ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   oil change on a bugeye (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/978319-oil-change-on-a-bugeye.html)

kezwaldo 23 June 2013 09:11 AM

oil change on a bugeye

ive asked this qeustion before when i had a classic ......but as i am taken ownership of a 2002 wrx bug this week ill ask again ..can someone reccomend a good oil filter and oil for this model.....on my classic i used original subaru filter off ebay and castrol 10w - 40w semi synthetic if i remember and that was fine.

kezwaldo 23 June 2013 09:12 AM

oh there is also k+N oil filters and blueprint available on flea bay

MattyB1983 23 June 2013 09:17 AM

This --

http://www.scoobyparts.com/acatalog/...LTER_DEAL.html

JonMc 23 June 2013 11:25 AM

Some people will swear at you if you use anything less than an OE oil filter, but I've used blueprint on my bug WRX for the last 7-years without an issue and will continue to do so. 10w-40 or 10w-50 are fine but fully synth will last longer then semi-synth (ie it won't degrade as quickly between changes) given the extra heat and battering of the turbo.

I normally use Millers fully synth but I'm going to give their nano-tech stuff ago on the next change:wonder:

Midlife...... 23 June 2013 11:54 AM

Phone Alyn at AS performance

www.asperformance.com

Tell him what car you have, the mods it has and the rest, he will suggest what you need (not what you don't need) and it will arrive next day usually..

Shaun

scoobaru mad 23 June 2013 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 11129336)
Some people will swear at you if you use anything less than an OE oil filter, but I've used blueprint on my bug WRX for the last 7-years without an issue and will continue to do so. 10w-40 or 10w-50 are fine but fully synth will last longer then semi-synth (ie it won't degrade as quickly between changes) given the extra heat and battering of the turbo.

I normally use Millers fully synth but I'm going to give their nano-tech stuff ago on the next change:wonder:

Nanodrive Jon :thumb:

An it's very very good!! I've got 10w50 in mine. It's not cheap, but worth every penny in my mind.:D

MattyB1983 23 June 2013 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by scoobaru mad (Post 11129390)

An it's very very good!! I've got 10w50 in mine. It's not cheap, but worth every penny in my mind.:D

How can you tell its better than another brand ??
What makes it "very very good" ???

SLAB 23 June 2013 12:54 PM

Aren't some made of card in side and the other expensive ones a better material

JonMc 23 June 2013 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by scoobaru mad (Post 11129390)

:Whatever_

I got it at the same price as the normal stuff so it's worth a punt. Sounds very much like what Slick 50 used to do in the good ol' days:D

JonMc 23 June 2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by SLAB (Post 11129416)
Aren't some made of card in side and the other expensive ones a better material

Was that not discussed recently with the redesign of the OE blue filter going down the card route whereas previously they'd been metal inside - I know the current batch of OE ones are causing some concerns:wonder:

the shreksta 23 June 2013 01:10 PM

I always use a genuine black oil filter and fuchs 15-50 pro-r but I will be changing to liquid moly oil when my new engine is built

genuine black oil filters are about £13 from rcm

**** ebay

:D

tubbytommy 23 June 2013 01:32 PM

You dont need 50w oil in a standard car.
all you will be doing is putting thicker oil in that saps power.
a good quality 40w full synth is what you need.

harrisard 23 June 2013 01:44 PM

I always use oe filter an millers cfs 10w40 for my02 Sti prodrive.

Harri

scoobaru mad 23 June 2013 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11129399)
How can you tell its better than another brand ??
What makes it "very very good" ???

Fast cars review

http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2012/08/28/...anodrive-test/

Millers (biased i know) website

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/nanodrive.asp

Scooby clinics highly reccomended oil...

http://shop.scoobyclinic.com/index.p...&product_id=81

I can go on and on with examples

On many car forums, oil is a very touchy subject. Viscositys, how much, what filters etc etc.

I can only go off what the big tuners reccomend for good protection NOT performance gain. Having spoken to API, scoobyclinic, cams performance, the oil man an so fourth. Millers Nano drive was reccomended when questioned about it. 10w50 was a good weight to suit my level on tune. I 'think' but don't quote me on this API reccomended semi synth though? Or something like that?

Millers has a very good reputation in the performance car market. And Nanodrive having been proven on many tests have shown its a very capable engine oil for protection and longitivity.

Your engine does like to eat it on track days mind :lol1: but what oil isn't muched when driven hard :D

Probably gonna get my head chewed off for what I've written but hey. It's only an engine oil guys. Just giving my 2p

Peace :thumb:

tubbytommy 23 June 2013 02:14 PM

Subaru recommend 10w40w for standard engines.
but hey what do they know??
50w if the engine is tuned maybe but its not.

scoobaru mad 23 June 2013 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11129487)
Subaru recommend 10w40w for standard engines.
but hey what do they know??
50w if the engine is tuned maybe but its not.

Kind agree with you on that Tom.

Looking in the manual (I know)

It's either 5w30 10w40 OR an I quote "if driven in severe conditions" 10w50.

If I can dig it out, I can quote the page number.

BUT at the end of the day. As long as its checked regularly, an topped up when needed. An your not using olive oil. The old boxer should be fine :)

JohnnyBlaze 23 June 2013 07:44 PM

Manual for 2002 wrx specifically says to use 5w30 unless you live in desert, so that's what I've always gone with. Unless your car is modified or you do live in a desert I'd stick to that.

Worlasshasansti 23 June 2013 08:07 PM

+1 for Alyn at AS performance, black oe filter and millers cfs in mine, good deal from Alyn and I hear he does super quick delivery too :thumb:

Mick

kezwaldo 08 July 2013 05:19 PM

my car is running 298bhp so in this case maybe i should go for the 10w 50w synthetic

Worlasshasansti 08 July 2013 05:28 PM

Can't see why, mines 330 and I'm not running a 50w oil in mine, I don't think there's any need if you use an OE filter and a good oil like millers cfs

Mick

beashybear 10 July 2013 08:33 AM

Opie oils website,gulf comp 5/40 good stuff at a good price ask tim the oilman :) im 300bhp running the above 3 years n still sweet mate