ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Trackers are they worth it? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/977476-trackers-are-they-worth-it.html)

Stiofan 13 June 2013 01:24 PM

Trackers are they worth it?

I know people will come here to say of course they are if your car get's nicked...

I recently bought a blob STi that has a RAC trackstar fitted, i called trackstar and the annual renewal is about £150, apparently it's an old system and lacks some of the newer features like being able to track the vehicle yourself, only they can track it if you call them to report it stolen.

So how many of you who have trackers fitted subscribe to trackstar and are they the only option for subscriptions if you have a trackstar fitted?

Stiofan

Osimabu 13 June 2013 01:46 PM

I like these ones:

http://www.tracker-bar.co.uk/about#.Ubm9_5wQOJs

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

I bought my Blob with the RAC Trackstar fitted and then had to pay about £450 for a lifetime subscription to it. It's not transferrable between owners which is a nice little earner for the RAC.

But when I initially contacted them to see if it still worked, all they told me to do was give them their reference number for the unit and park the car outside for half an hour.

When I rang back, they told me my address and where it was parked, which I had given them no clue about. That seemed rather impressive, so I coughed up.

But then there is the argument that you probably don't really want your car back after some scumsucker (anyone remember Sledgehammer?) has thrashed it to death.

I hope this is of some use, but reading it back, I'm not sure if it is!

Stiofan 13 June 2013 01:58 PM

£450 for lifetime is not bad but i doubt i would keep her more than a few years...

What does not seem to make sense to me is the prices my insurer is giving me...

722 Imobiliser + tracker
722 Tracker only
666 Nothig fitted
660 Imobiliser only

Why the hell would i want to activate it, it's gona cost me £150 subscription + £62 extra for insurance...

Stiofan

Infected by sti 13 June 2013 02:01 PM

Simple answer to that then really, and it is dont bother :thumb:

Mines got a life time tracker fitted also can't think who its with now :wonder:

northern monkey sti 13 June 2013 02:01 PM

I have one fitted to my blobeye and when I phoned to renew my insurance they said it makes no difference to annual premiums so I did not activate it. Id say save your money, like above would you really want car back after its been nicked.

Stiofan 13 June 2013 02:05 PM

yeah no chance i'm renewing it... I bought a GPS tracker from china for a few bucks, think i'll just install that and say nothing...

Thanks guys

bigtel 13 June 2013 02:08 PM

Cheap ones on ebay are great only £15 - £30. Chuck a PAYG sim in and text it for a text back with a google map of where it is.

Osimabu 13 June 2013 02:10 PM

I would suggest trying a few more insurers before you totally give up on it. A Plan, Greenlight and Keith Michaels are my usual ones.

Stiofan 13 June 2013 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by bigtel (Post 11119879)
Cheap ones on ebay are great only £15 - £30. Chuck a PAYG sim in and text it for a text back with a google map of where it is.

Yeah that's the one i got, i guess i'll fit it at the weekend...

Stiofan

neil-h 13 June 2013 02:22 PM

Just to be the exception to the rule, when I tried getting quotes on my hawkeye online (gocompare) it was only a couple of companies at around £1200. With the tracker fitted how ever it went down to pretty much any company you like and a best quote of £740 (with my existing insurer too).

The tracker only cost around £550 fitted and subscribed to, so the piece of mind and convenience with insurance was a no brainer tbh.

Stiofan 13 June 2013 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11119890)
Just to be the exception to the rule, when I tried getting quotes on my hawkeye online (gocompare) it was only a couple of companies at around £1200. With the tracker fitted how ever it went down to pretty much any company you like and a best quote of £740 (with my existing insurer too).

The tracker only cost around £550 fitted and subscribed to, so the piece of mind and convenience with insurance was a no brainer tbh.

Maybe it's a newer car thing, i just tested it on compare the market and all the quotes increased by about 40-150 for my blob eye.

Greg Murphy 13 June 2013 04:03 PM

the tracker doesn't make the insurance come down as u have seen so there wouldn't be any point to activating it it

stonejedi 13 June 2013 04:53 PM

If its on your car and you are looking to keep it for a while i would activate it,i cannnot count the times someones subaru has got stolen and one of the first things that gets posted as a reply is"did the car have a tracker was it activated".I think it gives you abit more piece of mind i know speaking personally that i would rather have one working on my car then not have one at all.if you do activate it pay the bigger tax and get it for life time as long as you own the car,as paying yearly or monthly subscription works out much more.SJ.

the shreksta 13 June 2013 05:00 PM

admiral wanted an extra £90 if i had my tracker on,there resoponse was that it means the car is more likely to be stolen as its of higher value..............................well yeah-THATS WHY I WANT A ****ING TRACKER ON IT YOU GIANT ***** :brickwall:brickwall:brickwall:brickwall:brickwall :brickwall

stonejedi 13 June 2013 05:07 PM

How stupid is that reasoning:freak3:admiral take your head out of your asses so you can think sensible.SJ.

the shreksta 13 June 2013 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by stonejedi (Post 11120041)
How stupid is that reasoning:freak3:admiral take your head out of your asses so you can think sensible.SJ.

they also said if the car was garaged it would cost more.............................................. .....because the thief has more time to work on the car

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Stiofan 13 June 2013 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11120043)
they also said if the car was garaged it would cost more.............................................. .....because the thief has more time to work on the car

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Do we get a discount if we just leave the keys in it :brickwall

stonejedi 13 June 2013 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stiofan (Post 11120065)
Do we get a discount if we just leave the keys in it :brickwall

:lol1: with a tank full of petrol an A to Z guide of Great Britain and a picnic basket plus capital radio tuned in ready to go,for zero excess.SJ.