ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   over-heating...!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/979605-over-heating.html)

mickeymouse 07 July 2013 09:56 PM

over-heating...!!

hi

my scoob is seriously over-heating:( ive only noticed it since the hot weather and the last service...

its fine for around an hour or so..but then the temp rises right to the max...but it does come down VERY briefly..obviously only to rise again..

it is NOT losing water..yes the fluids are at correct level.. NO creamie mixture in the oil.. it has NO loss of power..mpg has NOT changed..and it starts first time every time..heaters work fine..

car..MY07 hawkeye 2.5 (yes yes...I know!!) sportscat back exhaust and remapped to around 340

I understand that most of you are going to say "head-gasket" but its NOT showing the traditional symptons of HG failure.

I suspected an airlock but done the usual to get rid of that.

its almost as if it has a circulation problem?? but cant think what it could be??

thoughts...??

thenewgalaxy 07 July 2013 10:10 PM

Sorry mate but it's a head gasket failure. You don't get classical symptoms because of the nature of the failure.

Get in touch with Finch, API or Alan Jeffery...

tubbytommy 07 July 2013 10:12 PM

Another 2.5 hg failure....

blackhawksti 08 July 2013 07:50 AM

Get it sniff tested, then you'll be 100% sure on whether its a HG failure or not! good luck!

scoobyricht 08 July 2013 08:36 AM

How did you get rid of the suspected air lock? did you remove and test the thermostat?

alcazar 08 July 2013 09:17 AM

I am also intrigued as to what "the usual" is to get rid of an airlock?

6VOLT 08 July 2013 10:32 AM

Is the engine bay physically hotter, ie cooking away , or at what you would expect to be a reasonable level of heat? If so it could be a faulty temperature sensor

APIDavid 08 July 2013 11:04 AM

There is no ' typical ' on a UK 2.5 STI - Hawk, Hatch or even later for head gasket failure. They display different symptoms to what is normally expected.

It will be a head gasket failure, I have no doubt.

AND it needs fixing soon. Call for a sensible chat and some options.

I am always intrigued to the theory as to how a pressurised water system that is functioning normally can suddenly get an ' air lock ' Somehow you will have to have removed or lost water to create the space for the ' air lock ' to occur.

So someone enlighten me please.

David APi 01926 614522

alcazar 08 July 2013 11:14 AM

I hear what you are saying, David.

Often, folk post about overheating but fail to tell us that they have recently holed the rad, changed the rad, had a new thermostat, holed the top-hose etc etc etc.

Then, they refill without checking how, and Robert's your mother's brother.

speedking 09 July 2013 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by blackhawksti (Post 11143188)
Get it sniff tested, then you'll be 100% sure on whether its a HG failure or not! good luck!

I wasn't. Nothing detected unless on boost.