ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   help needed guys. snapped my key in ignition barrel (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/973355-help-needed-guys-snapped-my-key-in-ignition-barrel.html)

Martin 2010 29 April 2013 09:49 AM

help needed guys. snapped my key in ignition barrel

Hi guys, ive snapped my key in the ignitiom barrel of my scoob. Im guessin im going to have to replace ignition barrel and all locks ?

Guest 29 April 2013 10:06 AM

Enough sticking out to get a grip on with pliers? If you can get it out again and find one of those old school hardware shops that have been family run for years and cut keys you might be able to get a new one made up, that's what I did when I snapped my Land Rover key. Don't bother trying Timpson's or the like they wouldn't even look at it when I asked there first.

Martin 2010 29 April 2013 12:50 PM

nope its inside the barrel :(

Tidgy 29 April 2013 12:54 PM

is there a hole through from the inside of the barrel to push out a snapped key?

just a wild guess i might add

JDM_Stig 29 April 2013 12:58 PM

get the ignition rotated back to off (if its on) and a small magnet should pull it out, if not a dab of super glue on the end of a small screwdriver,when its dry just pull gently,
if you have a spare key then obviously you dont need to replace the locks.

Martin 2010 29 April 2013 01:01 PM

gonna have to go tackle it ill try them ideas cheers. but nope no spare :( doh.

Bean1984 29 April 2013 01:07 PM

Have you got a magnetic screwdriver mate pref a flat head. Done the trick in my citreon relay at work. You pretty much got three options mate

1. Ask subaru for the original key but thats gonna be big money

2. Replace all the locks

3. If you get the key out, try n superglue the snapped part n go and get a new key cut from some old skool place

Good luck mate

Henrik 29 April 2013 01:51 PM

replacing all keys and barrels is big money too... I got charged 860 quid last year :(

chopperman 29 April 2013 01:52 PM

You maybe able to order a new barrel to your key number so you don't have to change all the locks to keep it to one key. I had to change a door lock on the wifes Honda Jazz and the Honda dealer ordered me a lock to the same key number.

Firez34 29 April 2013 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11074235)
get the ignition rotated back to off (if its on) and a small magnet should pull it out, if not a dab of super glue on the end of a small screwdriver,when its dry just pull gently,

+1 on the magnet used that trick before when my saxo key snapped in the barrel. Used an old magnetic sump plug to pull it out.

Firez34 29 April 2013 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11074235)

+1 on the magnet, used on old magnetic sump plug to get the snapped key out the barrel.