ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Car Care (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/)
-   -   Using white spirit as a paint work cleanser (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/971715-using-white-spirit-as-a-paint-work-cleanser.html)

SRSport 13 April 2013 09:09 AM

Using white spirit as a paint work cleanser

Is there anything wrong with doing this? I have used white spirit on bird poo to far greater affect than when using the proper car stuff (tar/bug remover) at much higher prices. I have also used it for surface preping before painting but its not widely regarded as a products for this use which confuses me as to its suitability.

JDM_Stig 13 April 2013 09:11 AM

perfect for a de tar,
as long as you protect the paint after you will be fine

fpan 13 April 2013 09:42 AM

Doesn't it destroy the varnish and make the paint matt? I wouldn't use it.

stonejedi 13 April 2013 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by fpan (Post 11057122)
Doesn't it destroy the varnish and make the paint matt? I wouldn't use it.

I know people that use it when they are stuck,but i wouldnt.There are plenty of car products which are designed to do the job without fear of it taken away your paint or some clear coat along with the bird poop.SJ.

ST-X 14 April 2013 10:26 AM

Many of the hugely expensive de-tarring chemicals are simply white spirit with emulsifiers added to make washing off a little easier. It won't damage your paintwork, and for the 98% price saving, I'll stick to the 5l jug of white spirit for de-tarring.

stonejedi 14 April 2013 10:45 AM

Are you a detailer?because I am and i get my knowledge from experience washing up liquid would wash a car and is cheaper then any car shampoo you can possibly think of so why dont detailers use it all the time for a car wash?it's exactly the same reason they dont use White spirit to detar cars.I'm not saying it won't work,but if I need a screw putting in I don't reach for the hammer if you get my drift;)SJ.

SRSport 14 April 2013 02:14 PM

I still don't know why they don't use it. Using an irrelevant comparison alongside the white spirit one doesn't explain why you shouldn't use it.

Just to report, a weak later the area I used white spirit on is no different to the areas around it. White spirit isn't a stripper so I cant see why it should have any negative effects. Im trying to get through habit and marketing bumph to get the bottom of whether it can be used effectively. At the moment I don't see why detarring products many times its price cannot be replaced by white spirit and would liken it more to using a power screwdriver instead of a manual one, rather than a hammer.

stonejedi 14 April 2013 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by SRSport (Post 11058345)
I still don't know why they don't use it. Using an irrelevant comparison alongside the white spirit one doesn't explain why you shouldn't use it.

Just to report, a weak later the area I used white spirit on is no different to the areas around it. White spirit isn't a stripper so I cant see why it should have any negative effects. Im trying to get through habit and marketing bumph to get the bottom of whether it can be used effectively. At the moment I don't see why detarring products many times its price cannot be replaced by white spirit.

My friend you can use what ever you like it's your car if your happy with the results and 100% sure it's not damaging your finish carry on:).SJ.