ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   How is it red bull and vettel are so quick? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/978187-how-is-it-red-bull-and-vettel-are-so-quick.html)

STEVEBOXER 21 June 2013 04:25 PM

How is it red bull and vettel are so quick?

How is it possible vettel can lead from pole and pull away a second or more a lap against Hamilton who's no rookie.
Aerodynamics , tyres or other secret measures like map tweaks or tranction control done by engine mapping.

Rob swallow 21 June 2013 04:30 PM

Think it's down to car set up. They set their cars for corners not straight line speed.

MattyB1983 21 June 2013 04:34 PM

Its the car not the driver. He just has the better car.

The Pink Ninja 21 June 2013 04:46 PM

Agreed its a way better car than anything else on the grid, Even Lewis said vettel a had the best car for the last 3 years :D

Ryannew2scoob 21 June 2013 05:11 PM

Adrian newey red bulls aerodynamicist is a genius. There cars are brilliant in long fast corners and clear air. Vettel gets pole and pulls away in clear air. Everyone else is in dirty air so there tyres wear faster and they lose down force being in the pack. Notice how the red bull isn't as strong when they start from lower down (apart from abu dhabi last year). Don't get me wrong vettels up there as a driver but he's no god like he's made out to be :)

urban 21 June 2013 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11127698)
Its the car not the driver. He just has the better car.

Don't think that's quite the whole story if you bring Webber into the equation.

MartynJ 21 June 2013 06:35 PM

Never mind the fact that he's running in clean air and not having to fight for position.

CREWJ 21 June 2013 06:53 PM

It's partly due to the car and partly to Vettel. He is possibly the best driver on the grid at least up there with Alonso and Hamilton. I still think he has the best car though.

AndyBaker 21 June 2013 07:28 PM

Adrian Newey

ash_martin_87 21 June 2013 07:57 PM

Unfortunately the vettel/Newey combo just works! I'm a mclaren/Hamilton fan myself and I'd argue that in terms of raw speed Hamilton is the fastest driver at present... Throw in technicality and Alonso is probably the quickest... But vettel does arguably have the best all-round car package at the moment!

MattyB1983 21 June 2013 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11127728)
Don't think that's quite the whole story if you bring Webber into the equation.

Vettel is a very very good driver in the best car. Its a great combination that just works. Webber just aint as quick, simple as that really.

alcazar 21 June 2013 10:00 PM

Hang on............this is SUBARU related because...........?

Mods, move this to the crap forum please..........

:D

urban 21 June 2013 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11127982)
Vettel is a very very good driver in the best car. Its a great combination that just works. Webber just aint as quick, simple as that really.

i.e its not just the car?

Tidgy 21 June 2013 11:56 PM

Vettles good driver, is he as good as ham and the likes? mmm, dunno, tends ot be best car wins now adays, not best driver

STEVEBOXER 22 June 2013 01:53 AM

I wander if the introduction of the v6 turbo engine in 2014 will stir things up for red bull , I too believe Adrian newey provides the advantage although Mercedes seem to be closing the gap.

ROSCO99 22 June 2013 08:00 AM

Red bull give you wings.

MattyB1983 22 June 2013 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11128141)
i.e its not just the car?

Oh yes, ofcourse the driver has a part to play. I just meant that its far more about the car as vettel is not the best driver on the grid, in my opinion.

CREWJ 22 June 2013 09:30 AM

As much as I don't like him, I think Alonso is the best driver.

Shaun 22 June 2013 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by AndyBaker (Post 11127853)
Adrian Newey

+1

The guy is an absolute legend.

STEVEBOXER 08 July 2013 06:38 PM

How come Hamilton was on pole in Germany but both red bulls had him at the start ?

MattyB1983 08 July 2013 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by STEVEBOXER (Post 11143764)
How come Hamilton was on pole in Germany but both red bulls had him at the start ?

Quicker.

f1_fan 08 July 2013 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by STEVEBOXER (Post 11143764)

The difference between Sunday and Saturday was track temperature. The Mercedes struggles to use its tyres properly in the heat and with a full fuel load and generates a lot of slippage compared to Red Bull or Lotus. Hamilton got off the line well, but if you watch the onboard as soon as he changes into second the Bulls start to pass him as he has wheelspin whereas they don't.

Because the Merc's tyres are slipping and sliding more in the heat they wear quicker and as well as having less pace than some they need to change them earlier. It's been their Achilles heel for 3 years, but they do now seem to have a better car in colder temperatures now which is why they could win at Silverstonre.

Also at the weelend Pirelli introduced new tyres with a Kevlar band as opposed to steel and I think these suited the Red Bulls and Lotus cars more than the Mercs.

Red Bull have produced another superb all round package that if the tyres weren't limiting the cars so much would be even further ahead in my opnion, but they also have Vettel who is a top driver... it's not just the car. Put a metronomic teutonic talented German in the best car in F1 and we all know what happens.

Arguably Alonso and Hamilton are better drivers, but not by much and not by enough to make up the gap between their machinery and the Bulls over the course of a season.

Next year it all changes and Ferrari have Rory Byrne back int heir design team. Everyone talks about Newey, but between 1994 and 2004 Byrne's cars won 7 WDCs and 7 WCCs.... a lot more than Newey in the same time span. Next year's Ferrari could be the car to watch and with Alosno in the cockpit who knows what could happen!