ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Spec C question. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/986535-spec-c-question.html)

TurboAndy 29 September 2013 10:19 PM

Spec C question.

I have an MY04 Spec C WR Limited. The windscreen is stone chipped to hell. Ive spoken to Auto Windscreens who asked if it has a lightweight windscreen. I know the side windows are lightweight and am I correct in saying that the windscreen is just a standard impreza screen?

JdcTypeR 29 September 2013 10:22 PM

I think it maybe lightweight as i'm sure I read on here that someone struggled to get one and the windscreen company fitted a standard one by mistake.

tubbytommy 29 September 2013 10:22 PM

speak to ty aka cannon fodder he had a big arguement about the screen, it should be thinner in a spec c

juggers 29 September 2013 10:35 PM

Nope the screen on the spec c is lighter however you can replace it with a standard STI screen. Not sure they will have replacements here in the UK.

TurboAndy 29 September 2013 10:38 PM

Thanks guys.

LuckyWelshchap 30 September 2013 12:00 AM

Yep Spec C lighter glass ALL round.

However:

a) the additional weight of a standard windscreen would have a minimal/even negligible effect on performance;
b) a standard windscreen would be unlikely to be detected or looked for;
c) taking (a) and (b) into account you wouldn't be 'doing' a buyer, even with FSH.

So, if you need the car as a dd don't delay by insisting on a Spec C replacement, otherwise hold out.

tubbytommy 30 September 2013 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap (Post 11222279)
Yep Spec C lighter glass ALL round.

However:

a) the additional weight of a standard windscreen would have a minimal/even negligible effect on performance;
b) a standard windscreen would be unlikely to be detected or looked for;
c) taking (a) and (b) into account you wouldn't be 'doing' a buyer, even with FSH.

So, if you need the car as a dd don't delay by insisting on a Spec C replacement, otherwise hold out.

but to enthusiasts fitting the correct parts is everything.
and an enthusiast could tell just by looking its the incorrect screen and to save a 200 word clever reply asking why ill tell you.

the jdm screen doesnt have the panel to see the chassis codes like the uk cars do.

LuckyWelshchap 30 September 2013 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11222285)
but to enthusiasts fitting the correct parts is everything.
and an enthusiast could tell just by looking its the incorrect screen and to save a 200 word clever reply asking why ill tell you.

the jdm screen doesnt have the panel to see the chassis codes like the uk cars do.

Yes, as now doubt you'll realise that I realise.

195-word reply, to be precise.

It's not a JDM screen that's the issue, it's a Spec C one.
Am I correct in assuming that you mean a Spec C screen, not simply any JDM one, or do all JDM screens come with chassis codes visible?

And you have saved a 200-worder.

I don't need Word to automate the count of 76 words in this response.

:) (plus emoticon).

EssexJamie 30 September 2013 01:07 AM

If you own a Spec C then your going to want the correct window. As said any enthusiast will no it's wrong.

tubbytommy 30 September 2013 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by EssexJamie (Post 11222310)
If you own a Spec C then your going to want the correct window. As said any enthusiast will no it's wrong.

exactly:thumb:

mantazini 30 September 2013 06:31 AM

If you lot are such enthusiasts , how come Things Like BC's , K-Sport and other "quality" goodies have been used on your cars? Not talking about service parts . Just be realistic ;)

TurboAndy 30 September 2013 06:59 AM

Thanks peeps.

As its meant to have a lighter screen then I want the correct one fitted.

JdcTypeR 30 September 2013 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by TurboAndy (Post 11222335)
Thanks peeps.

As its meant to have a lighter screen then I want the correct one fitted.

+1

ditchmyster 30 September 2013 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by mantazini (Post 11222327)
If you lot are such enthusiasts , how come Things Like BC's , K-Sport and other "quality" goodies have been used on your cars? Not talking about service parts . Just be realistic ;)

That might have something to do with the originals being sh!t.:lol1:

But shuuuuuuuush don't tell anyone.:lol1:

tubbytommy 30 September 2013 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11222372)
That might have something to do with the originals being sh!t.:lol1:

But shuuuuuuuush don't tell anyone.:lol1:

like the wrx pps brakes and suspension which you "claim" you have changed but shhhh dont tell anyone :thumb:

Cannon Fodder 30 September 2013 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by EssexJamie (Post 11222310)

Another thing that will give the game away as regards the differences between the JDM and UK screens are that the borders are different, plus the rear view mirrors are different as well meaning the shaded area around the mounting points are dofferent shapes as well. :)

EssexJamie 30 September 2013 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by mantazini (Post 11222327)

Think it depends on the Impreza Model you own, mines a run of the mill WRX so it doesn't matter what I bung on mine. But if you have a limited edition that came with certain unique bits it's worth trying to keep it in that guise IMO.

ditchmyster 30 September 2013 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11222373)
like the wrx pps brakes and suspension which you "claim" you have changed but shhhh dont tell anyone :thumb:

Hello again.:D

You obviously have some sort of mental disorder because you never seem to get anything right no matter how many times your told, i've also gathered that this is a problem that runs into your personal life too, over the past year or so, I suggest you go and have your brain function looked at because it's obvious to me that you have some sort of problem, and that's not a joke.

Well I suppose it could just be that your a simpleton, so ill spell it out for you in a manner that befits your level of intelligence.

So i'll say it again, I, (that's me in the first person context), Bought, (that's purchased in the passed tense) the car With (which in this context means including), these parts on.

Key words highlighted to help you remember.:thumb:

Only things I have added is wheels, stereo and a cherry air freshener in a tin under the drivers seat.:thumb:

Edit to add; and a set of 3 gauges.

tubbytommy 30 September 2013 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11222415)
Hello again.:D

You obviously have some sort of mental disorder because you never seem to get anything right no matter how many times your told, i've also gathered that this is a problem that runs into your personal life too, over the past year or so, I suggest you go and have your brain function looked at because it's obvious to me that you have some sort of problem, and that's not a joke.

Well I suppose it could just be that your a simpleton, so ill spell it out for you in a manner that befits your level of intelligence.

So i'll say it again, I, (that's me in the first person context), Bought, (that's purchased in the passed tense) the car With (which in this context means including), these parts on.

Key words highlighted to help you remember.:thumb:

Only things I have added is wheels, stereo and a cherry air freshener in a tin under the drivers seat.:thumb:

oooh touched a nerve :lol:

ditchmyster 30 September 2013 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11222417)
oooh touched a nerve :lol:

Not even in your wet dreams mate.;)

TonyBurns 30 September 2013 10:39 AM

Unfortunately you wont be able to get the lightweight screen from any windscreen company, as for their price, if you like to be shocked, you wont get much change from £1000, yup they are that expensive :eek: and very hard to get hold of in the UK :(

TurboAndy 30 September 2013 10:59 AM

£795 inc vat Tony :-O

LuckyWelshchap 30 September 2013 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by TurboAndy (Post 11222459)
£795 inc vat Tony :-O

Bargain price - grab it !

I'm surprised. Had to have mine replaced on my standard 95 WRX about 3-4 years ago, under insurance.
I happened to see the invoice - nearly £700.

The Trooper 1815 30 September 2013 12:09 PM

VC had a Hawk Spec C RA. An OE Screen from Japan, with taxes, postage and fitting was knocking on the door or £1500.

Enjoy!

LuckyWelshchap 30 September 2013 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11222514)
VC had a Hawk Spec C RA. An OE Screen from Japan, with taxes, postage and fitting was knocking on the door or £1500.

Enjoy!

AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Higher repair costs than the wife.

MattyB1983 30 September 2013 12:44 PM

I can guarantee you that I wouldn't be spending a grand or more on a windscreen.

Just stick a normal screen in, I very much doubt any future buyer would notice and even if they did its not exactly a big issue. I can't see someone turning a car down because it doesn't have the original screen in.

You'll never see that grand back and I can assure you it won't decrease the cars value by anything like a grand.

TurboAndy 30 September 2013 01:03 PM

Im not buying it lol. Im going through the insurance company. If my car was built with a lightweight screen then it should be replaced with the same other wise I might as well just have a standard sti.

Cannon Fodder 30 September 2013 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by TurboAndy (Post 11222563)
Im not buying it lol. Im going through the insurance company. If my car was built with a lightweight screen then it should be replaced with the same other wise I might as well just have a standard sti.

I believe that Autoglass UK may well have one on the 'shelf', I sourced my own in the end as they couldn't source one as quickly as I could.

By the time Autoglass had their screen arrive I had already had mine fitted and the car had been back on the road for 4 weeks, if it helps them find it ask them to speak to their Swansea branch.

LuckyWelshchap 30 September 2013 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11222549)
I can guarantee you that I wouldn't be spending a grand or more on a windscreen.

Just stick a normal screen in, I very much doubt any future buyer would notice and even if they did its not exactly a big issue. I can't see someone turning a car down because it doesn't have the original screen in.

You'll never see that grand back and I can assure you it won't decrease the cars value by anything like a grand.

I agree.
You'd have to be pretty fastidious to turn down a car or offer £1,000 less because it's got a non-standard windscreen, although I can see the other side of the coin if the car is a (potential) investment, like that RS Cosworth here a week or two back.

LuckyWelshchap 30 September 2013 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by TurboAndy (Post 11222563)

And of course it's why you pay a higher insurance premium, so they should be replacing like for like.