ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   LOUDER? Vortex afterburner or Prodrive backbox? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/977136-louder-vortex-afterburner-or-prodrive-backbox.html)

cubbs 09 June 2013 10:54 PM

LOUDER? Vortex afterburner or Prodrive backbox?

Hi, which is louder? Vortex afterburner or Prodrive backbox?

I have the vortex afterburner upturned backbox on my wrx, fitted by previous owner.

I dont really like the looks but whats the sound like compared to other back boxes? I dont mind going a bit quieter.

Thanks

MichaelW 09 June 2013 10:56 PM

The Prodrive one (in my opinion) is quieter and not as deep. I had the Prodrive one on up until 3 weeks ago. I wanted something with a deeper sound so I've now fitted the Vortex Afterburner.

cubbs 09 June 2013 10:59 PM

Cheers. Is yours the angled one like mine? Sticks up! Im not convinced by the looks. Looks like a peco big bore 4 from early 90s. Prodrive outside diameter not as big?

Myles 09 June 2013 11:00 PM

The afterburner is MUCH louder. Sounds nice though!

cubbs 09 June 2013 11:04 PM

Anybody have a group n backbox if they can be fitted? Most rally car exhausts just look plainer and purposeful.

Arkynsei 09 June 2013 11:07 PM

You can get the afterburner in a straight format rather than angled.

MichaelW 09 June 2013 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by cubbs (Post 11115498)
Cheers. Is yours the angled one like mine? Sticks up! Im not convinced by the looks. Looks like a peco big bore 4 from early 90s. Prodrive outside diameter not as big?

Yes, mine is the angled Jap style one. And the exit is bigger than the Prodrive one.

romford-boy 09 June 2013 11:09 PM

there a youtube videos comparing the exhausts.

I have the Afterburner back box, definitely louder - sounded great in the dartford tunnel this evening :)

MichaelW 09 June 2013 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by romford-boy (Post 11115514)
there a youtube videos comparing the exhausts.

I have the Afterburner back box, definitely louder - sounded great in the dartford tunnel this evening :)

I do love tunnels and built up areas with mine. Unfortunately the neighbours aren't that keen if I go out late at night :norty:

Matt23 10 June 2013 09:22 AM

I had a prodrive back box on mine which lasted all of 24 hours when I got the car, far to quite for me. Got the afterburner vortex on there now and love the sound, unleases the burble nicely. But I suppose it really depends on your personal taste at the end of the day.

Dan- 10 June 2013 10:36 AM

Ill post up my vids for you comparing the 2

Dan- 10 June 2013 10:41 AM

Prodrive box

Afterburner

ace1981 10 June 2013 12:38 PM

I have the Prodrive exhaust on mine - thought it sounded perfectly reasonable until I heard some of the larger exit exhausts on other Imprezas; then I realised just how muted and mild mine sounded in comparison.

Larger exhaust is now on the "to-do" list.