ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   2006 Hawkeye using oil (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/976212-2006-hawkeye-using-oil.html)

66AMP77 30 May 2013 03:19 PM

2006 Hawkeye using oil

Hey guys,

Needing some advice, a was on a scooby run a few months ago and stupidly didnt check my oil before going out and hammering it for the day! Heard a wee knocking when i got home left it out on road (as drive is on a slant) for 4-5 hours checked the oil for the dipstick to be dry!! :cry: yes i cried all night as i couldnt believe how stupid i had been and the thought that i had totally destroyed my car!. Anyway to cut a long story short it took 3 litres to fill it and there was no noise once it was started again, but ive been paranoid ever since thinking i can here it running noisy and lumpy. Had it checked theres nothing. But its still using oil i mean i understand they use oil especially if you put your foot down constantly. Theres no smoke theres no leaks.

Any advise for me?? or am i just worrying too much as i use my car everyday. Thanks Alanna x

blackhawksti 30 May 2013 03:26 PM

Is the car on standard internals or has it had forged pistons dropped it any point?
If you look up ring-land failure on here, you should be able to find plenty of content regarding your high oil consumption.
Common problem on the 2.5's

66AMP77 30 May 2013 03:38 PM

Its just standard internals. Okay il look it up thanks x

ste sti spec d 30 May 2013 07:18 PM

The 2.5s do burn oil , it's well known.mines been using oil since I ve owned it ( over 2 years) and runs sweet as a nut.
Ste

Bez300 30 May 2013 07:34 PM

An easy way to check ring-land failure is to remove / tilt back the intercooler if on top mount with pipe disconnected to throttle body disconnected
if you have oil in the TMIC then your engine is possibly breathing heavy due to ring land failure.

Then dig deep & rebuild with Forged pistons, minimum,

Bez

chopperman 30 May 2013 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bez300 (Post 11105494)
An easy way to check ring-land failure is to remove / tilt back the intercooler if on top mount with pipe disconnected to throttle body disconnected
if you have oil in the TMIC then your engine is possibly breathing heavy due to ring land failure.

Bez

WTF?? If it has ring land fracture it will idle very lumpy and smoke. Oil in the intercooler is normal. The head and crankcase breather are routed into the intake as standard. mine still blows oil into the intake with a fresh forged engine, worse since i had the boost turned up. That's the whole point of fitting a catch can.

OP, how much oil over how many miles are you using and how hard are you driving?

The Trooper 1815 30 May 2013 10:49 PM

Tick, tick, tick...................

The Trooper 1815 30 May 2013 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bez300 (Post 11105494)

Bez

LOL

66AMP77 31 May 2013 10:20 AM

Thanks guys!!

Oil usage em a did about 480+ miles after i filled it on that occasion that was on the lower end of the dipstick when i got home. But i was driving quite fast constantly on the motorway home.

Ved 31 May 2013 07:59 PM

Sounds ominous, OP. I'd get it in for an inspection ASAP but I fear the worst.

chopperman 31 May 2013 10:09 PM

480 miles per 3L of oil is very excessive and can be a sign of things like ringland fracture/ liner damage ect. Go and get a compression test or leak down test. That will tell you if you have issues in this area. Probably cost about 1-2 hours labour.

cuprajake 31 May 2013 10:12 PM

Chopper do you have a catch can fitted?

chopperman 31 May 2013 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by cuprajake (Post 11106723)
Chopper do you have a catch can fitted?

Not yet mate. I have to do the secondary air pump delete first to give me space to fit the catch can. I have had the pump fault codes deleted by my mapper and i'm in the process of buyimg a nice Perrin can from a mate. Just need to get some head blanking plate and a sunny weekend.
I didn't realise how much oil gets vented into the intake until i replace my turbo to intercooler hose. There was a big puddle of oil laying in the bottom of the turbo ready to get sucked into the intercooler. must of been half an egg cup full.

cuprajake 31 May 2013 10:52 PM

The perin one is nice the one with silicone. App the hoses are quite small the USA lads fit bigger ports.

In going to copy one and machine billet top n bottoms :)

My air pump got took out while my engine was our :)

chopperman 31 May 2013 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by cuprajake (Post 11106791)
The perin one is nice the one with silicone. App the hoses are quite small the USA lads fit bigger ports.

In going to copy one and machine billet top n bottoms :)

My air pump got took out while my engine was our :)

Yeah, this one has had the ports modified by Paul Finch to address this .:thumb:

cuprajake 31 May 2013 11:22 PM

Don't suppose you know the diameter of it and length? Catch can that is :)

chopperman 01 June 2013 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by cuprajake (Post 11106831)
Don't suppose you know the diameter of it and length? Catch can that is :)

Not yet, should receive it sometime next week.

Shaun 01 June 2013 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by chopperman (Post 11106717)
480 miles per 3L of oil is very excessive and can be a sign of things like ringland fracture/ liner damage ect. Go and get a compression test or leak down test. That will tell you if you have issues in this area. Probably cost about 1-2 hours labour.

"can be"..... I'd be damn sight more to the point than that. I'd go as far to say its ****ed if its "using" that amount of oil in those miles!!! :(

chopperman 01 June 2013 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11107085)
"can be"..... I'd be damn sight more to the point than that. I'd go as far to say its ****ed if its "using" that amount of oil in those miles!!! :(

Not saying it's not ****ed as it clearly is using that amount of oil. Just refraining from diagnosing what's ****ed from the comfort of my Lay z boy.:thumb:

Donz144 04 June 2013 10:00 PM

I'll be very curious to see if tip have done Amy damage. These 2.5 don't like to be run Lean that's for sure. If you're burning oil (a very lean fuel) then your likely in trouble.

Chopper, good job you've had the ports modified but I'd still be very wary of any back pressure, make sure it's done right. Nothing like fitting something that's supposed to help and ends up causing more issues!