ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Semi-automatic Shotgun (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/982267-semi-automatic-shotgun.html)

LSherratt 09 August 2013 10:57 AM

Semi-automatic Shotgun

For any shooters here, I recently picked up my new semi auto shotgun.

It's a Browning Maxus 5-shot semi-auto (28" barrel and 3" chamber), in synthetic carbon fibre :)

I'm a farmer so as it's a 5-shot, it's on my Firearms Certificate for pest control. It also comes with a magazine plug so I can restrict it down to a standard 3-shot allowing me to use it for clays and anything else.

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/3775/qhqs.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1152/2z5y.jpg

I've put about 300 cartridges through it and it shoots and points really well. Mega lightweight and little recoil too. It also comes with 5 different shims and stock adjustment to get the most perfect fit.

sti-04!! 09 August 2013 11:35 AM

Looks incredible

mart360 09 August 2013 11:43 AM

Looks nice,

I was thinking of a Cynergy for clays,

It looks good in pictures, but in the flesh, the synthetic stock marks very quickley

Mart

warrenm2 09 August 2013 12:09 PM

Always liked the look of one of these...

Matteeboy 09 August 2013 12:18 PM

A relative of mines works for Berettas main distributor; cool job!

thenewgalaxy 09 August 2013 02:03 PM

Very nice indeed LSherratt.

I've got a Beretta 686 in a 20-bore from when I was knee-high but cannot bring myself to part with it.

Have got quite a similar Browning as well, wonderful piece of kit!

donny andi 09 August 2013 05:36 PM

How much did you pay for it bud :thumb:

scoobeenut 09 August 2013 05:51 PM

Been tempted by the lovely new Beretta 692 but I think I will have to let it come down in price before committing lol

mamoon2 09 August 2013 06:21 PM

I want a 5 shot!!

I've got a Benelli 3 shot pump action at the minute

mrmadcap 09 August 2013 06:58 PM

Used to have a Remington 1100, but these guns featured here re something else, particularly the Beretta. What a rate of fire!!

LSherratt 09 August 2013 07:18 PM

I was considering the Winchester SX3 which is the sister company of Browning. Basically the same gun but a few minor differences and the Winchester is cheaper. The only 1 negative thing about the Maxus is that you can't change the magazine tube to a longer one to allow you to shoot more than 5 shots. Pretty pointless anyway because you'll never need to show more than 5 shots out in the field or clays, unless you're exhibition shooting or simply want to show off to some friends.

I went for the Maxus because it seemed to have the best reviews out of all the semi autos and just the brand Browning is such a good maker of guns; plus when I tried one in the gun shop it just felt 'right'. They market it as "the most reliable semi auto in the world." I would take all the marketing such as "fastest loading/shooting auto" etc with a pinch of salt because they are ALL very fast and shoot within less than a second of each other, plus you will never need to shoot 5 or more shots in a split second, unless once again you want to demonstrate to some friends etc.

scoobysteve1983 09 August 2013 07:26 PM

what is a good beginner shotgun? ive just received the forms from the police to apply for a shotgun licence. will be used for pest control at a friends farm. been reading up a bit but not too sure what to go for.

Midlife...... 09 August 2013 07:56 PM

Slightly off topic........back in the early 70's we were quite poor and did our shopping out of an "Empire Stores Catalogue". They had a firearms section and I always wanted the Franchi Hunter Automatic shotgun :)

How times have changed in 40 years, I wonder if they still make them LOL

Sorry, back on topic :)

Shaun

tony de wonderful 09 August 2013 08:33 PM

Are you allowed to fire buckshot?

LSherratt 09 August 2013 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by scoobysteve1983 (Post 11173935)
what is a good beginner shotgun? ive just received the forms from the police to apply for a shotgun licence. will be used for pest control at a friends farm. been reading up a bit but not too sure what to go for.

To be honest, any standard 3-shot semi auto would make a good choice for pest control (any of the ones mentioned in this thread) and they're good for beginners because they have good adjustment, are light weight and have low recoil. If you're mainly going to be doing clays then I would suggest an O/U shotgun because you'll always get at least one person who will stick their nose up at someone using a semi auto. You won't go wrong with a Beretta Silver pigeon or a Browning Cynergy.

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11174006)
Are you allowed to fire buckshot?

Well I've got a box of 00-buckshot for foxes so yes.... :) I think it's the slugshot you need special permission for.

jods 09 August 2013 09:01 PM

That looks bang tidy.

tony de wonderful 09 August 2013 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11174036)
To be honest, any standard 3-shot semi auto would make a good choice for pest control (any of the ones mentioned in this thread) and they're good for beginners because they have good adjustment, are light weight and have low recoil. If you're mainly going to be doing clays then I would suggest an O/U shotgun because you'll always get at least one person who will stick their nose up at someone using a semi auto. You won't go wrong with a Beretta Silver pigeon or a Browning Cynergy.

Well I've got a box of 00-buckshot for home defence so yes.... :) I think it's the slugshot you need special permission for.

Do you live in the UK? You're not even permitted a pillow for purposes of home defence.

LSherratt 09 August 2013 09:14 PM

Yes I live in Gloucestershire. I use buckshot on foxes. :)

GC8 10 August 2013 12:11 AM

If theyre FAC then you can request an (ammo) variation for anything up to rifled slug, I think. The minimum number of ball of a maximum calibre is very much a SCC restriction only.

madscoob 10 August 2013 12:19 AM

for total carnage you need one of these :thumb:

madscoob 10 August 2013 12:39 AM

and just incase you find yourself surounded by deadly rabbits try one of these

LSherratt 10 August 2013 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 11174228)
If theyre FAC then you can request an (ammo) variation for anything up to rifled slug, I think. The minimum number of ball of a maximum calibre is very much a SCC restriction only.

Yeah slugs you need specific permission for, but buckshot you don't. I have a genuine reason for wanting buckshot and that's foxes (although my .223 rifle does a better job at long range).

I'm subscribed to FPSrussia, good videos :) Makes mine look like a toy :lol1:

mrmadcap 10 August 2013 07:39 PM

LSherratt,

Don't suggest 'home defence' or they will take your licence off you, delete the post just in case!

GC8 10 August 2013 07:54 PM

I agree. This could bite you in years to come.

warrenm2 10 August 2013 10:55 PM

Dont tell them your name Pike!

LSherratt 10 August 2013 10:59 PM

I didn't think of that, anyway, what is this country coming to :lol1:

chopperman 10 August 2013 11:08 PM

I like shooting. This is me with a pump action.

mart360 11 August 2013 12:09 AM

Went and tried some Shotguns today ,

did some Trap, Skeet, Olympic trap, & Sporting,

Liked the olympic trap, despite near on missing everything lol

Goint to try some Down the Line next time

Mart

LSherratt 11 August 2013 08:06 AM

I haven't done 'proper clay shooting' as such. I've just got a cheapy clay trap that I put at the bottom of the field, buy my own clays, get some mates over and then just fire away... Maybe with one or two drinks too :Whatever_

Turbohot 11 August 2013 02:59 PM

A farmer in our local shot himself, and then pretended that burglars did that to him. He eventually got found out and got done for it. Another went mad and shot his cattle, but still at large. My father in-law shot his own dog because the dog bit his daughter. He must have shot some rabbits as well, but we don't know, as he left no rabbit fur jacket for anyone in his will.

I don't appreciate killing any living thing with a gun of any kind, or even with a shoe. However, I absolutely love aiming games with it e.g. clay pigeon shooting and target shooting. We have a good place near the horse shoe pass for things like that. There's a shooting range near Chester as well where my son dear goes to blast some clay crockery with his whatever gun.