ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   V3-4 STi Type R/RA's - MPG? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/986537-v3-4-sti-type-r-ras-mpg.html)

Adma-RA 29 September 2013 11:17 PM

V3-4 STi Type R/RA's - MPG?

Before anyone shoots me down with the 'don't buy a Subaru for economy' line hear me out!

I'm seriously wanting a V3/4 Type R but I need to convince myself not to! I've recently sold a UK T2000 wagon, and have a V2 WRX and a V6 STi RA but both are in bits so I can't get the figures from them!

I do around 1500 miles a month, so need to know how much that's cost me in a TypeR. Of course an STi R/RA is going to give worse MPG than a normal STi of similar vintage due to the 4.44 diffs, so anyone got any figures for a standard car?

Thanks, Adam :thumb:

4evernewbie 29 September 2013 11:36 PM

I got anywhere between 18 and 22 on the original gearbox (2.1, VF28, standard injectors and I/C).
I've since fitted a Spec D 6speed but can't tell you about economy as I now have a few fueling problems :cry:
If it makes you feel any better, the C55 AMG in our household gets 22 at best (motorway miles) at worst it's 14 :lol1:
Porsche 964 gets 28ish.
Neither can touch the scoob for performance though.
Point being, there are better and worse cars you can drive for economy ;)
With 1500miles per month I'm guessing it's either a 2nd car or you don't live far from work. How about cycling to work :idea:
Paul

gpssti4 30 September 2013 07:10 AM

I got low to mid 20's when mine was standard - if I was driving sensibly.

ditchmyster 30 September 2013 07:46 AM

25/28 absolute max on a run tickling the gas and watching the boost like a hawk, and average about 22 on normal roads normal driving 15 if you give it some and about 100miles to a tank on a track day.

VF34 running 330bhp.

Gear Head 30 September 2013 08:49 AM

As above, my old STI 3 & 4 would struggle to get above 23mpg.
My newage WRX gets around 28mpg.

At 1500 miles a month, get a cheap little 'throw-away' diesel. Something like a little Polo.

:thumb:

stedee 30 September 2013 12:48 PM

i bought a fabia vrs as my everydayer, have to admit i love it.
well built, lots of nice gadgets, well thought out, fast and 48mpg

Adma-RA 30 September 2013 10:42 PM

Thanks all - that's exactly the reality check I needed! Basically I've started work in Cumbria (on WRC cars of all things...), but travel home to Pembrokeshire every 2 weeks at around 320 miles each way. At the moment I'm using my Clio Trophy as my daily and if I'm honest it's perfect for the journey - 40MPG on the motorway with cruise control on for the first 3 hours, then 2 hours of some incredible roads down through Wales for which the Trophy is possibly the best car ever made! BUT, I need something a bit bigger and that I wouldn't be so upset about piling the mileage on! It still needs to be a proper drivers car as the midnight run down through Wales is the best part of my month!

Any suggestions?

(I hate the first gen VRS, don't know why but I just do lol).

Gear Head 30 September 2013 10:51 PM

If you aren't bothered about image, the 2 generation Nissan Micra is a great little car. 50mpg day in day out on the 1.0 L and so cheap to maintain too.

Adma-RA 30 September 2013 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 11223301)
If you aren't bothered about image, the 2 generation Nissan Micra is a great little car. 50mpg day in day out on the 1.0 L and so cheap to maintain too.

A micra is smaller than a Clio? And whilst I have had the thrill of ragging the knackers off an underpowered car in the past I don't think it'd suit the B-road hero in me!