ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Ive been under a rock! No more Prodrive parts, no more Impreza in UK...WTH!?! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/978483-ive-been-under-a-rock-no-more-prodrive-parts-no-more-impreza-in-uk-wth.html)

scoober101 24 June 2013 08:41 PM

Ive been under a rock! No more Prodrive parts, no more Impreza in UK...WTH!?!

I admit, I have been under a massive rock in the past year or so with Scoobies. A combination of moving house, changing job and doing the whole 'more responsibility' thing. I was 'just driving' the car every day and hadnt tinkered with it for so long, all it ever got was a regular service. I was determined to change that this year and get back into the Scoobiness.

So, I begin catching up on possible mods and getting on the forum etc only to discover that Prodrive no longer make parts for road cars and the Impreza is no longer going to be available in the UK. WTH is going on!

Im sure there has been countless threads about these topics but I feel embarrassed I didnt know this and have to ask.

* Why have Prodrive pulled out?
* What is going to replace the Scooby in the UK? I saw the BRZ but its not even turbocharged!
* Are Scoobies going to become an expensive import choice from US/JP from now on?

I have so many questions and Im genuinely shocked by all this. All I can say is what a great shame. :cry:

Beastie 24 June 2013 11:06 PM

Well these are good questions.

First forget prodrive the new kid in town is Pro-R. http://pro-r.co.uk :thumb:

Regarding imprezas, import has stopped since 2011 MY WRX STi but there are a few still around unsold in the dealers for good prices. I know i just bought one and then put the 340R pack on it.

The new WRX STi will have a new engine, the FA 2.0 and is currently testing at the Nurburgring. However, it doesnt look like the concept that was shown at the New York Motor Show. It looks more like a 2011 MY WRX STi. This engine is in the new Forester and develops 240BHP in that form, it is a direct injected unit.

I would speculate that once the new model is signed off and the engine tuned to suit, the new model will be introduced to the UK. As it has now got competition from the CLA 45 AMG and the new RS3 the engine will need to have in excess of 300 BHP.

Beastie 24 June 2013 11:06 PM

Testing of car at Nurburgring

thenewgalaxy 24 June 2013 11:45 PM

The chassis is fantastic on the new Subarus and they are quick as ever but something like a Golf R can give you one hell of a fright nevermind those RS3s and A Class AMG jobbies - they absolutely fly.

305bhp was enough in 2004 to blow away the competition but I think we need 380+ to stay comfortably ahead these days, not even factoring in the scarily good mpg these things are claimed to have (and the lower road tax too).

It's just a pity that Subaru being greedy and an unfavourable exchange rate will rule them out of coming to these shores.

alcazar 25 June 2013 09:20 AM

Subaru and IM have always been greedy.

Make no mistake, that's what's killed the Impreza here...that and the vile hatch. :rolleyes:

Back in the days when they could only import a few at a time, they were asking £22,000 for a UK Impreza, with an extra £1200 for aircon, £250 for metallic paint, etc.

Meanwhile the Japs got a hotter, FAR better specced car for £17,000.

On asking why, we were told it cost that much to get them here.

But it then transpired that a UK made Honda civic Type R was £18,000 here, BUILT here, and it somehow got hotter, better specced and LOST £4,000 being exported to Japan, etc.

Thieves...they have killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

No wonder the Japs refer to the UK as "Treasure Island"..they can charge what they like, and WE bend over and take it, while our government does nowt but collects the extra VAT:mad:

urban 25 June 2013 09:35 AM

I don't think you can solely point the finger at IM.

Your point about greed is just one element.
You should also consider the poor exchange rate and the high taxes the government introduced, together with the relatively high running costs.

urban 25 June 2013 11:08 AM

Also - the OP.

Prodrive and Subaru parted company in 2008/2009 - where on earth have you been?

alcazar 25 June 2013 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11131204)
I don't think you can solely point the finger at IM.

Your point about greed is just one element.
You should also consider the poor exchange rate and the high taxes the government introduced, together with the relatively high running costs.

At the time I bought mine, neither the exchange rate, nor the high running costs was a problem.

The amount of Jap cars that could be imported was very tightly controlled, which led to the cars fetching full price, but the price differential between what WE got and what the JAPS got, and what each country paid, was down to FHI and IM, mainly.

Subsequent increases in taxation haven't helped, especially the usual poorly crafted legislation against 4x4 vehicles...cheers again Lying Labour!

thenewgalaxy 25 June 2013 12:49 PM

The impreza hatch is an awesome car. It is very popular in Australia, the USA and Japan. I absolutely love mine to bits.

A combination of terrible marketing, poor exchange rate, high running costs, robbing car tax, high insurance and unfortunately the competiton upping its game has caused many of us to go elsewhere. I don't think a Europhile biased motoring press helped matters either.

T5NYW 25 June 2013 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy (Post 11131355)
A combination of terrible marketing, poor exchange rate, high running costs, robbing car tax, high insurance and unfortunately the competiton upping its game has caused many of us to go elsewhere. I don't think a Europhile biased motoring press helped matters either.

+1

I did hear that some old style Saloons with the new FA2.0 may be brought to the
uK in small numbers.

But maybe late 2014-2015 before the new Saloon and FA2.0 will available for UK.

Although more likely to see the Hybrid FA2.0 being tested at the Ring very soon. ;)

Tony