ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Classic dump valve (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/978252-classic-dump-valve.html)

Peter Pan 22 June 2013 02:42 PM

Classic dump valve

I've have a V3 STI that we brought over from Japan around 8 years ago where it's sat until this week until I finally got it registered and on the road. There's nothing wrong with the way it goes in fact it seems go very well from what it seems like a standard car.
However when I change gear and the car drops off boost it sounds like it has an after market dump valve fitted but on closer inspection it looks like it's still running the standard one, Does sound about right or is the anything to check?
I know I never had this with an RA I owned a good few years ago and neither does this happen with the old mans standard Spec C.

Thanks in advance
Jay

Codders 22 June 2013 03:01 PM

You would have to provide is with a picture of the valve you've got there.. you could have a hybrid which returns to the intake, but on higher boost, still vents to the atmosphere.

Peter Pan 22 June 2013 03:25 PM

Arr ok, thanks for the reply. Not sure how to put pics up?? But it looks identical to the OE dump valve which is what's thrown me. As you know when you get the cars direct from Japan you don't know what aftermarket parts are fitted?? Some are obvious and others are not so??

alcazar 22 June 2013 03:49 PM

has it an induction kit?

Mine has (MAF-less) and the recirculating dumpvalve is nearly as loud as a VTA one:(

Peter Pan 22 June 2013 04:02 PM

No it's standard at the mo but it will be having one soon, although it didn't have the plastic pipe fitted that goes into the inner wing and bolts to the front panel with a sensor in it. Instead the sensor was attached to a plastic blanking plate clipped into the inner wing.
You don't really know what's been taken off either??

Codders 22 June 2013 04:07 PM

That's a good point Alcazar.. some intakes can make similar sound as well :thumb:

jayp71
What you're talking about is an active carbon filter in the wing thingy.. which on most of our cars had been blanked off at some stage as its completely redundant lol.
Its some useless eco thing, which makes no difference for the engine really but costs a fortune to replace.

Peter Pan 22 June 2013 04:49 PM

I did wonder what the hell that was for, as it really didn't seem to have a purpose except hold the sensor Lol. Looks like that's going to be taken off and the plastic plate put back on :thumb:

MattyB1983 22 June 2013 04:58 PM

Peter Pan 22 June 2013 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11128633)

Hi Matty, I've used it before to put pics up of my old Evo on the MLR but can't remember how to transfer them onto a forum?? I'll have to have a look on there to see if I can work it out again??

MattyB1983 22 June 2013 06:00 PM

Copy the img code and post it here.

alcazar 22 June 2013 08:07 PM

"having an induction kit soon???"

Really?

You HAVE done your research then? Or not.

Peter Pan 22 June 2013 08:38 PM

Yep, Induction kit, exhaust, decat and ESL board fitted and mapped by Simon from JGM early next month, I explained what would be done to the car at the time of mapping etc he didn't seem to have any concerns. Is there anything you know that could pose a problem that he doesn't??

Peter Pan 22 June 2013 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11128690)
Copy the img code and post it here.

Thanks for the info Matty :thumb: