ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Struggle to start! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/979887-struggle-to-start.html)

Rutt_Dj 11 July 2013 09:44 AM

Struggle to start!

My car has been sat for a few days, i went to move it yesterday and it struggled to start up! Cud it just be the starter motor?

JohnD 11 July 2013 11:31 AM

More info needed here. You need to describe the symptoms. It could be a number of things.

JohnD

Rutt_Dj 11 July 2013 12:29 PM

Well im not sure, it always seems to do it wen i havent started it for a few day! Like it splutters on a bit as its trying to crank over!

kevo10 11 July 2013 02:29 PM

Trying to crank over? does that mean its slow turning over cos if you do then it sounds like a battery problem going on the info given

JohnD 11 July 2013 08:33 PM

I'm assuming it's a blobeye STi? Mine has had the same problem for years! Splutters but eventually will start and be fine after that. I initially thought it might have been a leaking injector while there was still pressure in the system after switching off causing plug fouling on next start-up but it still did it after an injector change. The problem would come and go, weeks with a problem then ok for weeks!
Try this - after switching off, wedge open the throttle until the next start.(stick from the seat to the pedal works!) Don't forget to remove the stick before starting! I know this sounds bizzare but ever since doing this the car starts cleanly first time. I assume the venting of the inlet manifold/heads is the key.
Of course, this may not be your problem but spluttering on start-up is not unknown on these models.

JohnD

Rutt_Dj 13 July 2013 09:57 PM

Thanks for the advice, when i got my car remapped duncan did mention that the voltage was slightly low!

The car is a 2003 wrx!

It only does it after i havent used it for a few days! Also i dunno if it was just moisture or what, but when i started the car the other day i realised it had spat liquid of sum sort on the drive, that isnt there now so it couldt of been oil

360ste 13 July 2013 10:14 PM

What electrical accessories have been fitted (gauges, ice, etc) If the battery is the original then it will not be at 100% capacity as the chemical reaction will become less efficient over time. My bugeye battery was dying and would only last a couple of days before becoming a non or poor starter. Until last week all I did was leave it on a battery maintainer whilst in the garage otherwise the alarm would go off if the voltage dropped too much. The charger/maintainer held the voltage at 13.3 to 13.5 volts so no problem for the electrics. Got new battery now.

XDevil666 13 July 2013 11:48 PM

Battery slightly low and condensation it spat out

Steve's Sti 14 July 2013 12:54 AM

mines does the same i leave it hooked up when not in use to my CTEK charger it helps, but it struggles to start after 3-4 days without the constant charge