ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Cambelt change, Upgrade Oil Pump? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/979960-cambelt-change-upgrade-oil-pump.html)

Sub-Subaru 11 July 2013 11:49 PM

Cambelt change, Upgrade Oil Pump?

I am about to get the cambelt changed on my 2004 WRX. I was going to do it myself but probably going to get a subaru dealer to do it now.

I plan to upgrade the exhaust and remap the car at some point soon. Do I need to be be thinking about anything else while doing the cambelt e.g. oil pump and is this a necessary upgrade for a fairly simple remap?

thanks

p.s. subaru dealers seem to vary on their prices for the job. What sort of price would you expect to pay just for labour on a cambelt change?

fingerscooby 12 July 2013 12:24 AM

I paid about £500 for my recent cam belt change, I also had the tensioners done which is recommended. Sometimes its good to change the water pump too but mine was fine, you can normally tell by looking at it, if it needs changing or not. Oil pump????

I would consider changing your plugs and get a decent panel filter and possibly upgrade your fuel pump to a walbro 255.

AS Performance 12 July 2013 08:28 AM

no requirement for water/oil pump at all..............

scotty boy 80 12 July 2013 08:48 AM

Importcarparts for the timing belt kit

Mr Carr 12 July 2013 01:22 PM

Oil pump seals are woth replacing when having cam done .just had mine done

Mr Carr 12 July 2013 06:58 PM

I also had the aircon belt and tensioner done whilst they were already off so you dont pay any labour on having them fitted .. in total I had cambelt, tensioners, gearboxs oil , front and rear diff oil , engine oil , sparks , fuel filter , aircon stuff and oil seals on the pump, cost me just over £900 .

Sub-Subaru 17 July 2013 10:01 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was just concerned that the oil pump would need upgrading for some reason.

I bought the cambelt, tensioners and water pump from importcarparts last year and haven't got round to fitting it yet.

The labour for the cambelt is 2 hours roughly, my local subaru garage charges £88 an hour plus vat I think, so it ends up around £212 for the cambelt before the cost of parts.

Apparently they want another hour and fifteen minutes to do the waterpump!

Mr Carr 17 July 2013 10:20 PM

Do they think it needs replacing ? Mines a 2005 wrx 2.0 and has got 80, 000 on the clock . I took my car to chevron motor sports and they said it didnt need changing and I trust them completely because they really do know there stuff ! Only thing they said was oil pump seals are worth having done at the same time about another £100 fitted ... I think its worth having them done mate not worth the risk

Mr Carr 17 July 2013 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Carr (Post 11152416)
Do they think it needs replacing ? Mines a 2005 wrx 2.0 and has got 80, 000 on the clock . I took my car to chevron motor sports and they said it didnt need changing and I trust them completely because they really do know there stuff ! Only thing they said was oil pump seals are worth having done at the same time about another £100 fitted ... I think its worth having them done mate not worth the risk

My wrx is a ppp 260 bhp and oil pump wasn't upgraded for that if thats any help :)

fingerscooby 18 July 2013 08:20 AM

I wouldn't bother with the oil pump unless it's obviously broken, and I wouldn't even change the water pump, I didn't replace mine as they said it looked fine.