ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Godspeed 4 pot conv. Suitable for trackdays? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/98424-godspeed-4-pot-conv-suitable-for-trackdays.html)

hmhaga 22 May 2002 03:07 PM

The stock disc/caliper/pad setup on my MY98 5dr doesn't handle track days at all. The discs overheat and crack, the pads get glazed and the brake fluid boils (Castrol SRF). Total disaster :-)

Anyone who has any experience with the Godspeed 4 pot conversion on track days?

Andy Hamp 22 May 2002 03:54 PM

Hi,

I've got the GodSpeed 335mm conversion on my MY01. I've done a couple of trackdays since fitting them and haven't had an problems with them. But to be fair i've not been brakeing as hard as i could. So far the calipers haven't got beyond touchable temperature !

Cheers ... Andy

scoobyboy 22 May 2002 10:00 PM

andy how long did you have to wait for your brakes?

Andy Hamp 22 May 2002 11:10 PM

To be honest, i can't really remember. I think Ian originally quoted me between 7 & 10 days and i think it ended up being just under 3 weeks. Unfortunately i'm still waiting for a set of Goodridge hoses Ian owes me .... (if you're listening ian !)

Worth waiting for though. Best £600 i've spent on the car so far.

Andy

DAVE-W 23 May 2002 07:25 PM

Got the 308mm / 4 pot kit for my 95 wrx....excellent kit.

Not done any trackdays but they've been superb on "spirited" ;) driving through the Welsh hillsides :D

Dave

TBMeech 23 May 2002 10:22 PM

You want to speak to MKhan the master of warping anything brake wise ;) - he's had the Godspeed conversion on his car.

Andy Hamp 24 May 2002 12:11 AM

TB,

To be fair to Godspeed, if you try hard enough you can warp anything.

Also, warping in not usually a symptom of over use, but of poor cooling down. The number of times I’ve been to track days and seen people come off track with there pad's smoking is ridiculous. Then they park up and stand there admiring the smoke. If you're sensible, take a lap or two and cool things down before coming in and stopping (there's even nothing wrong with having a couple of easy lap's in the middle of a session). And even then don't put the hand brake on, and don't let the pad's sit over a single point on the disk. Have some sympathy for the disk and pads.

Cheers .. Andy

PS - How about not having to use the brake so hard anyway... why not try going through the corners quicker :)

dela 27 May 2002 11:24 AM

I'm very happy with my Godspeed setup,
I was at a Wiltshire airfield day on Friday and they withstood many 20 minute sessions.
My setup is:
Subaru 4-pot calipers, widened to accept:-
super wide, standard diameter (294cm) 2 part disks (alloy bells)
Goodridge hoses all round
Silkolene race fluid
Pagid RS42 Blue pads

You have to get the whole package sorted though, I have been out at Donnington before with just Lucas Dot5.1 fluid and Ferodo DS2000 pads and managed to boil the fluid and smoke the pads out.

dela