ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Difference between wrx and sti (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/983625-difference-between-wrx-and-sti.html)

Rob Kelz 25 August 2013 03:44 PM

Difference between wrx and sti

Wat are the differences between the wrx and sti? Looking at 2003-2005 models but apart from the obvious spoiler, interior and 6 speed gearbox what are the other differences?

I know they are 40bhp more but what's different to accomplish this? And I been told a sti is a forged engine as wrx isn't?

TonyBurns 25 August 2013 04:47 PM

Everything, its mechanically 90+% different (WRX-STI), don't even compare the 2, no point.

Tony:)

Rob Kelz 25 August 2013 04:48 PM

What about sti type uk compared to normal sti?

forgedmarco 25 August 2013 04:54 PM

Sti's aren't forged either

Rob Kelz 25 August 2013 04:57 PM

Oh right, I read that from the first line here, http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forum...ng-1st-subaru/

Steve's Sti 25 August 2013 04:57 PM

Sti type uk is an uk sti differs from jdm usdm etc

tubbytommy 25 August 2013 05:43 PM

Utter crap wrx with ppp is the best car by far.
in wagon form its faster than a rover which as we all know is a ferrari beater

Rob Kelz 25 August 2013 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11189301)
Utter crap wrx with ppp is the best car by far.
in wagon form its faster than a rover which as we all know is a ferrari beater

I thought the wrx was only capable of 350bhp due to the gearbox? What are the internals capable of?

TonyBurns 25 August 2013 06:52 PM

You start pushing the limits on the wrx around the 350bhp mark, gearboxes can be tempremental but its torque that kills those (and clutches), the STI is far stronger mechanically than the wrx.

tubbytommy 25 August 2013 06:58 PM

The wrx has a better gearbox and is faster with better suspension.

TylerDurden 25 August 2013 07:07 PM

I went from wrx to sti, wish I did it sooner, better engine, better brakes, better gearbox, avcs, and its quite a bit better to drive, feels more planted on the road than what the wrx did, and once I had mapped it was a completely different car to the wrx, much better fun!

Rob Kelz 25 August 2013 07:07 PM

How is a wrx gearbox better if they are only capable of 350bhp? May be faster but only due to gear ratios obviously

tubbytommy 25 August 2013 07:12 PM

The 5 speeds ratios are far better as is the suspension.

53 25 August 2013 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11189364)
The wrx has a better gearbox and is faster with better suspension.

+1 WRX PPP is a performance paradox, better than any STi ever produced. :thumb:

Rob Kelz 25 August 2013 07:14 PM

I thought PPP was just the filter, exhaust, intercooler pipe/tip and ecu/map?

tubbytommy 25 August 2013 07:18 PM

No wrx ppp is even better than spec c ra

TonyBurns 25 August 2013 07:24 PM

WRX's have soft suspension, roll too much, have no steering feel (it drives like my Citroen C3 if im honest :lol1: but I get 2.5x the fuel economy ;))
5 speed box has too long a gear ratio and isn't as precise as you would want it to be (its notchy and they say that STI boxes can be, yup welcome to Subaru :D)

If you want a luxury cruiser then go for a WRX SL with PPP, if you want a real performance car then go for the STI ;) (or even better, a JDM version :D)

53 25 August 2013 07:26 PM

It's a whole package of STi beating performance enhancements :thumb:

scoobaru mad 25 August 2013 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 11189403)
WRX's have soft suspension, roll too much, have no steering feel (it drives like my Citroen C3 if im honest :lol1: but I get 2.5x the fuel economy ;))
5 speed box has too long a gear ratio and isn't as precise as you would want it to be (its notchy and they say that STI boxes can be, yup welcome to Subaru :D)

If you want a luxury cruiser then go for a WRX SL with PPP, if you want a real performance car then go for the STI ;) (or even better, a JDM version :D)

JDM JDM JDM JDM JDM :Whatever_

Change the record tony...

tubbytommy 25 August 2013 07:36 PM

Nah wrx ppp wagon is the best impreza ever the end ;)

thenewgalaxy 25 August 2013 07:47 PM

Without trying to be controversial sometimes there is not much in it, sometimes it is like comparing night and day.

The WRX is essentially a boggo Impreza with a turbocharged engine.

The STi is a completely overhauled car with an uprated and overhauled engine, differential, brakes, suspension and chassis. It is a far more capable performance car.

If you wish to compare a standard WRX to a Prodrive STi then there is a huge difference as the STi is a faster and more capable car. It's when you start comparing different states of tune that things become closer.

A cursory glance at the stats of a WRX PPP and an entry level STi pre-hawk era would suggest there is not much in it. The WRX would feel torquier in higher gears and unless you gave them both some welly on a challenging road (that tested the suspension and brakes etc) you'd be hard pushed to separate them.

A well-tuned and remapped WRX with a set of decent coil overs and uprated brakes is capable of slaying junior Supercars on a good B road. It'll also have a better power to weight ratio than a boggo STi and will be quicker through the gears. However there are limits and it is probably not a good idea to push one beyond 350/350 on standard internals - and that would require a bit of work. There is a chap on here called Jura who has a monster of a WRX build and he would smoke most of us with it.

However, tuning an STi to figures higher than this is far more accessible and some of the cars knocking around on here are very potent indeed!

My advice? If you're a keen driver with a decent budget get the STi and go from there. However it is worth remembering that a modest bug WRX with a couple of grand thrown at it is a potent performance machine.

tubbytommy 25 August 2013 07:52 PM

^ no a driving god once told us the wrx ppp is the one to buy.
he knows as he once beat a ferrari in a rover and lapped the ring faster than the m5 taxi....

MattyB1983 25 August 2013 08:00 PM

You're forgetting the out dated AP 4 pots he's got too Dan.......lol.......

the shreksta 25 August 2013 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy (Post 11189433)
Without trying to be controversial sometimes there is not much in it, sometimes it is like comparing night and day.

The WRX is essentially a boggo Impreza with a turbocharged engine.

The STi is a completely overhauled car with an uprated and overhauled engine, differential, brakes, suspension and chassis. It is a far more capable performance car.

If you wish to compare a standard WRX to a Prodrive STi then there is a huge difference as the STi is a faster and more capable car. It's when you start comparing different states of tune that things become closer.

A cursory glance at the stats of a WRX PPP and an entry level STi pre-hawk era would suggest there is not much in it. The WRX would feel torquier in higher gears and unless you gave them both some welly on a challenging road (that tested the suspension and brakes etc) you'd be hard pushed to separate them.

A well-tuned and remapped WRX with a set of decent coil overs and uprated brakes is capable of slaying junior Supercars on a good B road. It'll also have a better power to weight ratio than a boggo STi and will be quicker through the gears. However there are limits and it is probably not a good idea to push one beyond 350/350 on standard internals - and that would require a bit of work. There is a chap on here called Jura who has a monster of a WRX build and he would smoke most of us with it.

However, tuning an STi to figures higher than this is far more accessible and some of the cars knocking around on here are very potent indeed!

My advice? If you're a keen driver with a decent budget get the STi and go from there. However it is worth remembering that a modest bug WRX with a couple of grand thrown at it is a potent performance machine.

just out of interest whats so special about the sti engine and why can it run 450+ bhp on standard internals? is it part forged?

MattyB1983 25 August 2013 08:01 PM

Where is Ditch anyway, not seen him on here for a while. Wonder if his AP's let him down while beating a veyron through the twisties......

jayallen 25 August 2013 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 11189256)
Everything, its mechanically 90+% different (WRX-STI), don't even compare the 2, no point.

Sorry Tony you are wrong!

The WRX is the better car and nothing in the real world up to 80mph can touch it.....These are the points that make it better..

1. Better interior
2. Softer suspension( I mean, who wants rally car hard suspension on a...........road going rally car!)
3. A punchier all round better turbo in the TD04, those VF35's are real laggy mofo's
4. No Carlos fantango spolier, much better suited to the WRX ironing board
5.Nicer gearbox and stronger than people give it credit for(the 6 speed isn't as strong as first thought)
5a. Better gear ratios, always throwing gears at it....see point 2, road going rally car
6. Crappy Brembos always need helicoiling when ever removed
7. Stupid beeping thing when changing gear.

All according to one member who, funnily enough I haven't seen post of late.........maybe he's in rehab..:cuckoo:

jayallen 25 August 2013 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11189437)
and lapped the ring faster than the m5 taxi....

That's not quite right.......!

He can lap quicker in the wet in his Type R than the ring taxi M5 can lap in the dry..

thenewgalaxy 25 August 2013 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11189446)
just out of interest whats so special about the sti engine and why can it run 450+ bhp on standard internals? is it part forged?

I wouldn't run a standard engine over 400bhp and if it was a standard 2.5 I'd argue that it isn't capable of its stock power output!

In short it is just made from more durable parts, has a larger turbo, larger intercooler etc etc...

Edit - many would disagree with that first set of statements!

trevsjwood 25 August 2013 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Kelz (Post 11189226)
Wat are the differences between the wrx and sti? Looking at 2003-2005 models but apart from the obvious spoiler, interior and 6 speed gearbox what are the other differences?

I know they are 40bhp more but what's different to accomplish this? And I been told a sti is a forged engine as wrx isn't?

in standard form the STI runs a bigger turbo/injectors/intercooler/freeflowing exhaust.
The usual route when upgrading the wrx is to follow the sti with bolt-ons, turbo etc. I did this and found I was always 20hp short of the STI, bolt-ons like for like. The heads on the sti have a more aggressive action and flow more air, the engine is stronger and can run more boost, so ultimately 440hp upper limit with the sti, 350hp with the wrx. The limiting factor isn't the wrx 5speed, mine broke running 450lbsft torque through it.
The WRX is more docile but great fun, I've modded mine out of all recognition and always focused on what I'd gained, never so much on what I had in fact lost.
Trev

tubbytommy 25 August 2013 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by jayallen (Post 11189454)
That's not quite right.......!

He can lap quicker in the wet in his Type R than the ring taxi M5 can lap in the dry..

Was that before or after he beat that ferrari in the 1.4 rover i forget now.