ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Coolant Leak (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/971278-coolant-leak.html)

CBetts 08 April 2013 10:59 PM

Coolant Leak

Hi guys,

Fitted a new radiator and silicone hoses today because of a coolant leak, I thought it was the radiator causing the leak. However it's still leaking! looks to be coming from where the bottom radiator hose joins to the thermostat housing. Im new to subaru's and only had this one for a month, if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated

Many thanks
Craig.

360ste 08 April 2013 11:11 PM

Gasket on thermostat housing gone. The gasket is a on the edge of the thermostat so a good time to fit a cooler running thermostat.

CBetts 08 April 2013 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by 360ste (Post 11052779)
Gasket on thermostat housing gone. The gasket is a on the edge of the thermostat so a good time to fit a cooler running thermostat.

Cheers mate, it's running ok and the temp gauge is showing a normal reading but it only leaks when the engine is up to temperature, could it be a water pump issue?

blackvenom 09 April 2013 10:02 AM

Where have you noticed your leak? I have a small leak behind my drivers head light. I get spray on the bonet, airbox, and inner wing. Just a few drops, Only does it when the car is on full boost. My rad looks fine. So do the pipes. I have tried reving the car on boost (while hot) and nothing. I don't really want to replace everything. The amount is minimal but I would like to get it sorted

JDM_Stig 09 April 2013 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by blackvenom (Post 11052999)
Where have you noticed your leak? I have a small leak behind my drivers head light. I get spray on the bonet, airbox, and inner wing. Just a few drops, Only does it when the car is on full boost. My rad looks fine. So do the pipes. I have tried reving the car on boost (while hot) and nothing. I don't really want to replace everything. The amount is minimal but I would like to get it sorted

yours is the small pipe cracked on the top left( looking from front)
New rad will sort this.

CBetts 09 April 2013 02:31 PM

Mine is leaking from bottom radiator hose, where it connects to the engine. The top radiator hose gets warm and the bottom hose is cold to touch, I know the hose is ok because it's new and so are the hose clips.

Is it worth changing the thermostat and gasket? Or does this look like a bigger problem?

CBetts 09 April 2013 07:37 PM

Also the last batch of coolant I got from Subaru was labelled in a ford bottle? They said this is what they now use, green/yellow ish in colour

JDM_Stig 09 April 2013 08:13 PM

looks like ford is safe, they use OAT which is what you want for a Subaru,
hope this helps.
http://www.automotivedesign.eu.com/a...dwide-use.aspx

CBetts 11 April 2013 09:33 PM

No change after fitting a new thermostat, still leaking. Im thinking the worst now as possible head gasket faliure

alcazar 12 April 2013 12:55 PM

Could it be from the crossover pipe at the front base of the engine?

eggy 12 April 2013 06:08 PM

leak

hi mate, mine was doing the same, there is a small hole at the back of the water pump, its up behind the timming belt covers and hard to see, mine was leaking there, and it (water) runs down towards thermostat housing. i have been told its the pump thats fecked, fitting a new one today . that could be your problem...cheers

CBetts 12 April 2013 07:09 PM

Thanks for your help guys, needs further investigation

CBetts 28 April 2013 05:21 PM

Still struggling with this guys, Took the car for a blast yesterday with plenty of boost. Came back home and no leaking, completely dry. Went on a short drive to the shop earlier nice and steady, no boost and came back and it's leaking again. the puddle of coolant forms under the front passenger side. Im very confused, any help is very much appreciated

blackvenom 28 April 2013 05:41 PM

Sure it's the coolent? Level in the header tank decreasing?

CBetts 28 April 2013 05:45 PM

Yeah 100% coolant

Header tank level goes down, and expansion tank level does the same