ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Woo woo noise from rear (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/971865-woo-woo-noise-from-rear.html)

Sti Addict 14 April 2013 05:07 PM

Woo woo noise from rear

I wasnt sure which section to put this in, so mods please move if its not appropriate here.

Anyway, I have a 06 blob sti, but there is a strange wooo wooo type noise at the rear.

I had the car up on a ramp at a garage, car was driven on the ramp with the wheels in the air, but no noise:brickwall.

The noise usaully happens when slowing down to a crawl for a junction, or reversing out of the drive.

I had the garage check for wheel bearings, they did the rocking the wheels back and forth but this showed nothing.

I really hope its not the diff. Have any members experienced a similar occurance?

Thanks

raz6589 14 April 2013 05:16 PM

Woo Woo noise ? Ambulance driving past ? lol

Dave

Sti Addict 14 April 2013 05:20 PM

lol, is that not nee naw nee naw :lol1:

The Pink Ninja 14 April 2013 05:29 PM

Not just tyre noise?

LouisB 14 April 2013 05:45 PM

Might be tyres. I've had similar. Try switching front to back?

Sti Addict 14 April 2013 05:48 PM

Thats a good idea, I will try swapping the wheels over, it sounds similar to somebody blowing into a bottle, much louder at low speed (under 10 mph), then becomes less apparent at higher speeds.

raz6589 14 April 2013 06:02 PM

Rear brakes? Warped discs, a pad sticking, handbrake shoes catching ?

Dave

Sti Addict 14 April 2013 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by raz6589 (Post 11058587)
Rear brakes? Warped discs, a pad sticking, handbrake shoes catching ?

Dave

I took the calipers off and the pistons do move back when pushed by hand, but the brake shoes is something I didnt check.

raz6589 14 April 2013 06:20 PM

Have you changed wheels/tyres? Rubbing on arch or struts?

Dave

scooberuni 15 April 2013 01:47 AM

Even though you've been to a garage to get it checked, I bet it still is the wheel bearings you know. I've had it on all 4 of the Impreza's I've owned at some point.
The noise sounds like a whiring noise, like maybe a washer going round but obviously not as loud. It starts at about 30mph and gets quicker the faster you go, so you probably wouldn't hear it if you were just driving it onto a ramp. Also the car is 4 wheel drive so what good would rocking the wheels back and forth do, unless you did each side of the car at the same time or something. If you leave it too long as well, it could knacker the hubs. Which is what happened to me once because I left the repair too long.

Carlh 15 April 2013 07:22 AM

police trying to pull you over lol

Sti Addict 15 April 2013 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by scooberuni (Post 11059169)
Even though you've been to a garage to get it checked, I bet it still is the wheel bearings you know. I've had it on all 4 of the Impreza's I've owned at some point.
The noise sounds like a whiring noise, like maybe a washer going round but obviously not as loud. It starts at about 30mph and gets quicker the faster you go, so you probably wouldn't hear it if you were just driving it onto a ramp. Also the car is 4 wheel drive so what good would rocking the wheels back and forth do, unless you did each side of the car at the same time or something. If you leave it too long as well, it could knacker the hubs. Which is what happened to me once because I left the repair too long.

To be honest my instincts are telling me its a bearing. Is there another way to isolate which bearing it actually is if rocking the wheels does not work on a four wheel drive?