ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Stuck in Cornwall (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/981511-stuck-in-cornwall.html)

Bugeyeruss 31 July 2013 07:38 AM

Stuck in Cornwall

Morning guys and girls, been having issues with the scoob since arriving in Hayle Monday. The car keeps cutting out with no warning and also struggles to start, had the AA out and they think it's the fuel pump, he couldnt find a garage that would even look at her let alone fix. Does anyone know of a place or is local to here? I've got till saturday to sort otherwise its going to be a long expensive tow back to London.
CHeers :(

The Trooper 1815 31 July 2013 07:56 AM

If its a Classic have a look under the rear seat on the drivers side. There is a plug that carries all the electrics to the pump, mine was faulty and drove me mad for weeks.

The Trooper 1815 31 July 2013 07:58 AM

I think Newage are the same.

Bugeyeruss 31 July 2013 08:03 AM

Cheers mate I'll have a little look later, can only think its the fuel pump as I get the strong smell of fuel just after she dies, also there is no pressure release when you remove the fuel cap

gpssti4 31 July 2013 08:03 AM

You can try ScoobyBits - not too many miles from you.

http://www.scoobybits.co.uk/home.htm

gpssti4 31 July 2013 08:07 AM

I guess I should ask how far your car typically drives before cutting out.

Bugeyeruss 31 July 2013 08:18 AM

Cheers mate, depends that's the thing, I went to out yesterday in it and it was fine, came back then had to nip to get some food and it took a while to start then conked out a min later and had to pushed back to the car park.

JGlanzaV 31 July 2013 08:21 AM

Scooby bits or if it needs to be towed engine tuner are in plymouth. Where are you headed? I know a few people who might have a spare classic pump if they are the same? I don't think my twin 044 external pumps are much use to you :L

The Trooper 1815 31 July 2013 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bugeyeruss (Post 11164789)
Cheers mate, depends that's the thing, I went to out yesterday in it and it was fine, came back then had to nip to get some food and it took a while to start then conked out a min later and had to pushed back to the car park.

Sounds like mine did.

Bugeyeruss 31 July 2013 08:28 AM

Was hoping for a local place am, there is a dealers about 10 miles away so might try that, the car was mapped at Slowboy racing in Kent so would have to go back to him I think, not sure on the fuel pump but it's not uprateted so should be easy to source, I'm 99% sure it's that just by the lack of pressure when you release the fuel cap

Bugeyeruss 31 July 2013 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11164795)
Sounds like mine did.

Was yours the fuel pump mate?

mervil 31 July 2013 08:32 AM

Do you have onward journey cover with the AA? If so they should be able to recover you to a garage of your choice... choose Engine Tuner :)

Bugeyeruss 31 July 2013 08:35 AM

Only got roadside with the AA and 10 mile return home with Greenflag, it's been a great holiday so far! Lol, car was good as gold coming down here, munched the miles up but as soon as we arrived it started getting PMT, got a feeling no matter how many flowers or chocolates I buy will solve this cheaply

tjmatt 31 July 2013 09:06 AM

If you really can smell fuel before it dies, that suggests fuel pump IS working and you're not getting a spark and hence unburnt fuel is leaving the exhaust.

The other possibility is that far too much fuel is going in, and basically is far too rich to run smoothly and slowly conks out whilst stinking of unburnt fuel.

Bugeyeruss 31 July 2013 09:58 AM

Hummm yeah could be, it had the map tweaked a few weeks back and has been running fine till Monday, just a bit iffy that even with the fuel level really low and it's been run from full to empty there was hardly any pressure when I released the filler cap, car feels like it's being starved of either oxygen or fuel just before it dies

The Trooper 1815 31 July 2013 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11164795)
Sounds like mine did.

Mine was the plug under the seat.