ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Anyone know how to run Windows 7 "headless" (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/982537-anyone-know-how-to-run-windows-7-headless.html)

EddScott 12 August 2013 04:19 PM

Anyone know how to run Windows 7 "headless"

I have a server to build at home. Is only going to feed films, photos, music and docs so nothing too fancy. 7 should be fine. Don't want to go down the Linux route unless obviously better.

However, the machine will be in a cab and I don't want to have a monitor and KB&M.

How do you set the machine up to be headless? Do I need a Pro version of 7?

Could I not just get the machine going and just take off monitor and stuff? I could use Logmein to access it if needed?

john banks 12 August 2013 04:22 PM

If you have Windows 7 Pro (and there are hacks if not) you can just remote desktop to it.

Graz 12 August 2013 04:37 PM

Thought about Windows Home Server 2011?

Been running mine headless for some time, can either remote desktop into it or use the dashboard (which does most of what you'll ever need).

Psyweb 12 August 2013 05:36 PM

Win 7 will be fine. Enbale Remote Desktop - computer -> Properties -> Romote tab -> tick Allow Connections to this computer and then select your user. Make sure you enable Remote Desktop in the firewall config (via Control Panel). For reference thats port TCP 3389.

You'll probably want to do the intial setup with a keyboard/mouse and monitor.

I run a headless XP Pro server at home and it works like a dream.

EddScott 13 August 2013 05:20 PM

Cheers for the replies guys. At first go I can't seem to work out this remote access lark.

Once I've got remote access running, how do I access the machine from another machine?

john banks 13 August 2013 06:09 PM

You browse to the computer in your network then right click to remote desktop to it.

Psyweb 13 August 2013 06:29 PM

Or on your regular non server pc, start->run->mstsc and type in the name or IP address and click connect.

But you'll need Remote Desktop enabled, the use needs Remote Desktop permissions an the firewall needs to be listening on port tcp3389.

ChrisB 14 August 2013 09:41 AM

My home "server" is a passively cooled Atom mini-ITX box with W7P running headless. RDP works fine for connecting in and poking it when needed.

Luminous 14 August 2013 10:24 PM

Its always nice to have something like Teamviewer or UVNC installed as a backup way to remote connection. Remote Desktop sometimes falls over......

Beef 15 August 2013 08:17 AM

If you've not already got the hardware, I would suggest keeping life simple and using a NAS from someone like Synology

EddScott 15 August 2013 02:02 PM

We use NAS boxes in the offices in work. I've got all the bits just need to get a cabinet server case.

I didn't know all you had to do was right click the PC in network places - just done it in work.