ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Am I just being weird? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/977333-am-i-just-being-weird.html)

harry007 11 June 2013 08:42 PM

Am I just being weird?

(before we start im not racist, im mixed race myself)

8.20pm this evening. Young black man knocks the door. Spoke sooooo fast and claims he's from eco-residential? checking wall cavities? the thickness etc for insulation?

So he proceeds to drill a hole in the front wall, I do not know why I let him. I shouldn't of. Anyway he wanted to drill a hole in the side wall and back wall, I didnt allow that. Furthermore he took pictures of the front of the house. Again he wanted side wall and rear pictures, I denied him access and told him to get lost. He was dressed smart and had a ID card.

Ironically if you call eco-residential, there number goes through to a full mailbox??? Furthermore the company only incorporated last year July.

Dodgy or not?

davegtt 11 June 2013 08:49 PM

Nah, probably an agent contracted to bigger energy suppliers. Id guess there is nothing to worry about. Maybe you wasn't enquisitive enough, especially if you let him drill into your house then changed your mind after him doing one wall. Probably just thought you were a potential customer after letting him get so far.

CharlySkunkWeed 11 June 2013 08:50 PM

Its only suspicious if you didnt want cavity wall insulation. Thats how they check to see whats already there . Lets face it , its no more than what you could look up on Google Streetview.

GlesgaKiss 11 June 2013 08:52 PM

This surely can't be a house you own? I would have tore him a new arsehole for even looking at my walls (OK, a slight exaggeration :D).

But you let a guy just come into your house and start drilling holes for no reason? Am I missing something?

harry007 11 June 2013 09:00 PM

exterior wall, so didnt bother me as much. plus i was curious to see what he was on a about.

CharlySkunkWeed 11 June 2013 09:01 PM

Outside walls I would think. Its what they do so cant really be suspicious IMO. The only way I would be suspicious was if he wanted in to nosey round the house , as he would have no reason too.

davegtt 11 June 2013 09:04 PM

Had my cavity walls filled back in Feb, they do drill into the walls and check it out before deciding if you need it etc. Got all mine for free via British Gas and Im not a customer so if you are interested give them a bell. Most house are being done via government grants now.

Dingdongler 11 June 2013 09:05 PM

The only thing that is weird is that you would allow some guy you have never seen before to start drilling holes in your house.:wonder::wonder:

Perhaps you enjoy a young black buck giving you a quick drilling and then disappearing into the night??:Suspiciou:Suspiciou

CharlySkunkWeed 11 June 2013 09:06 PM

Lol , at least he didnt let him round the back :)

GlesgaKiss 11 June 2013 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11117792)
Outside walls I would think. Its what they do so cant really be suspicious IMO. The only way I would be suspicious was if he wanted in to nosey round the house , as he would have no reason too.

What?? You would let someone start drilling holes on the outside of your house because 'it's what they do'?

Am I going nuts here? This is not normal behaviour. :lol1:

tony de wonderful 11 June 2013 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by harry007 (Post 11117750)
Dodgy or not?

Do live in social housing?

CharlySkunkWeed 11 June 2013 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 11117814)
What?? You would let someone start drilling holes on the outside of your house because 'it's what they do'?

Am I going nuts here? This is not normal behaviour. :lol1:

If someone called at my house and said they were doing cavity wall insulation and I WANTED IT , then yes , I would let him drill test holes. If I didn't want insulation and he drilled a hole , that's different.

Its like a double glazing salesman measuring your windows.

GlesgaKiss 11 June 2013 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11117832)
If someone called at my house and said they were doing cavity wall insulation and I WANTED IT , then yes , I would let him drill test holes. If I didn't want insulation and he drilled a hole , that's different.

Its like a double glazing salesman measuring your windows.

It's just the way the first post reads... it seems like this guy just showed up and started drilling holes. Totally random. :lol1: "I do not know why I let him. I shouldn't of." Does this read like a guy who's desperate to have his walls insulated? :D

CharlySkunkWeed 11 June 2013 09:23 PM

I assume he asked , and the OP granted.

rooferman 11 June 2013 09:28 PM

Whether they found adequate insulation or not....these companies would still tell you its needed !

tony de wonderful 11 June 2013 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11117811)
Lol , at least he didnt let him round the back :)

Or fill his cavity. :lol1:

Osimabu 11 June 2013 10:17 PM

Have a read of this:

http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity.html

And then see if you still 'need' cavity wall insulation.

urban 12 June 2013 09:21 AM

Did he fill the hole that was drilled?

hodgy0_2 12 June 2013 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 11117801)
Had my cavity walls filled back in Feb, they do drill into the walls and check it out before deciding if you need it etc. Got all mine for free via British Gas and Im not a customer so if you are interested give them a bell. Most house are being done via government grants now.

i believe these type of grants have finished, but could be wrong

we had a company round to test for cavity wall insulation - and he did indeed drill small holes - which he subsequently filled

In fact in the end I did my own cavity wall insulation with quite alot of industrial EPS balls and a modified leaf blower

made quite a difference

David Lock 12 June 2013 01:11 PM

Reminds me of the classic "drilling a hole" con.

Chaps knocks on door of tower block council flat and says council will be fitting front door spy holes. It will cost but this chap can get them a special deal if they pay and book now. He shows them a selection of spyhole fittings and asks them to choose one.

So they pay and guys says fine and he drills the hole through door and says his mate will be there soon to fit the actual thing..........

Funnily enough :nono:

dl

davegtt 12 June 2013 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11118289)
i believe these type of grants have finished, but could be wrong

we had a company round to test for cavity wall insulation - and he did indeed drill small holes - which he subsequently filled

In fact in the end I did my own cavity wall insulation with quite alot of industrial EPS balls and a modified leaf blower

made quite a difference

I believe it is coming to an end but my dad works for British Gas and told me to give them a ring, I get my gas and elecy off E:On, they even did my loft insulation too, agreed it does make a difference. House stays warmer once the heating is switched off.

mrmadcap 12 June 2013 07:06 PM

Was he a Geordie guy with Eastern Europeans working for him on £10 quid an hour?

Jamie 12 June 2013 07:43 PM

So he proceeds to drill a hole in the front wall :wonder::brickwall:(

You let some bloke drill into your house? not sure who the muppet is here:Suspiciou

cookstar 12 June 2013 10:11 PM

8.20pm this evening. Young black man knocks the door. Spoke sooooo fast and claims he's from eco-residential? checking wall cavities? the thickness etc for insulation?

So he proceeds to drill a hole in the front wall, I do not know why I let him. I shouldn't of. Anyway he wanted to drill a hole in the side wall and back wall, I didnt allow that. Furthermore he took pictures of the front of the house. Again he wanted side wall and rear pictures, I denied him access and told him to get lost. He was dressed smart and had a ID card.

Ironically if you call eco-residential, there number goes through to a full mailbox??? Furthermore the company only incorporated last year July.

Dodgy or not?

:confused: so what's your point then? What does this have to so with the fact you let someone drill into your wall?

Turbohot 12 June 2013 10:12 PM

8.20pm this evening. Young black man knocks the door............

Hm. So, why does it matter if he were black or pink? Makes no difference, does it? I may be wrong.

Dodgy or not?
See, the one in bold you need to investigate. Is it because you were 'acting' to be tolerant toward a random black person? :D

I'm only messing with you, Harry. :D Saying that, I still don't understand why you let him drill that hole on your wall. You even let him take the picture of the front of your house. Why? No one in right mind would. :Suspiciou

CharlySkunkWeed 13 June 2013 06:20 AM

Whats to worry about someone having a picture of the front of your house ? Is my local estate agent assisting criminal activity ?

urban 13 June 2013 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11119490)
Whats to worry about someone having a picture of the front of your house ? Is my local estate agent assisting criminal activity ?

Picture probably available via google street view anyway

CharlySkunkWeed 13 June 2013 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11119589)
Picture probably available via google street view anyway

Exactly , actually already said that in earlier post.

scoobeenut 13 June 2013 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by mrmadcap (Post 11118970)
Was he a Geordie guy with Eastern Europeans working for him on £10 quid an hour?

:lol: Tea on monitor moment :cry:

Leslie 14 June 2013 07:08 PM

Did he repair the damage before leaving?

Les