ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   £2500 - £3000 for an impreza which one to go for?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/969889-2500-3000-for-an-impreza-which-one-to-go-for.html)

Visionsbyvalentine 25 March 2013 10:45 PM

£2500 - £3000 for an impreza which one to go for??

Hey people I am taking the plunge and finally after many years of wishing and speculating and I'm going to get my first impreza but anyway to the point I really like the bug eye 2002 type shape and feel that It may be a bit more reliable as its newer but I am not sure if I'm paying small money for a newer impreza or if its worth paying bigger money for an older one if you get what I mean, if I could get some feed back on if you reckon it would be worth getting a 52/03 plate or a P reg etc thanks guy can't wait to pick one up either way :)

wiggy1 25 March 2013 11:29 PM

I had a classic before I got my 03 bug wrx, wouldn't go back to a classic now, we'll maybe a 22b, if I was you I would go for the bugeye

YoungY25 25 March 2013 11:42 PM

I was in exactly the same situation as you last year mate.
Ive had both and still love the look of the classics, but the bugeye interior is a far nicer place to be :thumb:

logger 26 March 2013 12:02 AM

As above, would love a classic but the newage dash is still modern. And your more likely to have less rust. Ive just sold my bug eye and nearly bought a classic, but decided to upgrade to a blobeye sti :)

tattoosi 26 March 2013 12:08 AM

the car has 104k on the clock and is a uk car.im the 3rd owner from new and the car has had an oil and filter change every 3months.the interior is standard apart from gauges on the dashboard. The engine has 440cc injectors and vf22 turbo, zero sports induction pipe and blitz induction kit.autobahne 100mm updated intercooler with tilt kit and silicone hoses.stainless steel headers, up pipe, down pipe and full exhaust system.I have 2 back boxes, one very loud jap can for speed and a racebox can for everyday use.it has racing discs and pads, hsd dt racing coilovers with front and back camber adjustment.the car is on a stage 3 map 2 of which were done by scoobyclinic and the last one done by powerstation where it was set at 274bhp@ the wheels at 1.25 bar.this was done before I changed the intercooler and headers and was told the engine was good for 350bhp once I did these mods.the only bad bits are the rear arches are rusting and this is why I have priced it at 2k.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7328766f.jpg

wrx_sti_mudzy 26 March 2013 12:16 AM

Personally I prefer the classics I just love its raw and pure feel which I find is lost in the new age examples.

Best thing to do is test drive both generations and go from there :D.

Whichever one you decide to go for just make sure is one that has been well looked after its not just the how old the car is that makes it unreliable.

Plus if you can find as standard and unmolested a example with tons of history, preferably with low mileage as you can this will be more reliable if you plan to use it as your everyday car.

So all in all if you going to use it as a everyday car it maybe better having a bug eye for more refinement in your case.

On the other hand if its just a toy for the weekends or summer fun I would 100% myself go for a classic its just much more fun IMO :thumb:

his-n-her-scoobs 26 March 2013 12:24 AM

Have personally owned 4 classics and a blobeye.

The classic is a rawer and more involved drive and rightly percieved as a hooligans car. The newage is nicer to be in and handles well, just doesn't seem as quick or exciting IMHO I've had more fun in a Mondeo (flamesuit on). If you can stretch the money then the STi may be quicker, but then again so will a classic STi.

Test drive both, then make up your own mind. Some prefer the rough, some the smooth. Luckily my wife likes it rough lol

:)

YoungY25 26 March 2013 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by wrx_sti_mudzy (Post 11036964)
....... I prefer the classics I just love its raw and pure feel which I find is lost in the new age examples

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs (Post 11036974)
The classic is a rawer and more involved drive and rightly percieved as a hooligans car.

I would 100% agree with the above, the newage cars just lack something the old classics had which is why I probably still have a soft spot for them.
I still miss my old classic and I miss it even more now i found out its getting torn to bits..........
https://www.scoobynet.com/full-cars-...-pots-etc.html

bigphilbaby 26 March 2013 12:32 AM

I went for a classic but insurance on classic was between3-4k and mine now Buyeye sti prodrive 1k, may want look into that before buying one

lewisdj 26 March 2013 12:33 AM

I had a uk turbo 2000 before i bought my blobeye sti. I agree with the comments above, it was a much rawer driving experience, felt lighter and more nimble on the road, in a way i wish i'd kept it!
You could really hear the exhaust rumbling as the sound deadening isnt as good as the new age impreza, i miss the sound of that full decat exhaust popping and spitting flames everywhere :norty: But as a day to day car i prefer the blob eye

Timmay Zoom Zoom 26 March 2013 01:23 PM

Hi Bud, I am in basingstoke, and thinking about getting rid of my Classic as don't really use it. Its a low mile with good mods. Just done brakes, Clutch, MAF, Lambda and had cambelt 2k miles agao. Just had a rmap and just sailed through the MOT. Its in good shape and deffo worth a look. Let me know if you want to come see it. I have not advertised it yet as only had a thought about selling yesterday and getting something more sensible! Sad I know.
It started life as a 99UK turbo but is now around 340bhp with many performance and Comspectic improvements. Full Engine rebuild around 15k ago to uprated bottom end and only sitting on 65k miles. Let me know if you want to come see it.

riiidaa 26 March 2013 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Visionsbyvalentine (Post 11036817)
I really like the bug eye 2002 type shape

http://images.dailyexpress.co.uk/img...4/187711_1.jpg

Ste RB5138 26 March 2013 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by tattoosi (Post 11036951)

That looks a good buy for £2k!

alphaj12 26 March 2013 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ste RB5138 (Post 11037288)

Great shine on it but arches will cost, hence the price. Such a bad design flaw or we'd all still be driving them

MattyB1983 26 March 2013 04:49 PM

the car has 104k on the clock and is a uk car.im the 3rd owner from new and the car has had an oil and filter change every 3months.the interior is standard apart from gauges on the dashboard. The engine has 440cc injectors and vf22 turbo, zero sports induction pipe and blitz induction kit.autobahne 100mm updated intercooler with tilt kit and silicone hoses.stainless steel headers, up pipe, down pipe and full exhaust system.I have 2 back boxes, one very loud jap can for speed and a racebox can for everyday use.it has racing discs and pads, hsd dt racing coilovers with front and back camber adjustment.the car is on a stage 3 map 2 of which were done by scoobyclinic and the last one done by powerstation where it was set at 274bhp@ the wheels at 1.25 bar.this was done before I changed the intercooler and headers and was told the engine was good for 350bhp once I did these mods.the only bad bits are the rear arches are rusting and this is why I have priced it at 2k.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7328766f.jpg

PM'ed.

Kwik 26 March 2013 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11037455)
PM'ed.

Lol, sold the bathroom suite already Matty. Lovely finish on that, is it Red Mica?.

Hammer man 26 March 2013 07:19 PM

If I had 2k spare, I`d be over like a shot for a look. Dont suppose you fancy a trade with a chrysler neon :freak3:.?

tattoosi 26 March 2013 08:25 PM

Just to let u all know. This classic isn't mine. It belongs to a member of west mids imprezas. I ve tries to get his phone number for all the people that have messages me. All I can say is join west mids imprezas Facebook page then you can contact him through that :-)

nick172sport 26 March 2013 08:37 PM

that ia a good buymmm

MattyB1983 26 March 2013 09:39 PM

I don't use facebook. I've pm'ed you my number, if you could forward it to him id very much appreciate it.

kevo10 26 March 2013 10:29 PM

Yes really nice:thumb::thumb::thumb:

tattoosi 26 March 2013 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11037799)
I don't use facebook. I've pm'ed you my number, if you could forward it to him id very much appreciate it.

ive just passed it on for u mate

marshall332bhp 26 March 2013 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by riiidaa (Post 11037267)

+1