ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   New Exhaust Fitted - Now Strange Noise (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/969222-new-exhaust-fitted-now-strange-noise.html)

STOOBOY 19 March 2013 03:04 PM

New Exhaust Fitted - Now Strange Noise

Hi Folks

Just had a 3" Decat Turbo Back Blitz Nur Spec R system fitted. Car is a 2003 Sti but the system is for a Classic.

Now apart from the fact its verging on the ridiculous and the wife went nuts..........its also making an additional, quite annoying noise :wonder:

Its a bit like the noise you sometimes get (in any car) when you have the window slightly open on the motorway. Like air is reverbarating in the cabin?

Anyone else experienced this? The exhaust was second hand but as I understand there isnt really much in an exhaust system that could be flapping about or causing this?

Only driven it at 3000rpm as well! Getting it mapped tomorrow. I dread to think what the fek its gonna sound like at 6500rpm! :D

Might be worth mentioning I had an RCM induction and new HRC fuel pump fitted at the same time.

Welcome any thoughts :thumb:

Cheers

Stuart

scoobaru mad 19 March 2013 03:30 PM

I have something similar with my japspeed only really does it under load though, slight incline or a like.

Cant tell you what causes it, but i stopped or greatly reduced it with an exhaust bung.

But i was advised "not to kick its head in with it fitted"

Its just 2 bolts on the tail pipe :-)

lord shaun 83 19 March 2013 06:05 PM

i get this... its kind of like a helicopter of air noise:Suspiciou
best i could explain it sorry:lol1:

STOOBOY 19 March 2013 06:43 PM

Yeah thats its! Like a friggin helicopter! Good description!

Ok so its not just me then! I dont have a bung unfortunately. I might source one though. Its almost embarrassing driving through the village :norty:

V9 STi 19 March 2013 07:31 PM

Weld the bung fixing holes up.

Or stick a nut and bolt on each one with a nylon washer either side.

wrx271 19 March 2013 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by V9 STi (Post 11029849)
Weld the bung fixing holes up.

Or stick a nut and bolt on each one with a nylon washer either side.

Really that sounds like a waste of time in all honesty.

DaveD 19 March 2013 09:04 PM

If you've fitted a stainless downpipe, you can now probably hear the air passing through the wastegate when on part-throttle. You'll also hear the whistle of the turbo more clearly. Quite normal!

STOOBOY 19 March 2013 09:23 PM

Yep downpipe fitted as well. Would the wastegate'flutter' or be a constant noise?

Interesting thought on the bung bolt holes. Wouldn't have thought they were big enough to cause an issue.

TonyBurns 19 March 2013 10:45 PM

Yes a full decat will give you more turbo noise, on a New Age STI without a remap it will also give you boost spikes and det, I take it you have had the car remapped at the same time as having the other parts fitted?

STOOBOY 19 March 2013 11:12 PM

Hi Tony

Car getting mapped tomorrow. So I've only pootled home from the garage to my house when I picked it up (5 min drive) making sure I didn't boost up or go over 3k :thumb:

Arkynsei 20 March 2013 12:35 AM

Get this too. Found it slightly annoying at first but got used to it, only had it a month and don't even notice it now!

V9 STi 20 March 2013 07:30 PM

Does it do it on idle?

lord shaun 83 20 March 2013 08:03 PM

i cant say ive noticed it on idol on mine, i get it when im trying to stay at a constant speed say 30-40mph

STOOBOY 20 March 2013 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by lord shaun 83 (Post 11030993)
i cant say ive noticed it on idol on mine, i get it when im trying to stay at a constant speed say 30-40mph

Same for me. Ok at idle but hear it when cruising mostly. Just got back from having it mapped. Sounds like a fekin jet plane now! Awesome!

V9 STi 21 March 2013 03:10 PM

If it's only under load I would say it's just induction noise which you're not used to, having gone from an air box to an induction kit. The inner wing resonator acts as a damper for this on the OE setup but you won't be using it now.

My exhaust makes a chopping sort of noise when at idle as the air reverberates out of the bung mounting holes, just thought it could be a similar case for you.

You will definitely hear turbo spool and induction noise now you're on the RCM kit, have the same on mine along with a bigger turbo and it sounds nice :)

lord shaun 83 21 March 2013 03:44 PM

sounds like a bit of everything amplified, as i dont run an induction kit, im using a panel filter.. so could be the bung holes and turbo that i hear mostly:thumb: