ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Excel help (please) (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/972098-excel-help-please.html)

David Lock 16 April 2013 07:27 PM

Excel help (please)

I'm not very good at Excel as will be apparent :)

I have a column of net prices for a range of products but these have increased by 10% so I want new columns showing new price, VAT and gross price.

OK so I can get a column multiplying original prices by 1.1% which is new net price. But when I try and multiply this new column by 0.2% Excel won't give me new figures as it has become a "Circular Reference" i.e. trying to recalculate on a column that is already subject to a formula change.

So what do I do?

Cheers David

PS. I did try Excel HELP but retired hurt...

Cpt Jack Sparrow 16 April 2013 08:00 PM

my take would be

in cell a1 3.50

in cell b1 formula =A1*1.1

in cell c1 formula =B1+(B1*0.2)

that gives you £3.50 increased to £3.85 grossed up to £4.62

is that what you are after?

Paul

David Lock 16 April 2013 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt Jack Sparrow (Post 11060797)
my take would be

in cell a1 3.50

in cell b1 formula =A1*1.1

in cell c1 formula =B1+(B1*0.2)

that gives you £3.50 increased to £3.85 grossed up to £4.62

is that what you are after?

Paul

Cheers Paul,

But I do need a separate column to show VAT amount on its own, next to first column with increased base prices.

I'll have another crack tomorrow.

David

urban 17 April 2013 10:36 AM

Well David

Either do Pauls suggestion and subtract b1 from c1, or in a cell of your choice do, (b1 *.2)

David Lock 17 April 2013 10:50 AM

Thanks chaps. Well I now have columns with old net price A, new net price B, VAT C and gross price D.

So I now want to delete my old first column A which shows the old net price, before prices went up.

But since I used this old column as basis for calculating new prices then if I delete this column then it vapes all the other prices in B, C, D and I end up with columns full of zeros.

I am trying...

David

john banks 17 April 2013 11:22 AM

You could just hide the unwanted column.

Or you could copy the results or save them in a csv and repaste them if you want to obliterate the original data.

You can sit down now :) Think of my predicament.

urban 17 April 2013 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 11061349)
Thanks chaps. Well I now have columns with old net price A, new net price B, VAT C and gross price D.

So I now want to delete my old first column A which shows the old net price, before prices went up.

But since I used this old column as basis for calculating new prices then if I delete this column then it vapes all the other prices in B, C, D and I end up with columns full of zeros.

I am trying...

David

CTRL A - select all
Right click and choose paste special - pick values.
Then delete whatever you want :)

David Lock 17 April 2013 12:20 PM

What a helpful bunch you are :thumb:

Off for a sit down :)

David

GeeDee 17 April 2013 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 11061402)
You could just hide the unwanted column.

Or you could copy the results or save them in a csv and repaste them if you want to obliterate the original data.

You can sit down now :) Think of my predicament.

Not sure of the relevance of a CSV.

I've sent an email with an example of how I think it should be set up.

GeeDee 17 April 2013 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by gdavey (Post 11061739)
Not sure of the relevance of a CSV.

Now I think I know what you are trying to do!!:cuckoo:

Copy the original calculations and then paste them as values. This converts the original formulae to their calculated numbers without the need with phaffing around with different file formats.:D