ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Claning interior carpet. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/976643-claning-interior-carpet.html)

alcazar 04 June 2013 11:27 AM

Claning interior carpet.

How? Should it be removed? If so, will it go all out of shape?

My car is a 98 "S" reg, and the carpets, apart from being vacuumed, have never been cleaned. in this hot weather the interior smells "old".

Any thoughts?

I did look at a brand new carpet, but a) they are not available, and b) if they were, they would be £540 plus VAT:eek:

And that's just for the front section :eek: :eek:

Firez34 04 June 2013 12:18 PM

Wet and dry carpet vac if you have one, pull the seats and do it in the car and it'll be dry in an hour or so if it's hot at yours today like at mine. Not done the scoob out of the car but I once pulled my Vec's carpet out and my girt hand soaked and cleaned it with carpet shampoo due to spilled milk. Never went out of shape but took ages to dry.

ilogikal1 04 June 2013 02:39 PM

If you want to clean it, as above with a wet & dry vac.

However, if you just want to rid the smell, a Dakota Odour Bomb will freshen up a very smelly interior well. Failing that, activated carbon left in the car when not in use will draw the smell out.

alcazar 04 June 2013 03:18 PM

OK.........so first off, what is a "Dakota Odour Bomb" and where can they be had?

And secondly, where can activated carbon be had from?

Maz 04 June 2013 03:26 PM

Claning? What the hell is claning?!:D

ditchmyster 04 June 2013 03:28 PM

Taking it out is not too difficult, takes about half an hour max, it has some sort of plasticky resin back so doesn't go out of shape, I did mine with carpet shampoo and a soft scrubbing brush just jet wash it to rinse, then some fabric conditioner rinse again hang it on the washing line on a sunny day and jobs a good un lemon fresh.:thumb:

Rescue Dude 04 June 2013 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11110195)
OK.........so first off, what is a "Dakota Odour Bomb" and where can they be had?

And secondly, where can activated carbon be had from?

I found this;

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/air-fr...prod_1151.html

No idea how permanent they are though.

I'd go for the carpet vac option and perhaps something like the odour bomb option afterwards.

ilogikal1 04 June 2013 03:28 PM

Odour bombs can be purchased here, I've seen them on Amazon and eBay before too. You shouldn't need to use the whole can in a car though, so it should be good for about 6 'treatments' - just a quick blast should be sufficient.

Activated carbon (sometimes sold as activated charcoal) can be found in most pet/aquatic shops or from Amazon and/or eBay and the likes.

alcazar 04 June 2013 03:31 PM

My eldest suggests an ozone generator.

He told me about a bloke he worked with in Holland who had one...he used to smoke weed in his room and no-one could ever smell it after:eek:

Is it harmful? Would it damage/bleach my interior?

ditchmyster 04 June 2013 03:34 PM

I'd be more worried about what it will do to you, and as for the guy smoking with one.:cuckoo:

Rescue Dude 04 June 2013 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11110219)
My eldest suggests an ozone generator.

He told me about a bloke he worked with in Holland who had one...he used to smoke weed in his room and no-one could ever smell it after:eek:

Is it harmful? Would it damage/bleach my interior?

I don't think weed is that harmful if used in moderation....................Oh!!! No idea about the ozone generator.

ilogikal1 04 June 2013 03:36 PM

Ozone is toxic at higher concentrations. It's also likely to cause damage to your interior plastics unless you're very careful.

AndyBaker 04 June 2013 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude (Post 11110225)
I don't think weed is that harmful if used in moderation....................Oh!!! No idea about the ozone generator.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

alcazar 04 June 2013 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11110224)
I'd be more worried about what it will do to you, and as for the guy smoking with one.:cuckoo:

Nah...he smoked the weed, then switched it on to clear the smell. It works, apparently.

Firez34 14 June 2013 11:10 AM

You sorted the carpet yet matey?

alcazar 14 June 2013 03:23 PM

Nope, not enough dry weather here.