ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Group Buys (https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys-356/)
-   -   Mirror-Matic - Automate your electric folding mirrors (https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys-356/976457-mirror-matic-automate-your-electric-folding-mirrors.html)

Major_Sarcasm 02 June 2013 11:43 AM

Mirror-Matic - Automate your electric folding mirrors

3 Attachment(s)
***** UPDATE 20th Aug 2016 - I made more than I needed for the little GB recently (easier to make in certain batch sizes) - I have some units up for grabs *****

------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys

I've been making these little devices on & off for a few years and have run several successful group buys on the GTR Owner's Club & also the GTiR Owner's Club. I did have a thread on here back in 2009 and all the people who bought one were very happy with them.

It's been a long time since I've run a thread on here as I got a lot of negativity from a small number of members (who didn't actually want a device!) over the price I set initially. It was fair comment, the initial price was too high and I reduced it but I've been reluctant to do another GB since.

I've had several emails recently about the Mirror-Matic though asking if I'd build one-offs. They're a ball-ache to make though and so I didn't want to make just one or two. A very nice chap who I've had a nice conversation with suggested that I try another GB. So here it is :thumb:

It works on cars with electrically operated folding mirrors that have a manual rocker-type switch to work them (see photos attached to this post). The mirrors will fold out with either the 'Acc' or 'On' position on your ignition and will fold in when 'off'. The rocker switch can also override the module and fold the mirrors in if required whilst the ignition is on. Any alarm with a 12v output can be wired up to the module for folding on arming. A simple switch can also be installed to prevent the unit from folding the mirrors in if you want to leave the vehicle with the mirrors out.
  • Here is a video of a prototype running on my old Skyline
  • And a finalised version running on my old WRX Impreza Wagon
  • These will also work in conjunction with turbo timers

These are simple to fit and can be removed without problems in a couple of minutes at some future time. The last one took me 15 minutes to install. Supplied with all wiring/connectors. Detailed fitting instructions can be downloaded.

These will fit all Imprezas that have electric folding mirrors from early classics right up to the 2009 Hatch.

The price of these units is £22.50 posted within the UK. I used to charge less, but because the unit won't quite glide through the bloody royal mail slot thing like a greased weasel, they charge me £2.85 2nd class.

Major_Sarcasm 02 June 2013 11:44 AM

See this post on page 5 for the final posted list.

Laupy 02 June 2013 12:04 PM

I'll take one please :)

1. Laupy

Thanks, Paul

tubbytommy 02 June 2013 12:21 PM

Me too.
put me down

Major_Sarcasm 02 June 2013 12:52 PM

Names added to post two :thumb:

p1_cjv 02 June 2013 01:39 PM

Hi Steve,
I got mine last week as you know,quick question,can you give me some pointers on how exactly i get the perm +12v feed connected from the back of the radio/hazard warning light,have followed the instructions to wire up the module to the switch connector and mirror loom,just need some help on the perm live,i've cut a length of wire and connected it from the module and run it through the center console,where it is currently hanging in the drivers footwell!
cheers in advance!

CREWJ 02 June 2013 01:58 PM

That is very neatly done. I don't have electric mirrors, just had to say :D

Major_Sarcasm 02 June 2013 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by CREWJ (Post 11108069)
That is very neatly done. I don't have electric mirrors, just had to say :D

Thanks mate.

Originally Posted by p1_cjv (Post 11108054)
Hi Steve,
I got mine last week as you know,quick question,can you give me some pointers on how exactly i get the perm +12v feed connected from the back of the radio/hazard warning light,have followed the instructions to wire up the module to the switch connector and mirror loom,just need some help on the perm live,i've cut a length of wire and connected it from the module and run it through the center console,where it is currently hanging in the drivers footwell!
cheers in advance!

I'll PM you mate and we'll go through it rather than clutter up my GB thread ;)

-----------------------------------------------

I should point out to avoid confusion that p1_cjv got his unit last week as I had one left over from a GB I did on the GTR forum last year (maybe 2011, lol).

p1_cjv 02 June 2013 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Major_Sarcasm (Post 11108073)
Thanks mate.

I'll PM you mate and we'll go through it rather than clutter up my GB thread ;)
I should point out to avoid confusion that p1_cjv got his unit last week as I had one left over from a GB I did on the GTR forum last year (maybe 2011, lol).

Yep,apologies,chuffed that my speculative email to contact you about these the other week has spurred you into creating another run,there was plenty of interest when i was enquiring,great little mod!:thumb:

Mr Footlong 02 June 2013 08:15 PM

Despite the fact that madam wrote off what was left of my car towing it to Subaru4you yesterday, if I don'tget another one it will most likely prove useful in the future. Put me down for one please.

Sort of on topic, do either the RB5 or P1 come with electric folding mirrors or is that yet another thing that got stripped off on the boat from Japan?

BTW I think that price is a bargain for all the hard work being done for you.

Major_Sarcasm 02 June 2013 08:24 PM

Gutted for you, Nick. Exceptionally bad luck :(

I think the P1s had electric folding mirrors but the RB5 did not. I'm ready to stand corrected on that though.

p1_cjv 02 June 2013 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Major_Sarcasm (Post 11108466)
Gutted for you, Nick. Exceptionally bad luck :(

I think the P1s had electric folding mirrors but the RB5 did not. I'm ready to stand corrected on that though.

Yep,i can correct you on that,i can confirm that the P1 did not come with folding mirrors as standard,but does come with the wiring loom that will run them,just the mirrors and switch needed for plug and play!;)

BIGEMP 02 June 2013 09:23 PM

Steve, i will have one as well please

Thanks

Dave

Major_Sarcasm 02 June 2013 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by p1_cjv (Post 11108565)
Yep,i can correct you on that,i can confirm that the P1 did not come with folding mirrors as standard,but does come with the wiring loom that will run them,just the mirrors and switch needed for plug and play!;)

I stand corrected (well, sat actually) ;)

Originally Posted by big dave aka red devil 2 (Post 11108594)
Steve, i will have one as well please

Thanks

Dave

Your name is now on the list, Dave :)

tubbytommy 02 June 2013 09:35 PM

its pretty easy to fit folding mirrors to a uk car anyway, I did it in about 2 hours.

DantheMan2605 02 June 2013 10:29 PM

Ill have one please.

Major_Sarcasm 02 June 2013 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by DantheMan2605 (Post 11108695)
Ill have one please.

You're on the list bud.

Mark10sti 03 June 2013 01:24 AM

Would love this device, just have to get some electric folding mirrors

yabbadoo4 03 June 2013 03:20 AM

I have manual folding mirrors with electric adjusting on the glass. Does this device make them fold? If so I'll have one too.

Major_Sarcasm 03 June 2013 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11108829)
I have manual folding mirrors with electric adjusting on the glass. Does this device make them fold? If so I'll have one too.

Originally Posted by Major_Sarcasm (Post 11107976)
It works on cars with electrically operated folding mirrors that have a manual rocker-type switch to work them

These will fit all Imprezas that have electric folding mirrors from early classics right up to the 2009 Hatch.

;)

yabbadoo4 03 June 2013 11:49 AM

do i detect a hint of sarcasm? lol put my name down bud please ill have one.

katana man 03 June 2013 06:44 PM

add my name please

Major_Sarcasm 03 June 2013 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11109009)
do i detect a hint of sarcasm? lol put my name down bud please ill have one.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt...alnuo1_500.jpg

There was a little sarcasm there, but it's possible you misunderstood. These will convert electrically folding mirrors into automatic electrically folding mirrors. If your mirrors do not have the motors to fold them contained within, my little tiny box will not create them. If your mirrors fold electrically, your mirror controls will look like one of the pics in the first post.

Originally Posted by katana man (Post 11109384)
add my name please

:thumb:

mickywrx 03 June 2013 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mark7wrx (Post 11108808)
Would love this device, just have to get some electric folding mirrors

Classic or Newage?

Got a pair of classic electric folding mirrors for sale.

How hard is this witchcraft to fit? Are they supplied with destructions?

If they're easy and have destructions, then put me on the list. :thumb:

Major_Sarcasm 03 June 2013 07:51 PM

They're a piece of piss to fit and have all the destruction you can handle. Name added ;)

mickywrx 03 June 2013 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Major_Sarcasm (Post 11109492)
They're a piece of piss to fit and have all the destruction you can handle. Name added ;)

I'd best get an auto electrician on speed dial then. Piece of piss when it comes to electrics is like Astro Physics to me. :D

Cheers. :thumb:

scoobysteve1983 03 June 2013 08:19 PM

i'll have one please! if possible could you email me a set of instructions to fit it on my 2009 hatch. many thanks!

4evernewbie 03 June 2013 08:47 PM

I'll have take one please
Paul

Major_Sarcasm 03 June 2013 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by scoobysteve1983 (Post 11109529)
i'll have one please! if possible could you email me a set of instructions to fit it on my 2009 hatch. many thanks!

I've edited my sig to include links to fitting instructions.

Originally Posted by 4evernewbie (Post 11109576)
I'll have take one please
Paul

Names added! :thumb:

yabbadoo4 03 June 2013 09:13 PM

ok just as well for the sarcasm! i dont have them :cry: name duly removed lol.