ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Radiator/coolant queries (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/969105-radiator-coolant-queries.html)

averyp2 18 March 2013 12:03 PM

Radiator/coolant queries

Just replaced my faulty leaking radiator with a new Japspeed alloy version and i am in the process of refitting.

Having put it back in with the standard twin fan shrouds it is very close to the belts, probably 5mm away in places. Is this too close, as i know under load and release of the throttle from high revs the engine has a fair bit of movement and i would want the belts to snag? Suppose the fix is to fit slim-line fans but are these a direct swap from a wiring point of view?

Second query is regarding refilling coolant. Read differing threads saying to top up from either header tank, from top rad hose or from the turbo water hose, which is the best/preferred method?

Thanks in advance, Paul

Hammer man 18 March 2013 12:38 PM

Hi Paul.
Cant answer either question Im afraid because I aint got a clue,,, but I would of thought you`d of asked Mark for some advice..:wonder:

averyp2 18 March 2013 01:04 PM

Thats my next stop Cliff, however don't like bombarding him with queries all the time, he's busy enough without me on the phone all the time. It's lazy but it's easier to start a quick thread whilst at work!

What started as a quick rad change has led to new rad, hoses, a lot of bits being powder coated and possibly now a change of fans. No such thing as a quick job when it comes to me and my scooby!

MarkCSC 18 March 2013 01:13 PM

I did mine from the header tank but many people swear by the turbo water hose method. Whatever you do just make sure you take your time. I used a 50/50 mix and burped the system by squeezing the bottom rad hose. Once you have put the correct amount in, start the car with the header tank cap off and run until bubbles stop coming to the top (shouldn't take too long).

Hammer man 18 March 2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by averyp2 (Post 11028287)
Thats my next stop Cliff, however don't like bombarding him with queries all the time, he's busy enough without me on the phone all the time. It's lazy but it's easier to start a quick thread whilst at work!

What started as a quick rad change has led to new rad, hoses, a lot of bits being powder coated and possibly now a change of fans. No such thing as a quick job when it comes to me and my scooby!

Scooby ownership for you:thumb:

averyp2 18 March 2013 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by MarkCSC (Post 11028293)
I did mine from the header tank but many people swear by the turbo water hose method. Whatever you do just make sure you take your time. I used a 50/50 mix and burped the system by squeezing the bottom rad hose. Once you have put the correct amount in, start the car with the header tank cap off and run until bubbles stop coming to the top (shouldn't take too long).

Thanks for the reply. I have done it once before (a few years back) via the header tank method and it worked, just interested to see the general consensus regarding the other two methods before i attempt again. Will likely give the turbo hose method a crack from what i have read this appears the best route to avoid vacuums.

I have some motul antifreeze consentrate and several litres of ionised water at the ready :thumb:

Cliff, hows your motor going these days, been a while since i've seen it about?

Hammer man 18 March 2013 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by averyp2 (Post 11028304)
Cliff, hows your motor going these days, been a while since i've seen it about?

Its fine. Dont use it much in the winter time, but summers round the corner so it will get used a bit more soon. I plan to buy a P1 or type-r soon and put a sti8 engine and 6 speedbox/bits in, for everyday use. Just saving my pennies:rolleyes:

alcazar 18 March 2013 02:53 PM

Use the turbo water hose, it fills from the bottom up.

Use a funnel and take your time, don't let it glug.

Always have heaters set to hot while filling.

averyp2 18 March 2013 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer man (Post 11028372)
I plan to buy a P1 or type-r soon and put a sti8 engine and 6 speedbox/bits in, for everyday use.

Your just showing off now! :cool:
You must have shares in Shell or something!

averyp2 18 March 2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11028401)
Use the turbo water hose, it fills from the bottom up.

Use a funnel and take your time, don't let it glug.

Always have heaters set to hot while filling.

Thanks for clarifying for me buddy!