ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Serious rust (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/982959-serious-rust.html)

dpb 17 August 2013 12:27 PM

Serious rust

Am I correct in thinking serious car rust actually starts from inside to outside. (and therefore little you can do about it)

Maz 17 August 2013 12:33 PM

No it starts from the surface and works it way across and through the metal. It's a reaction which once started keeps itself going.

hodgy0_2 17 August 2013 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Einstein RA (Post 11181369)
No it starts from the surface and works it way across and through the metal. It's a reaction which once started keeps itself going.

Agreed, whereas lighthearted rust does start on the inside and works its way out

Mouser 18 August 2013 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11181368)
Am I correct in thinking serious car rust actually starts from inside to outside. (and therefore little you can do about it)

There is a feature on identifying and tackling rust in the September issue of Car Mechanics which you may find helpful.

Turbohot 18 August 2013 04:12 PM

.............and there's that rust which is neither serious nor light-hearted. You see, you just don't know where you stand with it. It can be that your eyes tell you that there's some rust, but there isn't any. Or, there is some rust, but you can't put a finger on where exactly it is, or is really a rust or something else. If car was a human, you can gather your courage and ask it. As your car a lifeless object, there's no talking to it, I understand.

Duncan, In cases like that, you need to keep your pets away from your cars, and wash your car more often to remove illusive mud marks. Also, a fresh trip to Speccys should also help.

If the problem persists, you should consult your head therapist. :D

BTW, get rid of that old Mondeo. It is a rust bucket.

dpb 18 August 2013 05:34 PM

Piss taker :cry:

Turbohot 18 August 2013 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11182734)
Piss taker :cry:

;) :D

Turbohot 18 August 2013 07:39 PM

You should still get shut of that rusty Mondeo, though. :mad:

PaulC72 18 August 2013 09:20 PM

maybe the rust is holding it together?

dpb 18 August 2013 09:41 PM

Hardly, it's 2004 - but lives 100 yards from the sea

Paint lifting on the wheel arch but main is ding just above windscreen, stone I guess

Just thought at some stage the rust develops from the inner plate of a tack welded joint from condensation, rather than going in from surface rust on the facing plate

cookstar 18 August 2013 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 11182645)
.............and there's that rust which is neither serious nor light-hearted. You see, you just don't know where you stand with it. It can be that your eyes tell you that there's some rust, but there isn't any. Or, there is some rust, but you can't put a finger on where exactly it is, or is really a rust or something else. If car was a human, you can gather your courage and ask it. As your car a lifeless object, there's no talking to it, I understand.

Duncan, In cases like that, you need to keep your pets away from your cars, and wash your car more often to remove illusive mud marks. Also, a fresh trip to Speccys should also help.

If the problem persists, you should consult your head therapist. :D

BTW, get rid of that old Mondeo. It is a rust bucket.

Have you been picking wild mushrooms Hottie? :D

Turbohot 18 August 2013 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 11183156)
Have you been picking wild mushrooms Hottie? :D

Oye! :lol1:

BTW, I did look for your pictures in the Hatters, but as they were Tinypics products, they have sadly gone with the demise of Tinypic business. I did find that video of your fire farting, people annoying scoob in Chester, which I shall PM to you in a couple of days. :D

Edited to say, I've just PM-ed you the link to that video.
Happy days. :D