ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What gadget is waiting to be invented/ developed? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/970429-what-gadget-is-waiting-to-be-invented-developed.html)

paulr 31 March 2013 04:43 PM

What gadget is waiting to be invented/ developed?

To me, its a customisable, touchscreen remote control. About the size of an iphone, but from your pc you can customise the screen. I'd have a home page with tv, music, films icons. Tap the tv icon and its straight to your favourites. Tap the music icon and its play, stop and mute.

Etc,etc. No more unecesarry buttons, no more remotes where 70% of the buttons are for setting the dam thing up, then never used again.

Three hard buttons along the side, volume up and down, and mute.

I wish.........................

LSherratt 31 March 2013 04:52 PM

Logitech Harmony remote.

Jamz3k 31 March 2013 04:58 PM

I had one of those about 8years ago.

brendy76 31 March 2013 05:24 PM

Errr so really a time machine for paulr then :D

dpb 31 March 2013 07:54 PM

Brains free of computers.?

stevebt 31 March 2013 08:03 PM

A tablet that gets you high but is legal, that would be a mega high money earner!

DARB 31 March 2013 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11043299)
A tablet that gets you high but is legal, that would be a mega high money earner!

iPad :lol1:

RobsyUK 31 March 2013 09:35 PM

A jelly tv you can erm. You know... Sexy time ;)

A card that does everything. Photo ID, passport, bank card. Finger and eye details so only you can use it.

A barcode tattoo on your arm to replace above card.

bigredrob 31 March 2013 09:51 PM

A small box, the size of a cigarette packet, into which you drip water, and get oxygen and hydrogen out , and is powered by a AAA battery.

Tidgy 31 March 2013 09:55 PM

Don't worry, apple will make an I version of what ever it is and claim they invented it lol

Dr Hu 31 March 2013 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by paulr (Post 11043032)
To me, its a customisable, touchscreen remote control. About the size of an iphone, but from your pc you can customise the screen. I'd have a home page with tv, music, films icons. Tap the tv icon and its straight to your favourites. Tap the music icon and its play, stop and mute.

Etc,etc. No more unecesarry buttons, no more remotes where 70% of the buttons are for setting the dam thing up, then never used again.

You've pretty much exactly described the Logitech Harmony Touch.... I have one, it's pretty good...

The Trooper 1815 31 March 2013 11:04 PM

An understanding and logical woman.

Moz_Rb5 31 March 2013 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11043563)
An understanding and logical woman.

Invention mate not a miracle :thumb:

cjquicksilver 31 March 2013 11:30 PM

Self charging moble using + - magnets to spin a small dynamo inside the phone to trickle charge constantly so u would have to only charge ur phone once a month if that!

boxst 31 March 2013 11:35 PM

Although it didn't work for me ...

http://www.i-doser.com

The Trooper 1815 31 March 2013 11:39 PM

Solar panel built into a mobile/tablet/windscreen to trickle charge.

Markus 01 April 2013 12:56 AM

On the remote side of things, you could look at Griffin's Beacon. It's hardware and software. The hardware is, I think, a bluetooth to IR convertor type thing. The software is, obviously what runs on your device and gives you control over your devices, plus show listings and other things I think.

Fat Boy 01 April 2013 07:03 AM

A button on your dashboard that instantly moves Darby and Joan/ mr flatcap / people (Bmw/rover drivers) who don't use their mirrors from the lane they are in to the completely empty lane inside them on the motorway / dual carriageway and gives them a £500 fine at the same time.

A vaporising deathray for all chavved up stickered scoobies? :)

AndyC_772 01 April 2013 10:18 AM

Philips Pronto... sadly now discontinued, but you can get them on Ebay. Look for model TSU9400 or the slightly larger TSU9600.

mart360 01 April 2013 11:08 AM

An Interociter

Mart :)

ALi-B 01 April 2013 11:29 AM

If you want to be really nerdy: Then for me its a minimum of 1600 lines (2560x1600 WQXGA ) in a 24" to 26" LCD monitor with a IPS panel, matrix lit LED backlights with local dimming that can be driven at over 120hz with a response rate to match. With at least 8bit colour.

Or better still 2880x1800.

At this point of writing, No such monitor exists.

Not nerdy enough? OK try this; Diversity aerial support for aftermarket car radios (and DAB support), at this point there aren't that work with Diversity systems...you have to use adapters which are all rubbish and never work properly as they just make the system into a single aerial system, and the factory aerials aren't designed to work in that manner, so reception is rubbish (I've had to replace and re-wire the entire aerial system in my Golf as the original diversity roof and rear glass aerial just simply wouldn't play ball).

Oh yes and a LCD or Plasma TV with decent built in audio. Or at least an attempt to make it decent (they don't even bother now).

OK I have a A/V system for the living room, but seriously I'm seriously investigating on getting a sound bar for the 20" kitchen TV, as its so tinny I simply can't hear it; its like listening to music on a speakerphone (for me that's like scraping fingernails down a blackboard).

Its annoying as it is possible and worse still, its been done in the past...I have a 10year old Hitachi Plasma in the bedroom. Its picture quality is awful (early 6 bit panel). However despite its poor picture one thing that makes it shine is it has half decent audio quality....the speakers are housed in bass-reflex enclosures with dampening material and ported to improve lower frequency response, the drivers themselves are 12"x3" elliptical cones which gives the biggest cone area whilst still remaining narrow, the speakers are forward facing so the listener gets proper stereo imaging and if that's not enough it has a sub woofer output, so a active sub can be plugged in without the need for a A/V receiver. It also has quite a punchy amplifier built in...a Tripath TA2021, a more powerful version of the iconic TA2020 which was one of the first decent class-D amplifiers.

Whereas in £1500 worth of Panasonic gets you three pathetic 3" speakers facing rear and downwards and bolted to the frame behind the rear cover without any form of enclosure. Both sides of the speakers are fully vented in a dipole arrangement (if you can even call it a dipole). But its not a proper dipole speaker as the entire rear of the TV has ventilation holes so there is pretty much zero separation between the front and rear of the speakers. So all the sound waves created by the rear of the speaker is cancelled out by the front....the result is tinny audio. Which pretty much every flat panel TV suffers from. Small speaker don't have to be tinny, all they need is simple shaped enclosures around the speakers (Bose's waveguide is a credit to this), this would massively improve their sound reproduction....what would that cost?...probably a extra £10 in plastics and manufacture, if that! :mad:

As you can guess...I'm a little anal on speaker enclosure design. :o But its actually a pretty simple science, easily within the grasp of any TV manufacturer.

Luan Pra bang 01 April 2013 11:54 AM

I am not sure if you are joking or not ?

*BADGER* 01 April 2013 12:23 PM

Smooth roads

ALi-B 01 April 2013 01:03 PM

Non-alcoholic beer that tastes ok. :lol1:

tubbytommy 01 April 2013 01:07 PM

the dump valve search function for newbies on scoobynet.

ALi-B 01 April 2013 01:09 PM

Horse meat detector. :lol1:

*BADGER* 01 April 2013 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11044056)
the dump valve search function for newbies on scoobynet.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...tumbleweed.jpg

paulr 01 April 2013 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11043902)
If you want to be really nerdy: Then for me its a minimum of 1600 lines (2560x1600 WQXGA ) in a 24" to 26" LCD monitor with a IPS panel, matrix lit LED backlights with local dimming that can be driven at over 120hz with a response rate to match. With at least 8bit colour.

Or better still 2880x1800.

At this point of writing, No such monitor exists.

Not nerdy enough? OK try this; Diversity aerial support for aftermarket car radios (and DAB support), at this point there aren't that work with Diversity systems...you have to use adapters which are all rubbish and never work properly as they just make the system into a single aerial system, and the factory aerials aren't designed to work in that manner, so reception is rubbish (I've had to replace and re-wire the entire aerial system in my Golf as the original diversity roof and rear glass aerial just simply wouldn't play ball).

Oh yes and a LCD or Plasma TV with decent built in audio. Or at least an attempt to make it decent (they don't even bother now).

OK I have a A/V system for the living room, but seriously I'm seriously investigating on getting a sound bar for the 20" kitchen TV, as its so tinny I simply can't hear it; its like listening to music on a speakerphone (for me that's like scraping fingernails down a blackboard).

Its annoying as it is possible and worse still, its been done in the past...I have a 10year old Hitachi Plasma in the bedroom. Its picture quality is awful (early 6 bit panel). However despite its poor picture one thing that makes it shine is it has half decent audio quality....the speakers are housed in bass-reflex enclosures with dampening material and ported to improve lower frequency response, the drivers themselves are 12"x3" elliptical cones which gives the biggest cone area whilst still remaining narrow, the speakers are forward facing so the listener gets proper stereo imaging and if that's not enough it has a sub woofer output, so a active sub can be plugged in without the need for a A/V receiver. It also has quite a punchy amplifier built in...a Tripath TA2021, a more powerful version of the iconic TA2020 which was one of the first decent class-D amplifiers.

Whereas in £1500 worth of Panasonic gets you three pathetic 3" speakers facing rear and downwards and bolted to the frame behind the rear cover without any form of enclosure. Both sides of the speakers are fully vented in a dipole arrangement (if you can even call it a dipole). But its not a proper dipole speaker as the entire rear of the TV has ventilation holes so there is pretty much zero separation between the front and rear of the speakers. So all the sound waves created by the rear of the speaker is cancelled out by the front....the result is tinny audio. Which pretty much every flat panel TV suffers from. Small speaker don't have to be tinny, all they need is simple shaped enclosures around the speakers (Bose's waveguide is a credit to this), this would massively improve their sound reproduction....what would that cost?...probably a extra £10 in plastics and manufacture, if that! :mad:

As you can guess...I'm a little anal on speaker enclosure design. :o But its actually a pretty simple science, easily within the grasp of any TV manufacturer.

It shows newer isn't always better.

On the remote issue, i had an old Pronto, you could design your own icons, size, placement etc. Not sure you can do that with the logitech harmony.

richs2891 01 April 2013 02:51 PM

A mid sized / full sized 4x4 complete with low range gear box and works off road, that does at least 40 mpg on the urban run.

Richard

Leslie 01 April 2013 03:00 PM

Do you remember the days when we had to get up from a chair and walk to the tv to change the volume or to change stations etc?

How things have changed. You should count your blessings!

Les