ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Lancaster bomber (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/984274-lancaster-bomber.html)

RobsyUK 01 September 2013 08:54 PM

Lancaster bomber

While cleaning the car to day in Milton Keynes a bomber came over from the south at a crazy low height. After a few it full circled and was off again.

It was crazy loud and an amazing sound. I would love to hear an entire fleet going over at night.

Wicked

The Dogs B******s 01 September 2013 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 11196703)
While cleaning the car to day in Milton Keynes a bomber came over from the south at a crazy low height. After a few it full circled and was off again.

It was crazy loud and an amazing sound. I would love to hear an entire fleet going over at night.

Wicked

I think it was just setting off to Syria;)

LDNSTi 01 September 2013 09:03 PM

They are amazing. Although you will never hear an entire fleet. Only 2 flying in the world. The other is in Canada I believe. Although hopefully the uk will have another flying soon, "just Jane". But who knows.

Big-G 01 September 2013 10:23 PM

Once heard, never forgotten. :thumb:

Loud enought to be heard above a Vulcan..

Tidgy 01 September 2013 10:25 PM

sound of freedom :)

jayallen 01 September 2013 10:28 PM

Its been down here(Bournemouth) since Thursday, part of the four day airshow....Looked great doing its thing over the beach with the Spitfire and Hurricane by its side...:thumb:

kingofturds 01 September 2013 10:40 PM

I saw it at the Dartmouth regatta at the weekend,it was an amazing sight.

CrisPDuk 01 September 2013 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Big-G (Post 11196801)
Once heard, never forgotten. :thumb:

Loud enought to be heard above a Vulcan..
Vulcan & Lancaster flypast - YouTube

:thumb: :cool:

To be fair, the Vulcan was just above idling ;)

mart360 01 September 2013 11:22 PM

It was at Shoreham today :)

Sadly the Vulcan was a no show :( due to a fuel leak

Mart

Jamo 01 September 2013 11:35 PM

Saw it land actually :)

Big-G 02 September 2013 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 11196825)
:thumb: :cool:

To be fair, the Vulcan was just above idling ;)

The Vulcan pilot was just being polite and showing respect to the Lanky.
If you've ever seen a Vulcan doing a display, you will now that quiet has been crossed off the list. :lol1:

*matthewturb2000* 02 September 2013 09:01 AM

Duxford war museum up the road from me think the Lancaster usually lives there,good day out even if you gotta travel there loads of planes tanks guns cannons

Leslie 02 September 2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Big-G (Post 11197003)
The Vulcan pilot was just being polite and showing respect to the Lanky.
If you've ever seen a Vulcan doing a display, you will now that quiet has been crossed off the list. :lol1:

All part of the fun of course! People like to hear an air display aircraft at full chat anyway.

If you had the 201 engines they used to howl at full poke while the later 301 engines had so much poke that they used to make peoples' stomachs rattle!

The best bit was to hoick it up to the true vertical off the runway and climb to about 3500 feet and then shut the throttles so everyone thought the engines had failed and then do a steep spiral descent to do a short landing showing that with the big tail brake chute you could stop in about 1400 feet. Thats not very far for such a large aircraft.

I saw the Red Arrows and the Typhoon at Dartmouth on Saturday and the Lancaster yesterday giving outstanding air displays as you might imagine.

My house stands by itself on top of a hill and it is an irresistible target when they are sweeping around the place. They come booming over my house at very low level, It really is quite shameful believe me and I look forward to it every year. :D I did it myself once when I was in a Dominie and I had Mrs Leslie sitting beside me in the co pilot's seat. That was when we had just bought the house and was just before we moved in. I had organised the training route we were using to include the house ;)

It is a great regret to me that I never had the chance to do a display at Dartmouth in the Vulcan, The aircraft was well suited to getting round the odd tightish corner as you approached the town and it would have been great fun to do. We were not as restricted in what we could do as the present Vulcan is. Just a distant memory now of course!

Les