ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Central heating & hot water (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/982138-central-heating-and-hot-water.html)

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 09:16 PM

Central heating & hot water

Ok, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

The central heating in my house has been off for some time with the weather, and I have a power shower, so no need to heat the water either.

So the other day, I decided on a soak in the bath, put the hot water on, and lo and behold, all the upstairs radiators came on full blast! It was like a furnace!

Any ideas before I ring a central heating engineer? (Need a plumber anyway as one of the downstairs radiators leaks when it's on)

Better still, any central heating engineers on here in the east mids want to come take a look? Lol

scoobynutta555 07 August 2013 09:18 PM

My ch used to come on with only the hot water selected on the control panel. A motorised valve was faulty. More than likely something similar has happened to you, the valve has stopped in an open position or something.

dpb 07 August 2013 09:25 PM

Do you own an adjustable?

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555 (Post 11172013)
My ch used to come on with only the hot water selected on the control panel. A motorised valve was faulty. More than likely something similar has happened to you, the valve has stopped in an open position or something.

Hmmm... Ok. Might be worth a look, but I really don't have a Scooby (pun intended) about central heating! Lol.

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11172027)
Do you own an adjustable?

I own at least half a dozen! Lol

scoobynutta555 07 August 2013 09:31 PM

Neither do I google your symptoms. I have a British Gas service contract and they fixed it. I told them what I thought it was after googling, they confirmed and changed the part, all is fine now :)

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555 (Post 11172039)
Neither do I google your symptoms. I have a British Gas service contract and they fixed it. I told them what I thought it was after googling, they confirmed and changed the part, all is fine now :)

Nice one, thanks. I'll have a look.

I do have a plumber who's good, it's just getting hold of him! Lol

Busterbulldog 07 August 2013 09:37 PM

A clue as to your system type would help loads...eg..combi...back boiler ..unvented etc

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog (Post 11172055)
A clue as to your system type would help loads...eg..combi...back boiler ..unvented etc

It's a standard boiler and immersion tank setup with a water tank in the loft. That's about as much as I can tell you really...

I can strip and rebuild a car, computer, or electronics, but heating? Nope, not a clue. Lol

scoobynutta555 07 August 2013 09:53 PM

Same set up as me. I'm crap with cars though but run multi million pound machinery at work :)

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555 (Post 11172075)
Same set up as me. I'm crap with cars though but run multi million pound machinery at work :)

Lol. Well I work in IT (server side) for an engineering firm, and have rebuilt cars and engines for years. I can take off/replace a radiator ok, and drain and bleed a system, and i'm happy doing "cold" plumbing but when it comes to the gas/boiler/pump side of things, it's a big no for me! Lol.

Busterbulldog 07 August 2013 10:04 PM

post a pic of your airing cupboard pipework

Chip 07 August 2013 10:10 PM

Motorised valve by sound of it

scoobeenut 07 August 2013 10:12 PM

Motorized valve stuck in mid position, hit it with a hammer to free it up then order a new part before winter comes.

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 10:14 PM

7 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog (Post 11172100)
post a pic of your airing cupboard pipework

Just above the immersion (that's right isn't it?) is an open water tank, and another covered one in the loft.

There's three pipes from the boiler, a heating "isolator" and the last unmarked switch is apparently the immersion switch.

Busterbulldog 07 August 2013 10:18 PM

You have a 3 way valve,turn on heating and water seperately and note wether the marker on the valve moves to the selected points,it has 3 positions,hot water,heating and both.

AndyC_772 07 August 2013 10:19 PM

As above, your motorised valve has seized. It happens a lot.

You might be able to take the motor off and free up the valve itself by turning it with pliers. Once it's unstuck it might be perfectly OK again, provided the motor hasn't burned out.

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog (Post 11172126)
You have a 3 way valve,turn on heating and water seperately and note wether the marker on the valve moves to the selected points,it has 3 positions,hot water,heating and both.

That's the "white box" on the pipe yeah? The one with the black switch in the middle?

It's also got a black switch on the side too...

So if it stays in the middle that's both, water is one side and heating t'other...

If it doesn't move, it's a new part job, or a gentle tap yeah?

Thanks for this BTW!! :thumb:

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 11172129)
As above, your motorised valve has seized. It happens a lot.

You might be able to take the motor off and free up the valve itself by turning it with pliers. Once it's unstuck it might be perfectly OK again, provided the motor hasn't burned out.

Ok, thanks bud. I'll take a look and see if it can be opened.

:)

Busterbulldog 07 August 2013 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Frenchwood (Post 11172132)
That's the "white box" on the pipe yeah? The one with the black switch in the middle?

It's also got a black switch on the side too...

So if it stays in the middle that's both, water is one side and heating t'other...

If it doesn't move, it's a new part job, or a gentle tap yeah?

Thanks for this BTW!! :thumb:

Yes the other black slider is a manual opener..if the valve doesnt move when heat is called for try releasing it with the manual opener....its odd if you havent used the heating for a while that its stuck in mid position,it defaults to hot water,inside theres a motor called a synchron...its an easy diy mend,but do the tests 1st.

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 10:30 PM

Assuming this actuator is at fault, How difficult are these to change? (On a Haynes Spanner scale) lol.

Is it a DIY job? Empty the system, change the part, refill with inhibitor and bleed?

Or should I just call an engineer? If so, how much are we talking?

Ta!!

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog (Post 11172140)

Yes the other black slider is a manual opener..if the valve doesnt move when heat is called for try releasing it with the manual opener....its odd if you havent used the heating for a while that its stuck in mid position,it defaults to hot water,inside theres a motor called a synchron...its an easy diy mend,but do the tests 1st.

Ok, that's cool. I've got the water on and given it a good rap with my knuckles. It went "clunk" inside... And the radiators don't seem to be getting warm.

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 10:36 PM

Radiators are definitely staying cool.

I'm happy with that! :luxhello:

Next job is to freeze the pipes before a valve on a radiator, and replace the leaky valve!

Not looking forward to that as I've just laid a new carpet in that room! Pfft.

I'll check on the actuator again tomorrow and see if its still playing ball!

Thanks for the help folks, much appreciated! :thumb:

Busterbulldog 07 August 2013 10:37 PM

happy days..put some fernox in your heating tank

Busterbulldog 07 August 2013 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Frenchwood (Post 11172159)
Radiators are definitely staying cool.

I'm happy with that! :luxhello:

Next job is to freeze the pipes before a valve on a radiator, and replace the leaky valve!

I'll check on the actuator again tomorrow and see if its still playing ball!

Thanks for the help folks, much appreciated! :thumb:

post a pic of leaky valve there maybe a quick fix

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 10:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog (Post 11172160)
happy days..put some fernox in your heating tank

Fernox? Whassat? Lol.

It's leaking from the bottom of the compression joint on the valve I've tightened it to a surreal level, and when the valve is on it still drips, turn it off, and it stops!

Does it on both sides, I put it down to the fact the radiator isn't mounted properly.

Busterbulldog 07 August 2013 10:50 PM

The clue is in the it doesnt leak when turned off....your leak is under the white cap...remove it...tighten the packing gland underneath...hey presto leak gone

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog (Post 11172174)
The clue is in the it doesnt leak when turned off....your leak is under the white cap...remove it...tighten the packing gland underneath...hey presto leak gone

Ok, I'll give that a go. Both sides?

It seemed to slow when I tightened the compression joints, the stopped as I turned them off, I just assumed it was the joint... Lol.

See, better eyes see more clearly!

I'd take you for a pint if you were close! Maybe you should send me your PayPal addy in PM pal, I'll send you a tenner to buy you some beer for your help!! Lol ;) :thumb:

Busterbulldog 07 August 2013 10:58 PM

the packing glands tend to trickle un noticed...one thing plumbings taught me is keep going upwards until your sure its dry

Frenchwood 07 August 2013 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog (Post 11172190)
the packing glands tend to trickle un noticed...one thing plumbings taught me is keep going upwards until your sure its dry

Okey doke, I'll check it in the morning.

Thanks again matey, I really do owe you some beers!! Lol :thumb:

Graz 08 August 2013 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Frenchwood (Post 11172159)

Sound like you're sorted anyway. I wouldn't recommend pipe freezing for the DIY plumber, it only gives you a limited amount of time to sort what ever needs sorting. Far easier to just drain the system down and then you can take as long as you need, which will inevitably be longer than you think as something won't go to plan :)