ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   brake disk fixing help (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/983553-brake-disk-fixing-help.html)

Bezza 24 August 2013 03:48 PM

brake disk fixing help

Hi all

im a newby to the whole diy maintenance world but decided to give it a go changing my brake pads. I did the back first. Pads came out easy enough and the disk seemed firmly attached to what ever its attached to (didn't really check) when I moved on to the front when pulling out the pads I noticed the disk moving and with the pads removed it seems like it would just slide completely off if it wasn't for the caliper.
so my question is this are disk brakes only held in place by the wheel / wheel nuts. Ive a got a quick video of the movement but just gota work out how to upload it.

Many thanks

Ross

AS Performance 24 August 2013 03:57 PM

totally normal, the disc cant go anywhere once the wheel is on the hub.......

alcazar 24 August 2013 05:14 PM

As above, dead easy to change the disc once the caliper is off too.

Bezza 25 August 2013 01:26 AM

Many thanks just thought it wierd spesh as backs didnt seem to wobble

PhilWrx100 25 August 2013 07:56 AM

Your back disks probably wouldn't move much due to being in contact with brake shoes inside. A lot car manufacturers hold the disks in place with a counter sink screw, just not the subaru way :thumb:

LDNSTi 25 August 2013 08:04 AM

What car ? What brakes do you have? Brembos? If so, be aware that it is common for the caliper bolt to completely strip the thread in the brembo caliper. This is because subaru use a steel bolt to attach to the aluminium caplier. The dissimilar metals are then subject to galvanic corrosion. Then you have to reach for the helicoils :).

alcazar 25 August 2013 10:28 AM

Aye...brilliant "German Engineering"....

Quite why they don't cast in a thread, or fit helicoils themselves, I dunno.

300gnspitzer 25 August 2013 11:40 AM

The engineering is Italian

AS Performance 25 August 2013 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by PhilWrx100 (Post 11188893)
Your back disks probably wouldn't move much due to being in contact with brake shoes inside. A lot car manufacturers hold the disks in place with a counter sink screw, just not the subaru way :thumb:

the only cars that do this are generally FWD and use wheel bolts so its to assist wheel fitment and stop the disc rotating, blocking the stud hole.............

alcazar 25 August 2013 08:09 PM

And a right pain they can be when the screw siezes up.......

kevo10 25 August 2013 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11189457)
And a right pain they can be when the screw siezes up.......

TOO feckin right lol

PhilWrx100 25 August 2013 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by AS Performance (Post 11189415)
the only cars that do this are generally FWD and use wheel bolts so its to assist wheel fitment and stop the disc rotating, blocking the stud hole.............

Very good point. All my previous cars have been front wheel drive. :thumb: