ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Swift Sport or Fabia VRS (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/971265-swift-sport-or-fabia-vrs.html)

robby 08 April 2013 09:42 PM

Swift Sport or Fabia VRS

I've been looking for a Fabia VRS (mk2 tsi) for a couple of weeks as for around £10k they look a good buy.
I looked at 1 at the weekend but due to it having a lot of paint i walked away (140 mile round trip wasted) and didn't even drive it :(

Looking online tonight i stumbled upon the 2012my Suzuki Swift Sport - what a nice looking car - not fast but nippy, good standard spec and cheap to run.

I'm now in a dilema - which to choose?

Fabia plus points:
quick (for a standard small hatch)
practical (4 doors)
cheap to run

minus points:
looks weird
dsg only

Swift plus points:
nippy (quick enough for me)
looks good
cheap to run
lots of standard fit extras

minus points:
depreciation (will it lose a lot in 4-6 months)
build quality (japanese)

bustaMOVEs 08 April 2013 09:45 PM

Swift as the vrs can be problematic. And the swift have an excellent chassis=fun

riiidaa 08 April 2013 09:45 PM

My mate has a 3.2 A3 S-line, DSG. He opted for DSG due to it being faster than the manual.

robby 08 April 2013 10:36 PM

I've heard about the VRS having issues with oil useage and pistons but it'll be under warranty for another year - Skoda are now replacing engines (or at least bottom ends) under warranty.
Everyone seems to rate the dsg saying they prefer it to a manual - guess it'll be ok once i've got used to it?

Swift looks the sportier car, as mentioned the standard spec is a lot better - cruise, parking sensors, climate, keyless, bluetooth, etc - these are around £500 - £1k more than the VRS although a year newer

lordharding 08 April 2013 11:02 PM

Swift sport
Boy has one now after the 350z
Awesome bit of kit 45 mpg and is rapid
Handleing rock hard
Very sporty ride
Impressed with build quality
Check out. Briskoda as there seems to be engine issues with the vrs at the moment
Old one diesel was a cracker though

bustaMOVEs 08 April 2013 11:46 PM

Dsg is just a double clutch and has the next gear ready before change like an f1 car and there's no delay in changing unlike the usual paddle shifts, good quick gear change for racing and better 0-60 times as there's no delay, but otherwise you'd be driving it in auto tbh. And more to go wrong.
Just to give you an idea, not great for daily driving, as auto will be used and occasional paddle, I've driven a dsg and tbh I couldn't use it all the time but good for spirited drive

Matteeboy 09 April 2013 07:14 AM

Definitely the Swift; I was impressed with the loaner one we had. Less so with the vRS I tested.

zip106 09 April 2013 07:43 AM

Mate had a Swift Sport for 3 years and didn't cost him a bean in repairs - utterly reliable and a great little car.

Not too many around either.
He put his up for sale and sold it within two days, a lot of people were after it and it almost descended into a bidding war!

MOTORS S GT 09 April 2013 08:03 AM

Daughter has a 09 Swift Sport, cheap to service, never had any issues, very good handling, bit noisy at motorway speeds due to fairly low gearing, we searched for ages to get one without the stripes, although they come off, if they have been on from new you can see where they have been, especially on red cars.

The Trooper 1815 09 April 2013 10:19 AM

The Ex as a Swift and it's been utterly reliable for the three years she's had it.

adamb87 09 April 2013 11:02 AM

i had an ibiza cupra tsi ( same as vrs fabia ) and its a cracking engine and coupled with the dsg it is surprisingly fun. as has been mentioned vw have had some major trouble with oil usage, misfiring and blown engines. they do now have a renewed engine with uprated components so do a bit of ressarch on this. Think the engine code beginning with CAVE is the troubled one. On the other hand my best mate had a swift sport and in 6 years the only thing that went wrong was the esp module ( 1000 quid repair) so chopped it in for an occy vrs. Me personally it would be the swift as i hate the look of the fabias.

Bikerboygreen 09 April 2013 12:16 PM

The wife is on her second Swift Sport - great little cars and a lot of fun to drive. :thumb:

stilover 09 April 2013 12:53 PM

I like the Swift Sport. Get that !

robby 09 April 2013 05:53 PM

Hmm - looks like everone prefers the Swift :)
Had a quick look round another VRS today and even though dealer told me last week it was "mint" in the 30sec walkaround i noticed = 3 kerbed alloys (the polished ones so can't touch them up), bonnet and n/s/f wing had such a big gap you could see the bolt heads on top of the wing and a big chip in the middle of the bonnet :(

Supposed to be looking at another VRS this saturday so i'll get a proper drive and decide if i like the dsg or hate it

Looking at Swifts last night - dealers are wanting almost new car prices for used cars?

adamb87 09 April 2013 06:15 PM

you will love the dsg me thinks.........

SRSport 09 April 2013 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by adamb87 (Post 11053052)
i had an ibiza cupra tsi ( same as vrs fabia ) and its a cracking engine and coupled with the dsg it is surprisingly fun. as has been mentioned vw have had some major trouble with oil usage, misfiring and blown engines. they do now have a renewed engine with uprated components so do a bit of ressarch on this. Think the engine code beginning with CAVE is the troubled one.

Isnt the Cupra a 2.0 with 240bhp which is 60 odd more than the VRS, which I thought was a 1.4.
The Cupra R is the same as the S3 (260bhp) - definitely not a 1.4!

jpor 10 April 2013 10:05 AM

Fifth Gear over on Discovery Channel a couple of weeks ago did a vs test between a Swift Sport and a Renault Twingo 133. The Swift came out tops. :)

robby 10 April 2013 05:53 PM

Well managed to work some figures out with a Suzuki dealer today on a 1 year old sport with 6000 miles in blue.
My 59 plate Clio 200 (every option except Recaros), 28000 miles, mint + £3k :(

Getting prices on the Clio from many dealers last month i was offered £7700 - £8000, this month it's gone down to £7300 - £7600

Gonna think about it tonight but i think i'll be picking the Swift up this weekend (540 mile round trip) - more i think about the VRS and the problems, the funny looks and the gearbox the more i decide against it

:)

stilover 10 April 2013 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by robby (Post 11054439)
Well managed to work some figures out with a Suzuki dealer today on a 1 year old sport with 6000 miles in blue.
My 59 plate Clio 200 (every option except Recaros), 28000 miles, mint + £3k :(

Getting prices on the Clio from many dealers last month i was offered £7700 - £8000, this month it's gone down to £7300 - £7600

Gonna think about it tonight but i think i'll be picking the Swift up this weekend (540 mile round trip) - more i think about the VRS and the problems, the funny looks and the gearbox the more i decide against it

:)

Remember to post some pics up when you get it. Right choice IMHO. :thumb:

DBDB5 10 April 2013 07:45 PM

Definitely the Swift . Wife has had hers 2years now faultless car. Not the quickest but great fun on them country great drivers car

adamb87 10 April 2013 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by SRSport (Post 11053728)
Isnt the Cupra a 2.0 with 240bhp which is 60 odd more than the VRS, which I thought was a 1.4.
The Cupra R is the same as the S3 (260bhp) - definitely not a 1.4!

on about the ibiza cupra, not the leon cupra. Ibiza cupra is the same 1.4tsi engine and 7speed dsg as the fabia vrs and polo gti.

robby 10 April 2013 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 11054519)
Remember to post some pics up when you get it. Right choice IMHO. :thumb:

Dealer pics (car not cleaned)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...psad90aa47.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...psf6e80a93.jpg

SRSport 10 April 2013 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by adamb87 (Post 11054693)
on about the ibiza cupra, not the leon cupra. Ibiza cupra is the same 1.4tsi engine and 7speed dsg as the fabia vrs and polo gti.

Sorry, my mistake.

Matteeboy 10 April 2013 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by robby (Post 11054705)

Nice one; that will serve you well!

robby 10 April 2013 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11054795)
Nice one; that will serve you well!

Hope so - it's way over my initial budget :(
7000 miles, less than a year old so still has 2 years+ warranty, cheap tax, cheap insurance and more mpg than the Clio - has to be done :)

64th car so far - might find the right 1 one day?

stilover 11 April 2013 12:59 PM

While maybe the Twingo 133 may handle slightly better, I think the combo of good handling and a decent looking interior give the Swift Sport the edge as a daily driver.

That interior looks good for a small hatchback.

robby 11 April 2013 06:31 PM

Should be adequate for me handling wise as i only commute so don't need a track focused car - prefer something more comfy these days :)

Interior does look nice (some hard plastics) and the standard spec is way better than any of its rivals - climate, bluetooth, mp3 input (never used an mp3), cruise, keyless entry, keyless ignition, push button starter, HIDs, electric folding mirrors, rear privacy glass, etc,etc
Only thing missing is sat-nav (optional extra though) - most of these things are options on other hot hatches

Just swapped insurance over today ready for sunday - cost an extra £9 from the Clio 200 :(

Matteeboy 11 April 2013 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by robby (Post 11054798)
Hope so - it's way over my initial budget :(
7000 miles, less than a year old so still has 2 years+ warranty, cheap tax, cheap insurance and more mpg than the Clio - has to be done :)

64th car so far - might find the right 1 one day?

My impression was; this is a Clio but properly screwed together. Just like a mk3 MR2 is an Elise that doesn't fall to bits.

robby 11 April 2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11055449)
My impression was; this is a Clio but properly screwed together. Just like a mk3 MR2 is an Elise that doesn't fall to bits.

Japanese reliability thrown in (i hope) :)

robby 14 April 2013 06:50 PM

Well picked the swift up today after a 540 mile round trip 8.5 hours

driving Clio on CC at 70mph i was averaging 27mpg, on the return trip the Swift was doing more mph :) and averaging 49-50mpg

First impressions of the swift (230miles motorway, 10 miles A road) -
steering light,
clutch very light,
no rattles,
great mpg,
nippy enough (50-70 in 6th is quicker than i thought it'd be - great for motorways), quiet cabin (some road noise from the Contis).

Dislikes (so far)
stereo sound quality is a bit poor
button for switching display from mpg - trip - etc is push button on clocks not on end of stalk
parcel shelf doesn't lift up with tailgate
boot light pathetic (just fitted led which isn't much better due to position of light)
mirror casings are HUGE - mirror glass is small?
mirror switch is tacky (cheap and fiddly)

All in all for a first drive i am impressed - great specced car for the price, feels nicer to drive than a lot of other small hatches i've had :)