ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   rally car with 34mm restrictor vf23 or td05??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/977470-rally-car-with-34mm-restrictor-vf23-or-td05.html)

tom-r33 13 June 2013 11:50 AM

rally car with 34mm restrictor vf23 or td05???

I'm building a rally car which has to run a 34mm inlet restrictor. I have 2 turbos in my possesion which would be suitable but I cant make my mind up between running the vf23 or the td05 (16g I think, off a v2 sti)
What would you choose and why?
Engine spec is basically standard sti v3 with harvey up pipe, ported headers, front mount intercooler and lightweight flywheel and pulleys

wms-racing 13 June 2013 08:12 PM

VF23 will work better as its smaller and will spool well with the restricor, vf 34 is pretty much the std most use with a restrictor. If your running vpower the best ive seen is 280bhp, well within the vf23's capacity. If your running Carless 102, the best engine ive done is 332bhp on a vf34.

AS Performance 13 June 2013 09:24 PM

if you have the budget convert to twin scroll.................

Adma-RA 15 June 2013 10:24 PM

wms-racing - what (in your opinion) is the best real-world solution on a 34mm? By real world I mean something that isn't serious money to replace and/or is fairly reliable when run with ALS and DV-less.

I've not got a manifold to start with so it makes no real odds wether it's single or twin scroll, but was looking to use an MD321 for sprint work so have a slight single preference.

tom-r33 17 June 2013 09:10 AM

Thanks for the response WMS.
I assume the 330+bhp was achieved using a stroker motor and had some 'trick mods'?
Which twin scroll would you recommend? How much earlier would it produce boost?
I have read you need to run a different sump with a twin scroll manifold, is this correct?
Tom

white noise 17 June 2013 09:38 AM

If you need any restrictors made or bits for rally car
i work as a cnc machinist and could make the odd thing for you :)

Made these before out of ally, can email pictures to show you them

Neil

wms-racing 17 June 2013 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Adma-RA (Post 11122144)
wms-racing - what (in your opinion) is the best real-world solution on a 34mm? By real world I mean something that isn't serious money to replace and/or is fairly reliable when run with ALS and DV-less.

I've not got a manifold to start with so it makes no real odds wether it's single or twin scroll, but was looking to use an MD321 for sprint work so have a slight single preference.

Most are runniing VF34's, spool well, make good power and easy to get hold of. I tried a twin scroll setup with a vf37, but switched to the Vf34 as Graham Martin has had some billet wheels made so we wanted to test that with the 34. I believe the VF36 (twin scroll) is very good but havn't tried one my self.

wms-racing 17 June 2013 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by tom-r33 (Post 11123290)
Thanks for the response WMS.
I assume the 330+bhp was achieved using a stroker motor and had some 'trick mods'?
Which twin scroll would you recommend? How much earlier would it produce boost?
I have read you need to run a different sump with a twin scroll manifold, is this correct?
Tom

My car and the 332 engine are virtually the same spec, both 2.0 as you have to run a 32mm restictor if you are over 2,000cc to be legal!!
They are both 10:1cr with ported heads, group A/wrc cams, my headers and rotated vf'34's. The 332 engine has supertech valves and has +10bhp and +25ftlbs over my engine :-( need to go shopping ;-)
Yes the twin scroll needs a differnt sump.
I'm not sure how much the twin scroll improves spool over a 34?

tom-r33 17 June 2013 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by white noise (Post 11123330)
If you need any restrictors made or bits for rally car
i work as a cnc machinist and could make the odd thing for you :)

Made these before out of ally, can email pictures to show you them

Neil

Awesome, thanks for the offer. Can you replicate the TEG 34mm restrictor? Which I believe is the.best out there?

tom-r33 17 June 2013 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by wms-racing (Post 11123371)
My car and the 332 engine are virtually the same spec, both 2.0 as you have to run a 32mm restictor if you are over 2,000cc to be legal!!
They are both 10:1cr with ported heads, group A/wrc cams, my headers and rotated vf'34's. The 332 engine has supertech valves and has +10bhp and +25ftlbs over my engine :-( need to go shopping ;-)
Yes the twin scroll needs a differnt sump.
I'm not sure how much the twin scroll improves spool over a 34?

Ok! I have a stroker I was seriously tempted to use, but a 32mm on a 2.1 would be rubbish!
What sort of money we looking at to build one of those engines? I need one! But don't want to spend too much, I already have alot of parts from a broken v3/4 sti, worked heads, cams, crank, pistons, rods, ACL bearings etc... PM me so we can discuss in detail
Cheers

Henrik 17 June 2013 05:46 PM

If the restrictor limits power to 280ish, can you not fit a td04 and get decent spool as well as a cheap turbo?

wms-racing 18 June 2013 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by tom-r33 (Post 11123415)
Ok! I have a stroker I was seriously tempted to use, but a 32mm on a 2.1 would be rubbish!
What sort of money we looking at to build one of those engines? I need one! But don't want to spend too much, I already have alot of parts from a broken v3/4 sti, worked heads, cams, crank, pistons, rods, ACL bearings etc... PM me so we can discuss in detail
Cheers

It's expensive to build to this spec, CDB, 14mm studs, special pistons to get CR up, cams, porting etc. Cost from me would be in the region of £7500.
The single biggest thing you could do to get good power would be to run it on Carless turbo ultimate, it's £4 a ltr though.

tom-r33 18 June 2013 11:52 AM

7.5k! Urgh! I'm hoping to build my whole car for less than that!
I think I will just go with a fairly standard but fresh sti motor with forged pistons, like I said I have most of the parts required, and think my money would be better spent on a turbo rather than cams, studs, porting etc
Do you guys build engines using used parts like cranks and rods?
I thought the rules stipulated 'pump fuel' had to be used? And from that I assumed that was fuel that was readily available from any pump, i.e. v-power, momentum etc etc?! How is a 102 Ron fuel allowed? I have some 119 that needs using, can I run the car on that?!

white noise 18 June 2013 11:59 AM

pm sent

AS Performance 18 June 2013 12:51 PM

MSA rules allow a max of 102RON fuel.................

as for the turbo then the twin scroll with suitable matching headers/sump will outperform a single by a decent margin (everything else being equal) - every grpN car from 2003> has been to this spec

tom-r33 18 June 2013 01:05 PM

Ah thanks, I must be getting confused with my last competition car rules!

Which twin scroll turbo and manifold would you recommend for my application?

Cheers

tom-r33 18 June 2013 01:27 PM

Ah thanks, I must be getting confused with my last competition car rules!

Which twin scroll turbo and manifold would you recommend for my application?

Cheers