ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Do fmic's and cone filters affect mpg (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/983207-do-fmics-and-cone-filters-affect-mpg.html)

stu9 20 August 2013 08:55 AM

Do fmic's and cone filters affect mpg

Or does it not matter, just wondered

I'd thought about putting mine back to standard that way as I've never been a fan of either of them anyway

marshall332bhp 20 August 2013 09:31 AM

If mpg bothers you I think you should sell up and buy a diesel.

dazzaturbo 20 August 2013 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by marshall332bhp (Post 11184363)
If mpg bothers you I think you should sell up and buy a diesel.

Not really what he asked is it :lol1: I think about mpg but I that doesn't mean I can't afford to run my car.

Anyway

I think cone filters do affect mpg not sure about front mounts.

stu9 20 August 2013 10:03 AM

Thanks Daz, I thought cones did but not sure about fmic's

Marshal, if you can't say any constructive shut up....we don't all mods like that, and if a tmic was good enough for Colin McRae it's good enough for ordinary arseholse

*matthewturb2000* 20 August 2013 10:08 AM

I think a fmic would as it compresses more density air thus more fuel would go in the mix too? That's just my thinking, and a cone filter would too as it lets more air through too??

JohnD 20 August 2013 10:10 AM

Certainly, if you had both you would need map adjustments. The combination would have an effect on mpg, not necessarily for the worse if mapped well.

JohnD

LuckyWelshchap 20 August 2013 11:22 AM

I'd have said it would indirectly affect mpg.

Why put an FMIC on? Usually as part of a mod, which increases bhp, which decreases mpg etc. etc.

I agree with JohnD about remapping. It certainly doesn't automatically mean less mpg (got about 5% better mpg with about 7% more bhp on a recent wise investment in JGM's skills).

marshall332bhp 20 August 2013 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by stu9 (Post 11184380)

Marshal, if you can't say any constructive shut up....we don't all mods like that, and if a tmic was good enough for Colin McRae it's good enough for ordinary arseholse

It was constructive. You have to add up the costs involved. Remap plus parts. If it were for mpg purposes how long would it take you to recover the money spent vs saved pennies in petrol. I had tmic don't really like FMIC either.

Tidgy 20 August 2013 01:56 PM

i think you'll find colin mcrae didnt run a top mount lol

marshall332bhp 20 August 2013 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by dazzaturbo (Post 11184365)
Not really what he asked is it.

Well that's how I read the post. It seemed to me he was wanting a way to improve his mpg.

tubbytommy 20 August 2013 01:59 PM

so you have no idea of the benefits of a fmic, colins wasn't a cheapy production top mount.

induction kits and fmic wont effect mpg at all if using the same turbo and injectors.

your right foot is what effects mpg and if mapped correctly the car will have better mpg than a standard one.

Reshard1977 20 August 2013 02:21 PM

When I swapped to a bigger turbo with fmic (amongst other engine upgrades, injectors, etc.) and remap from Duncan, I got a big jump in power and better MPG than stock.

Gear Head 20 August 2013 02:39 PM

Based on that, I think you should stop there.
Did you really think that the old WRC Imprezas ran a top mount?

:lol:

Fudgey 20 August 2013 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000* (Post 11184384)
I think a fmic would as it compresses more density air thus more fuel would go in the mix too? That's just my thinking, and a cone filter would too as it lets more air through too??

While we are all having fun lol...

do you actually know what 'FMIC' stands for?
and do you know what the turbo actually does?

genuine questions lol

tubbytommy 20 August 2013 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fudgey (Post 11184618)
While we are all having fun lol...

genuine questions lol

he has been reading max power innit:lol1:

cant beat "I think" tuning.

Fudgey 20 August 2013 03:22 PM

that went tits up a good few years back.
shame really as they started off the whole uk tuning/modifying industry.

but dont get me wrong, i dint buy nor read it (ok i may have bought at a guess maybe 2 issues lol) as the content was not exactly to my taste. but in the early years they did have some decent motors in there before it became all chavtastic with saxo's etc

but yeah, this chap has obviously got his wires crossed somewhere!

JohnD 20 August 2013 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fudgey (Post 11184620)

but dont get me wrong, i dint buy nor read it (ok i may have bought at a guess maybe 2 issues lol) as the content was not exactly to my taste. but in the early years they did have some decent motors in there before it became all chavtastic with saxo's etc

"Cars and Car conversions" was the one to buy. A serious tuning mag (before it was considered necessary to include t*ts and b*ms) - probably before you were born! Who remembers that mag?

JohnD

Fudgey 20 August 2013 03:42 PM

i do remember CCC lol, im only 32 tho

tubbytommy 20 August 2013 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by JohnD (Post 11184628)
"Cars and Car conversions" was the one to buy. A serious tuning mag (before it was considered necessary to include t*ts and b*ms) - probably before you were born! Who remembers that mag?

JohnD

I do , im not of that vintage but my dad used to buy it, far more would be learnt from that.

max power was mostly plastic bodkykits and tits.

which would probably explain the above mechanical knowledge:D

Gear Head 20 August 2013 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fudgey (Post 11184620)

I used to read it and I'm not embarressed. More for tits and arse than the cars though.
And I was only 15/16 at the time. :D

LuckyWelshchap 20 August 2013 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 11184642)
I used to read it and I'm not embarressed. More for tits and arse than the cars though.
And I was only 15/16 at the time. :D

'Strewth, they started them young in those days !

stu9 20 August 2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fudgey (Post 11184618)

Yes, yes

I didnt fit it and think part of the reason I was going to put the standard setp up back was the stones ect that can fic's as they're the first thing to get hit

Would a 95 still be able for mapping or is it to old

I thought Mr Mcrae's cars were tic's, I stand corrected, sorry

stu9 20 August 2013 08:09 PM

Marshal....sorry for telling you to shut up earlier :o

marshall332bhp 20 August 2013 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by stu9 (Post 11184872)
Marshal....sorry for telling you to shut up earlier :o

Words can be read a thousand ways. Wasn't trying to be a tool. All is good!

Tidgy 20 August 2013 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by stu9 (Post 11184870)
Yes, yes

I didnt fit it and think part of the reason I was going to put the standard setp up back was the stones ect that can fic's as they're the first thing to get hit

mesh for the win ;)

Fudgey 20 August 2013 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by stu9 (Post 11184870)
Yes, yes

My comment was not aimed at you bud, was about the fmic compressing more air lol

Tbh, ive been around tuned cars for quite a while now and i have not heard of many front mounts being holed by stones etc. yes they bend cooling fins etc, but the actual bar and plate is rather tough, unless you hit something big

I once holed the fmic on my old citoren dispatch... But i had just used a zafira as a brake lol....

As for your question does an induction kit use more fuel... Imo yes. I like the sound so drive the car harder lol :cry: