ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   Basics on remapping please? (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/971748-basics-on-remapping-please.html)

Sub-Subaru 13 April 2013 03:31 PM

Basics on remapping please?

I have a 2004 WRX Impreza that is currently standard. I am interested in getting a bit more power out of it especially as I drove a 2005 WRX with a PPP and really liked the power out of that.

I don't really know much about remapping and the consequences so just wondered if anyone could provide me a link to some posts explaining the basics or answer some question for me.

Is all remapping the same despite who you use?
Does it matter who you use?
Approximate cost?
Does it ever give better fuel economy when you are not thrashing it?
Does it reduce the reliability and life of the engine?
What other mods would I need to do in order to remap it to about 275-280 bhp?
Does the mods need to be done first to tune the engine to the mods?

thanks

Tidgy 13 April 2013 03:56 PM

shall answer in order lol

1> no, different siftware, different mappers etc etc
2> Yes, experiance is way way way more important than software
3> £350+ for open source, 550+ for ecutek
4> yep, fuel economy will be better off boost
5> no, custom map will be better for the engine because its set up for the engine specifics (takes into acount manufacturing tollerance etc)
6> prob find you strugle on the standard tubo, so then its big bill for turbo, injectors etc etc
7> mods then map, or can tweek the map as mods get added later (at extra cost of course)

hope that helps :)

mjharper 13 April 2013 04:05 PM

I have a WRX 2007 Hawk-Eye - so a remap would have no added risk of head gasket going if it was done properly?

Sub-Subaru 13 April 2013 04:34 PM

thanks for the replies.

What is the difference between open source and ecutek?

If I would need a bigger turbo for 275-280 what could I map it to bhp wise on the standard turbo?

Tidgy 13 April 2013 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by mjharper (Post 11057426)
I have a WRX 2007 Hawk-Eye - so a remap would have no added risk of head gasket going if it was done properly?

i think they have been failing mapped and unmapped tbh, not entirley sure if it increases the risk or not

Tidgy 13 April 2013 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sub-Subaru (Post 11057463)
thanks for the replies.

What is the difference between open source and ecutek?

If I would need a bigger turbo for 275-280 what could I map it to bhp wise on the standard turbo?

there different mapping software basicly. Open source origionated as a ripped off ecutek software comming from america.

With ecutek you have to pay a one off license fee, open source you dont. Open source mappers can just download it off the internet and map away, ecutek limits who has the software and support the mappers who use it.

prob roughly mid 260's ish, give or take though

DannyM 13 April 2013 04:56 PM

I made 275bhp on my standard TD04. That was with just decat/panel filter/fuel pump

My daily drive to work also went from 22mpg to around 27-28mpg. This will drop drastically if you boot it everywhere though.

romford-boy 13 April 2013 09:03 PM

What's the impact on mpg when driving on motorways where the car will be on boost for long periods of time?

DannyM 13 April 2013 11:40 PM

I went from the Teesside to Silverstone(and back) last year and easily got over 300 miles out of a tank driving at outside lane speeds.

mickywrx 14 April 2013 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by romford-boy (Post 11057785)
What's the impact on mpg when driving on motorways where the car will be on boost for long periods of time?

:wonder: Spend more time off boost on a motorway.

romford-boy 14 April 2013 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 11058191)
:wonder: Spend more time off boost on a motorway.

Why would I have a performance car and sit in the inside lane at 55mph?

Turbotits 15 April 2013 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by romford-boy (Post 11058960)

when cruising at 70,80,90 or even 120mph no boost is being used. If you accelerate then yes the turbo soon spools up. Boost isnt relative to speed.

Remapped cars generally do better mpg

Cpt Jack Sparrow 15 April 2013 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by romford-boy (Post 11058960)

That's some driving style if you are on boost all the time on a motorway:wonder:

I drive most of my daily mileage on motorway and dual carriageway within the speed limits and being on boost is very rare.

Paul

romford-boy 15 April 2013 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Turbotits (Post 11059678)
when cruising at 70,80,90 or even 120mph no boost is being used. If you accelerate then yes the turbo soon spools up. Boost isnt relative to speed.

Remapped cars generally do better mpg

I had assumed that boost was related to revs and therefore speed, so if I cruise at 4,000 rpm = 100 mph (which I will often do, especially when I'm crossing Europe on holiday) that I would be on boost the whole time.

Cpt Jack Sparrow 17 April 2013 12:14 AM

Fit a boost gauge that will show you exactly when boost is kicking in.:thumb:

Paul