ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Boss is tracking me on my ipad is it legal (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/972621-boss-is-tracking-me-on-my-ipad-is-it-legal.html)

vallumlj 22 April 2013 08:47 AM

Boss is tracking me on my ipad is it legal

My Boss and has just told as all to add him as a friend on our ipads using the app find my friends.

We have all added him but is it legal for him to track us? At my last job I thought I had to sign something in my contract.

Turbo Tone 22 April 2013 08:49 AM

Was the I pad issued to you by your work or is it a personal I pad?

riiidaa 22 April 2013 08:58 AM

go in to settings > location services and turn off the find friends option when not at work ;)

Tidgy 22 April 2013 09:08 AM

what you trying to hide?

RA Dunk 22 April 2013 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11066440)
what you trying to hide?

He's just maybe not stuck on the idea his boss is tracking him outside of work, invasion of privacy? If it's your own iPad remove the app, if it's your works iPad leave it at work at the end of the day.

Basically it's none of your bosses business WTF you do outside of work.

I hate these type of fcukers and stories similar to this seem to be getting more common.

Dr Hu 22 April 2013 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo Tone (Post 11066420)
Was the I pad issued to you by your work or is it a personal I pad?

This is the main Q at the moment....

Matteeboy 22 April 2013 10:02 AM

I had a very paranoid boss a while back. Despite scoring loads of business they'd failed to get before I joined, it ended messily. If someone can't trust their staff (within reason) they shouldn't manage people.

Tidgy 22 April 2013 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 11066444)
He's just maybe not stuck on the idea his boss is tracking him outside of work, invasion of privacy? If it's your own iPad remove the app, if it's your works iPad leave it at work at the end of the day.

Basically it's none of your bosses business WTF you do outside of work.

I hate these type of fcukers and stories similar to this seem to be getting more common.

i dont mean outside of work chap

vallumlj 22 April 2013 10:20 AM

Works I pad it meant to be incase one got stolen they can find it.

The real reason is he can follow us all day.

vallumlj 22 April 2013 10:20 AM

Nothing to hide but he should trust us. It's just annoying

Ash170990 22 April 2013 10:25 AM

If its works ipad, he can do what he likes with it... but if your doing your job as you should, you shouldnt have a problem with him tracking you ;)

RA Dunk 22 April 2013 10:28 AM

Legally I don't know, it's still an invasion of privacy technically

legb4rsk 22 April 2013 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by vallumlj (Post 11066513)
Works I pad it meant to be incase one got stolen they can find it.

The real reason is he can follow us all day.

Just tell him you will pay for it if it gets stolen.If it's a works tablet is it insured by the company?

Big Brother & Skynet were meant to be fiction.

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 22 April 2013 10:41 AM

Don't see how it's any different than having GPS tracking systems for works vehicles.

urban 22 April 2013 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 11066544)
Don't see how it's any different than having GPS tracking systems for works vehicles.

Nor do I.
If the employee has nothing to hide, then he need not worry or be concerned.

SJ_Skyline 22 April 2013 10:53 AM

Company device, company policy.

Beef 22 April 2013 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 11066527)
Legally I don't know, it's still an invasion of privacy technically

No it's not. It's company property and they're allowed to do what the hell they like with it in connection with the business, including tracking it's location. In company time this extends, and reasonably so, to verifying the location of staff members, especially if they're in the field.

Just because you have been issued with an ipad for work does not mean it's your toy to do with what you wish, much as a work issued laptop wouldn't be. If their tracking bothers you outside of work hours, turn it off (properly), leave it on a shelf and purchase your own for personal use.

Neanderthal 22 April 2013 11:03 AM

Get a lead box, even superman can't 'get a signal' through that.
So when you're off having your 2 hour lunches, chuck it in the box in the boot... "sorry boss, it was on, must have been in a poor signal area"

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 22 April 2013 11:26 AM

Or you could, y'know, do your job.

SirFozzalot 22 April 2013 11:33 AM

Some companies are employing this technology to help with managing "lone working" policies and procedures. This way they can argue that they know where all their staff are during the working day when they are out and about.

It's a bit weird to think your boss can see where you are at any given moment but you soon forget about it and if you aren't breaking any rules and doing your job and you are where you say you are then it shouldn't be a problem.

Most company vehicles have trackers fitted now and the drivers didn't like it at first but it's the norm in a lot of industries now.

urban 22 April 2013 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 11066588)
Or you could, y'know, do your job.

How true

I've got to laugh at how many people moan and complain about working.
Plenty of other people would happily do the job.

Ash170990 22 April 2013 11:53 AM

we have trackers on our work phones, has never bothered me as i have nothing to hide... Plus it means i can prove how much overtime i do haha

shooter007 22 April 2013 12:06 PM

And your boss can always use the good old it's for health and safety reasons ploy.

SJ_Skyline 22 April 2013 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ash170990 (Post 11066607)
we have trackers on our work phones, has never bothered me as i have nothing to hide... Plus it means i can prove how much overtime i do haha

Quite - Only then I get beaten up over a £600 phone bill... :rolleyes:

Torquemada 22 April 2013 12:11 PM

Can't see the problem if it's their device to be honest.
I could understand you being miffed if it was your own device but now, with byod, I suppose even then employers may have a right to add some security software to your device (maybe not not tracking) if it's active on the work network etc.

DYK 22 April 2013 12:17 PM

Wouldn't it be nice to go back to the days when mobile phones and trackers didn't exist....

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 22 April 2013 12:23 PM

No mobiles, no gps tracking, no twitter or facebook... heaven!

Tidgy 22 April 2013 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 11066635)

thats sooooo 1990's!!!!

ScoobyWon't 22 April 2013 12:31 PM

I expect ipad users are all being tracked by apple anyway.

Isn't there a better app for locating stolen Ipads which is only activated when one is stolen? Suggest that as a better alternative.

Infected by sti 22 April 2013 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 11066635)

That's Effin spot on pal :thumb: I must admit tho if I leave my mobile anywhere or forget to take it with me, it feels like I've lost an arm ( heavily used with work etc ) but its so nice to have a bit of piece, its hard to imagine our lives these days without the "must have" goodies, if it wasn't for what I know now (and I probably rely on it more than I should) would happily change back to the early days, but if given the choice now how many of us would take that option? I bet it wouldn't be many in today's technology culture :Suspiciou