post 11226563)
I've got a spare you could have for nowt , but I'm sorry I can't let you have it because I'm

Thought you said you were not posting anymore....can you not keep away? lol

toneh 04 October 2013 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by grey_boy (Post 11226593)

Ok I'll pop on another thread , you sort the guy out with a turbo then
Put your money where your mouth is
Go on big man you've come on this thread to help I assume
Don't let me get in the way ;)

toneh 04 October 2013 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by grey_boy (Post 11226593)

Still waiting for a contribution related to the thread ?

*matthewturb2000* 04 October 2013 05:55 PM

True tone was just thinking of ease for the op to jus inbuilt the old and put in the New as opposed to opening the old one, out of curiosity how hard is it to change a cartridge say from a td04 13 to 19

toneh 04 October 2013 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000* (Post 11226614)
True tone was just thinking of ease for the op to jus inbuilt the old and put in the New as opposed to opening the old one, out of curiosity how hard is it to change a cartridge say from a td04 13 to 19

ask grey boy , he's interested in turbos and helping out
Why else would he pop on this thread

Sorry mate it's new policy , in order to avoid conflict I'll leave the thread when an irrelevant post appears

grey_boy 04 October 2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by toneh (Post 11226610)
Still waiting for a contribution related to the thread ?

Who made you the king of the forums

oooh someone hit there head on the grumpy tree today/this week/month/year boyo

Shame really.. lol matey

Anyways

Try Matt for a turbo, breaking lots of motors and really nice guys

search Mattybr5@MB Developments on here kido- hope he can help you

scoootie5@work 06 October 2013 12:41 AM

Thanks Guys

Its 90Degree, and i'm a bit hesitant buying a second hand one just in case its knackered too. But from a reputable company at least I will have someone to go back to if it is faulty. So will try MB Developments.
I have seen videos on rebuilding my turbo but not sure if its worth it. Balancing etc

Thanks
Scott

LuckyWelshchap 06 October 2013 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by toneh (Post 11226563)

You could of course have pm'd this info, and perhaps the op would have 'gone public' and said what a proper, genuine fellow enthusiast you were.

Fwiw offer it.
It will say far more about you than the apparent chip that the king of the swingers, the jungle VIP and his mob have put on your shoulder. :thumb:

scoootie5@work 08 October 2013 11:14 PM

I have sourced a new turbo at a reasonable price.
But. My turbo is a 14412-AA091 and the one I have been told is a direct replacement
Is a 14412-AA092. It looks identical with the 90deg inlet but just wanted to ask if it will fit my 1994 WRX RA without any problems and what the difference if any is??

LuckyWelshchap 09 October 2013 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by scoootie5@work (Post 11230674)
I have sourced a new turbo at a reasonable price.
But. My turbo is a 14412-AA091 and the one I have been told is a direct replacement
Is a 14412-AA092. It looks identical with the 90deg inlet but just wanted to ask if it will fit my 1994 WRX RA without any problems and what the difference if any is??

Have a deko at this: http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/engine.html

There's a couple of sites that have references to the 2 part numbers. It looks like they have slightly different 'exhaust wheels' and housing (to quote one Aussie site). One flows 5cfm more and is something like 2sq cm larger.