ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   2006 STI 6 Speed Gearbox in/out price? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/986512-2006-sti-6-speed-gearbox-in-out-price.html)

akhan789 29 September 2013 07:02 PM

2006 STI 6 Speed Gearbox in/out price?

Hi guys,

New to the forum but i've been lurking about for a long time.

Simple question; Does anyone know what kind of price range I should be looking at for a garage to remove my 6 speed gearbox and put it back in? (I've already had a quote for a guy that can work on the internals of it therefore this is just a general price for in/out of a 6 speed gearbox)?

Also how many hours should it take for a typical garage to remove a gearbox and put it back in?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Worlasshasansti 29 September 2013 07:07 PM

Have you not got a mate who's handy with spanners? It's an easy job probably a couple of hours tops.

What work you having done to the box? I was quoted £600 to have my synchros replaced.

Mick

akhan789 29 September 2013 07:42 PM

Yeah i've got a guy who is taking the box out for me and putting it back in but a third party is actually doing the gearbox work. I feel that the gearbox work itself i'm being charged for is reasonable but it's the in/out labour which this guy is charging me I am not so sure about and just wanted some clarification on what kind of prices I should be looking at. It would appear he is charging me well in the region of ~£300 just for taking the gearbox in/out of my car.

GezP 29 September 2013 09:15 PM

I'll pm you Tim (Subbus) mobile. He's just rebiult a 6speed and fitted it to my scoob.

Can't recommend this guy enough, he will come to you as he's a mobile mechanic

rooferman 29 September 2013 09:54 PM

As above ... Tim is your man...;)

MattyB1983 30 September 2013 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by akhan789 (Post 11222026)
Yeah i've got a guy who is taking the box out for me and putting it back in but a third party is actually doing the gearbox work. I feel that the gearbox work itself i'm being charged for is reasonable but it's the in/out labour which this guy is charging me I am not so sure about and just wanted some clarification on what kind of prices I should be looking at. It would appear he is charging me well in the region of ~£300 just for taking the gearbox in/out of my car.

£300 to remove and refit a box :eek:

Half that would be reasonable imo. Its an hours work to pull the box if you have a ramp.

bigarf 30 September 2013 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11222290)
£300 to remove and refit a box :eek:

Half that would be reasonable imo. Its an hours work to pull the box if you have a ramp.

I must have removed a 6 speed box over 30 times now but never managed to get one out in an hour.

MattyB1983 30 September 2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by bigarf (Post 11222332)
I must have removed a 6 speed box over 30 times now but never managed to get one out in an hour.

You got a ramp ??

I've pulled one in not much more than an hour with the help of a mechanic pal, but obviously we had a ramp and all the tools etc.

OP, are you planning on storing the car at the garage while the box is out as that could be the reason the price is what it is.

tubbytommy 30 September 2013 09:48 AM

another one for tim, he is a top bloke

akhan789 30 September 2013 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11222408)
You got a ramp ??

I've pulled one in not much more than an hour with the help of a mechanic pal, but obviously we had a ramp and all the tools etc.

OP, are you planning on storing the car at the garage while the box is out as that could be the reason the price is what it is.

He just got back to me with the final price of labour at £320. Just for in/out of the gearbox...

Yes the car is being stored at the garage, however, he hasn't charged for that. He just said £320 for the labour as above.

Hmm, thanks for the replies. He's actually got my car now so we'll see how this situation plays out. I don't plan on spending £320 for labour unless he can justify what the whole £320 is for.:nono:

rooferman 30 September 2013 12:32 PM

Tim removed a 5 speed box, diff prop, linkage etc...installed a 6 speed as above with some slight mods all on my driveway for less than that !

akhan789 30 September 2013 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by rooferman (Post 11222539)
Tim removed a 5 speed box, diff prop, linkage etc...installed a 6 speed as above with some slight mods all on my driveway for less than that !

sigh... jesus christ.

bigarf 30 September 2013 01:09 PM

[QUOTE=MattyB1983;11222408]You got a ramp ??

No.i use a pit which id say was about as quick to work with as a ramp.