ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Any handbrake experts? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/979454-any-handbrake-experts.html)

tony de wonderful 05 July 2013 03:49 PM

Any handbrake experts?

I'm trying to rip some of my personal blue ray home videos ;) and I am down to about 5 fps using a reduced resolution of 1280 x 720 and an RF or 20. It's gonna take me almost 48 hours to rip about 9 hours worth which is one part of my personal blue ray collection of home movies (which I burned myself).

I'm worried this is gonna kill my Macbook too. What can I do? I had no idea it was this intensive?

hill79 05 July 2013 04:02 PM

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I've used Handbrake a number of times - it does generally take ages to process HD stuff, but if you think of the amount of data you're processing (1920×1080 images resized to whatever resolution you set, plus 6 channels of high quality audio re-encoded...) then 5FPS actually seems pretty good! ;) I've not found a way of speeding it up yet, without substantially compromising on quality (or getting a faster machine!)

Markus 05 July 2013 04:54 PM

I'm guessing you have an external Blu-ray drive on the Macbook and you're ripping direct from the disk via Mac OS X?

If so then it could be the speed of the read from the drive that might be contributing to the slowness of things.

You could try actually ripping the Blu-Ray to an ISO file, and then try the encoding from that iOS, which would be on the local machine. obviously that's a two tier process, as opposed to the single tier of doing the encode direct from the disk.

tony de wonderful 05 July 2013 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Markus (Post 11141306)
I'm guessing you have an external Blu-ray drive on the Macbook and you're ripping direct from the disk via Mac OS X?

If so then it could be the speed of the read from the drive that might be contributing to the slowness of things.

You could try actually ripping the Blu-Ray to an ISO file, and then try the encoding from that iOS, which would be on the local machine. obviously that's a two tier process, as opposed to the single tier of doing the encode direct from the disk.

I use MakeMKV first to make a .mkv file then rip that to .m4v.

It's a lot of hassle.:lol1:

jura11 06 July 2013 10:53 PM

Best to have PC which you can overclock,just due Handbrake is very CPU/GPU extensive
With newer COU in Macbook you should be able to have reasonable times,but with overclocked CPU you should be able have much better results

SSD will not help with better/faster rendering(encoding),its down to CPU or GPU nothing more

Jura

JDM_333 06 July 2013 10:55 PM

Hey Jura

How is the wagon running these days have you run in the new engine yet? any ideas when you will be back up to Santa Pod? I was up there today but it was very very quiet I was surprised with it being such a nice day weather wise! I did not see a single Scooby there and only one Evo.

jura11 06 July 2013 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_333 (Post 11142280)
Hey Jura

How is the wagon running these days have you run in the new engine yet? any ideas when you will be back up to Santa Pod? I was up there today but it was very very quiet I was surprised with it being such a nice day weather wise! I did not see a single Scooby there and only one Evo.

Hi there

We been there,we come there around 5pm(we stuck at traffic)..On way back again we stuck at traffic and we come home at 7:30pm

Engine is after mapping(400bhp at 0.7bar,1.55bar 481bhp),but think exhaust is biggest restriction,we will be replacing the exhaust in coming weeks and then again mapping,we will see

Hopefully next month we will be back on the Santa pod,wish we are come sooner,we will try at least setup and LC.

Jura

tony de wonderful 07 July 2013 12:01 AM

The MacBook has been at full throttle now for 36 hours lol.

JackClark 07 July 2013 01:54 AM

This place is full of pirates, they could have emailed you the movie by now.

tony de wonderful 07 July 2013 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11142338)
This place is full of pirates, they could have emailed you the movie by now.

Are you are pirate Jack?

JackClark 07 July 2013 11:51 AM

No.

larsb 17 July 2013 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11141316)
I use MakeMKV first to make a .mkv file then rip that to .m4v.

Why not watch the .mkv?

Originally Posted by jura11
Best to have PC which you can overclock,just due Handbrake is very CPU/GPU extensive

It is CPU intensive, yes, but I wouldn't suggest OC'ing, it can negatively impact the encode, bad frames, glitches, etc. Better to wait the the extra half an hour it buys than doing the whole process over again.

Lastly, I would recommend MeGUI and x264 encoding over handbrake.