ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   2003 JDM boost problem (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/978243-2003-jdm-boost-problem.html)

Peedee 22 June 2013 01:26 PM

2003 JDM boost problem

Hi guys,

My 2003 sti JDM has developed a boost problem......

I was going onto the motorway and got the car up to about 4.5k rpm, under full chat. Car was boosting perfectly and then I felt it loose boost?

The car runs, drives and idles fine and there are no warning lights on the dash. I have checked all boost hoses and all other hoses, no leaks were found and everything was tightened. This made no difference. I changed the DV back to the standard item (from an HKS), still no difference. I've just cleaned the air filter and am waiting for it to dry (the filter was pretty minging).

The car is perfect, except not boosting properly (I would say it has lost about 70 - 80% boost, there is still a very small amount of boost, as if something is restricting it??)

Car has been mapped and has a full miltek with sports cat but has been running perfectly up until the point where it lost boost.

Any ideas guys?

tubbytommy 22 June 2013 01:46 PM

are you sure its not the hot ambient temperatures, having had turbocharged petrol cars for some years now I noticed the hot weather seems to effect it quite a lot, especially as you have a top mount the heat soak can effect the boost.

Peedee 22 June 2013 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11128450)
are you sure its not the hot ambient temperatures, having had turbocharged petrol cars for some years now I noticed the hot weather seems to effect it quite a lot, especially as you have a top mount the heat soak can effect the boost.

No, in short. I see what you're saying, but there's no way that the car could lose so much power just through a bit of heat soak. I felt the car physically lose power in one swift go coming onto the motorway, and since then it hasn't been boosting properly.

stevep360 22 June 2013 02:19 PM

prolly a boost leak or coil maybe

MichaelW 22 June 2013 02:24 PM

Does the engine management light work? If there's no boost leak then I would suggest a sensor. Might be worth getting it plugged in to a diagnostic scan tool.

TonyBurns 22 June 2013 02:46 PM

Had a similar problem, actually it was 2 problems, one was the camshaft sensor the other was the NPS.
Best bet is getting it on a diagnostic machine/rolling road to see what it pulls up.

Tony:)

Peedee 22 June 2013 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 11128496)
Had a similar problem, actually it was 2 problems, one was the camshaft sensor the other was the NPS.
Best bet is getting it on a diagnostic machine/rolling road to see what it pulls up.

Tony:)

NPS?

B0DSKI 22 June 2013 03:03 PM

Neutral position switch ;)

Peedee 22 June 2013 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by B0DSKI (Post 11128510)
Neutral position switch ;)

Oh ok. Pardon the ignorance, but what does that do (or possibly not do in my case) x

Peedee 22 June 2013 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by MichaelW (Post 11128477)
Does the engine management light work? If there's no boost leak then I would suggest a sensor. Might be worth getting it plugged in to a diagnostic scan tool.

The engine management light is not on mate. No other lights on the dash either (except the ones that shoud be on!). Everything looks normal.

Shaun 22 June 2013 03:31 PM

A failing NPS switch can effect the use of the VVT Heads/CAMS. However, I'm not sure how that would reduce boost as you're suggesting.

wrx271 22 June 2013 06:29 PM

If the boost just fell away it sounds like a pipe is off or split or maybe your actuator has come off the waste gate arm there's a load off vacume hosese are you sure you've checked them all

Maz 22 June 2013 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11128533)
A failing NPS switch can effect the use of the VVT Heads/CAMS. However, I'm not sure how that would reduce boost as you're suggesting.

I had a failing NPS (MY04 JDM STI) and did not even know. It didn't affect anything in terms of how the car ran and I was even able to have the car mapped without it affecting things. It does sound like a split hose or something along them lines.:)

wrx271 22 June 2013 06:43 PM

My nps played up when I had the l/c mapped I suppose if the car thinks its in neutral then it could take the boost out the equation but I'm guessing I don't know if the nps could do that didn't scooby clinc have a issue with a nps switch that troubled them cant remember what it was now.

Peedee 22 June 2013 08:44 PM

I've just checked everything again, took the heat shield off, checked the actuator, all connections, nothing seems wrong (that I can see).

ian12 23 June 2013 10:50 AM

Had the same issue as this on my03 jdm cleaned the boost control solenoid and haven't had a issue since. Always worth a try.

Peedee 23 June 2013 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ian12 (Post 11129286)
Had the same issue as this on my03 jdm cleaned the boost control solenoid and haven't had a issue since. Always worth a try.

Where is this located mate? (Pic??)

stevep360 23 June 2013 11:40 AM

Drivers side front near strut

MichaelW 23 June 2013 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Peedee (Post 11128522)
The engine management light is not on mate. No other lights on the dash either (except the ones that shoud be on!). Everything looks normal.

It might not be on but does it actually work? When I bought mine it had a running and boost issue but no engine management light was on. When I started investigating it the engine management light didn't actually work.

Peedee 23 June 2013 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by stevep360 (Post 11129345)

There are lots of things around that area dude, what does it look like? I'm no car expert lol!

Peedee 23 June 2013 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by stevep360 (Post 11129345)

Got a pic? There's a few things around that sot of area, I'm no car expert lol

ian12 23 June 2013 12:12 PM

It will have two vac pipes attached to it one going to the inlet trunk and one leading to the turbo/actuator on a T piece. Remove from drivers side strut tower remove vac pipes and clean with some brake cleaner.

Peedee 23 June 2013 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ian12 (Post 11129373)
It will have two vac pipes attached to it one going to the inlet trunk and one leading to the turbo/actuator on a T piece. Remove from drivers side strut tower remove vac pipes and clean with some brake cleaner.

Ok kl. I've removed it. It's just a case of getting some brake cleaner down the two holes that the vacuum pipes connect onto?

ian12 23 June 2013 01:15 PM

Yep that's it.

ian12 24 June 2013 02:03 PM

Any good?

XDevil666 24 June 2013 03:03 PM

No idea if this will be anything to do with your problem, but i found my lack of boost was due to the exaust been lose on the front section where it leaves the manifold

joz8968 24 June 2013 04:05 PM

You mention 4.5k revs... Will it now not go past that?

If so, is your speedo also not working? Cause if not, it's a classic sign of gearbox sensor failure, IIRC.

Peedee 28 June 2013 01:00 PM

Hi guys,

Ok, update for any one else who may have a 'mapped' JDM (no doubt applies to uk cars too!)

Firstly, thanks to Paul @ Xtreme Scoobies for sorting it!!

Ok, so, plugged the car into the diagnostics, took the map off and drove it up the road.....perfect drive with the standard map and, more importantly, boosted fine (although the overall power of the car was obviously down, but this is to be expected with the standard map).

The Powerstation map was then put back onto the car, test drove and was fine. It's suspected that the MAF may possibly be on the way out, but for now, its fine. When the MAF goes, it goes, no great drama, but until then, its back to normal!

joz8968 28 June 2013 03:44 PM

:thumb: