ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Android. Huge security hole, batten down the hatches (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/979353-android-huge-security-hole-batten-down-the-hatches.html)

JackClark 04 July 2013 12:48 PM

Android. Huge security hole, batten down the hatches

http://bluebox.com/corporate-blog/bl...id-master-key/

Good luck getting an update for this.

hpoolsteve 04 July 2013 01:23 PM

400 million devices, Thats one big whoops.

dpb 04 July 2013 01:26 PM

I'll have to read this carefully when iv got less time :thumb:

Galifrey 04 July 2013 01:54 PM

Samsung have already been issuing updates to fix this and the S4 was launched with the vulnerability removed.

Welcome to February Jack

:D

jonc 04 July 2013 02:37 PM

Who said Android wasn't more popular and had a smaller market share? That's 900 million Andoid devices devices, nearly twice as many as iOS devices.

Funkii Munkii 04 July 2013 03:58 PM

You just know who the author of the thread is when you read the title :)

I think the Android vs Apple fanboy wars came about because there has been no Microsoft/Sony hardware released for so many years, so once the One and PS4 arrive maybe things will cool down on the phone front and they can all start getting moist about their new consols.

Both pieces of tech are about personal choice, normal people dont get misguided by posts like these and immediately think Oh I must change my phone, they just mock the attention seekers that are fanboys.

Graz 04 July 2013 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Galifrey (Post 11140167)
Samsung have already been issuing updates to fix this and the S4 was launched with the vulnerability removed.

Welcome to February Jack

:D

Cool as I've just got an S4. I'm invincible :D

Anyway nobody has exploited this vulnerability yet so I don't need to cancel all my credit cards etc. and start wearing a tin foil hat :lol1:

neil-h 04 July 2013 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11140201)
Who said Android wasn't more popular and had a smaller market share? That's 900 million Andoid devices devices, nearly twice as many as iOS devices.

**** the bed an open source OS has more users than one thats only used on half a dozen different devices at best. Surely not :eek:

Galifrey 04 July 2013 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Graz (Post 11140281)
Cool as I've just got an S4. I'm invincible :D

Anyway nobody has exploited this vulnerability yet so I don't need to cancel all my credit cards etc. and start wearing a tin foil hat :lol1:

Indeed, it was spotted before it was exploited, companies are already issuing fixes.

Ant 04 July 2013 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11140384)
**** the bed an open source OS has more users than one thats only used on half a dozen different devices at best. Surely not :eek:

crazy isnt it :lol1:

jonc 04 July 2013 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11140384)

'Fraid so, if only Apple would release a dozen more of the same devices.

You can change your bed sheets now.

jameswrx 05 July 2013 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11140201)

I really don't understand this point, a moot one surely.

I've seen this mentioned before like some sort of bragging right for android, just seems an odd thing to say and I don't understand why people think it means something. If anything it serves to flatter apple.

jonc 05 July 2013 08:20 AM

Okay, for the hard of understanding, it was a tongue in cheek comment, was not a serious post!...JackClark on Android, this thread was only ever going to go one way, a trolling bitch-fest.

JackClark 05 July 2013 10:47 AM

Please don't believe the issue has been fixed. It hasn't. Just trying to be informative here.

MDS_WRX 05 July 2013 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11141001)
Please don't believe the issue has been fixed. It hasn't. Just trying to be informative here.

The issue is a lot less severe than at first glance though.

The Google Play Store has stopped any apps downloaded from there having the problem so it's only those people/devices that choose to download and install applications from external, unofficial sources that could have the problem.

That in itself is surely common sense and applies to all OS's. If you download from unofficial sources then you run the risk of malware/spyware/viruses.

JackClark 05 July 2013 11:53 AM

What it really highlights to me is the issues owners of Android phones over six months or so old have, they get no love from the Manufacturers, no updates, no security. When one of these cheap devices are made no thought is given to the future, no budget, no development. And that's the big boys like Samsung and HTC, can you imagine how much budget is given by the other manufacturers.... zero no doubt, lets get it out the door and trap a few suckers. Security is not free.

MDS_WRX 05 July 2013 12:01 PM

You're right in that manufacturers should be quicker to respond to security flaws, from what I can see only Samsung have responded with any form of update although it is possible that the others have but haven't made a public statement about it.

At least Google protected the Play Store once it was identified though so the risk was only on people downloading from unofficial sources. I'd hope that the people that do that at least understand the risks and are more stringent on what they consider installing. If not then it's their own risk and fault.

Markus 05 July 2013 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11140891)
JackClark on Android, this thread was only ever going to go one way, a trolling bitch-fest.

Just the same as Andy something-or-other posting anti apple threads.

This is not aimed at being some kind of defence

jonc 05 July 2013 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11141059)
What it really highlights to me is the issues owners of Android phones over six months or so old have, they get no love from the Manufacturers, no updates, no security. When one of these cheap devices are made no thought is given to the future, no budget, no development. And that's the big boys like Samsung and HTC, can you imagine how much budget is given by the other manufacturers.... zero no doubt, lets get it out the door and trap a few suckers. Security is not free.

Apple's iOS has 387 documented vulnerabilites, Android has 13. Go have a look as Symantec's Internet Security Report for 2013. So much for Apple's big budget and development.

jonc 05 July 2013 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Markus (Post 11141076)
Just the same as Andy something-or-other posting anti apple threads.

This is not aimed at being some kind of defence

Exactly, these kinds of "vs" threads are purely for trolling and bitching, it's great! Bar the entertainment value, you might be able to pick out some bits of useful info too.

tony de wonderful 05 July 2013 12:27 PM

Jack, do you work for Apple?

JackClark 05 July 2013 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11141096)
Jack, do you work for Apple?

I work for you Tony, defending the truth and saving suckers.

Graz 05 July 2013 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11141059)

Not really I had a Galaxy S2 up until a few days ago when the S4 arrived to replace it. I had an upgrade from Gingerbread to ICS and then another to JellyBean. Not bad over the two years of ownership to have two such major upgrades as well as a few minor ones. As these phones only tend to have a two year lifespan anyway i.e. you want to upgrade to the latest and greatest once out of contract then who gives a fcuk after that :D

JackClark 05 July 2013 03:14 PM

Maybe it's just HTC?

http://mindofthegeek.com/2013/07/03/...pdate-android/

JackClark 05 July 2013 03:17 PM

Nothing to see here...

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2.../ios.png?w=704

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2...roid.png?w=704

jonc 05 July 2013 04:56 PM

We already knew Apple's flock of fanboi's obediantly follows thy shepherd, you're bleating the obvious, so yes, nothing to see.

Galifrey 05 July 2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by MDS_WRX (Post 11141040)

That in itself is surely common sense and applies to all OS's. If you download from unofficial sources then you run the risk of malware/spyware/viruses.

Indeed, nobody has exloited the loophole, it has been found and legitimate software sources are protected, so the only real danger is to people who use pirate software.

I would say they are fair game to be honest :)

neil-h 09 July 2013 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11141311)
We already knew Apple's flock of fanboi's obediantly follows thy shepherd, you're bleating the obvious, so yes, nothing to see.

Only in an argument with Android users could keeping your OS up to date be seen as a bad thing :lol1:

jonc 09 July 2013 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11144405)
Only in an argument with Android users could keeping your OS up to date be seen as a bad thing :lol1:

:lol1: To be honest updates aren't always a good thing, I wish I never updated my iPhone4 to iOS 6.x and I stayed with 5.1.1, I had far less trouble with that version. Now on 6.1.2 and still get frequent crashes with a number of apps and is overall a little slower and is more battery hungry.