ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   Fitting PPP ECU to a 2006 WRX Hawkeye (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/969055-fitting-ppp-ecu-to-a-2006-wrx-hawkeye.html)

Muzza80 17 March 2013 08:44 PM

Fitting PPP ECU to a 2006 WRX Hawkeye

Hi all, looking for advice from one of the experts.

I've found this PPP ECU on Ebay for £249

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190532265330

How straight forward / complicated would it be to get this fitted and working in my 2006 Hawk WRX?

I'm guessing not as simple as swapping them over?

The Pink Ninja 17 March 2013 08:53 PM

If you're thinking if spending £250 on an ecu what I would suggest is to put that towards an open source remap on your own ecu for an extra £50 on top and this will be suited to your car with no compatibility issues as you would need to get your keys coded to the new ecu.

Muzza80 17 March 2013 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by GAZ2293 (Post 11027706)
If you're thinking if spending £250 on an ecu what I would suggest is to put that towards an open source remap on your own ecu for an extra £50 on top and this will be suited to your car with no compatibility issues as you would need to get your keys coded to the new ecu.

That's a fair point, I never realised you could get a custom map for £300, I was looking into ECUTek by Andy Forrest @ £500+

I'm only after a stage one map, thought the PPP Ecu (which is a ECUTek map) may be a cheap and simple way to do it.

Tidgy 18 March 2013 09:15 AM

ppp is more than just ecu, you'll need to find all the parts and will pay more than if you just had it mapped.

Personaly i wouldn't touch open source mapping for my car, prefer the support you get with ecutek, but thats up to you.

jura11 18 March 2013 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Muzza80 (Post 11027780)
That's a fair point, I never realised you could get a custom map for £300, I was looking into ECUTek by Andy Forrest @ £500+

I'm only after a stage one map, thought the PPP Ecu (which is a ECUTek map) may be a cheap and simple way to do it.

As above Gaz suggest Open source is cheaper option and will give you more bhp/torque and at the end will be cheaper option too

Not sure,but AndyF mapping too via Open Source or speak to RA Motorsport

http://www.ra-motorsport.co.uk/Home/...pping_services

Jura

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11028154)
ppp is more than just ecu, you'll need to find all the parts and will pay more than if you just had it mapped.

Personaly i wouldn't touch open source mapping for my car, prefer the support you get with ecutek, but thats up to you.

Our wagon has been mapped via Open Source before,difference is only in tools which you are using and mostly is up to personal preference and price.

Support from EcuTek,really not sure,but rather I would buy aftermarket ECU like using the EcuTek

Jura

Tidgy 18 March 2013 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by jura11 (Post 11028503)

Our wagon has been mapped via Open Source before,difference is only in tools which you are using and mostly is up to personal preference and price.

Support from EcuTek,really not sure,but rather I would buy aftermarket ECU like using the EcuTek

Jura

tis a persoanl choice thing, bit like who you get to map it. price difference between after market and ecutek is way more than the difference between open source and ecutek.

you pays your money you makes your choice.

BRAVEHEART_STI 18 March 2013 06:17 PM

you make it sound like open source comes from ebay or something :lol1:

in my experience it is ALL down to who maps the car ........ not the software used to map it nor the base maps

Tidgy 18 March 2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART_STI (Post 11028571)
you make it sound like open source comes from ebay or something :lol1:

in my experience it is ALL down to who maps the car ........ not the software used to map it nor the base maps

agree totaly ;)

read into that as you will

Muzza80 19 March 2013 12:57 PM

I'm aware of that ;) FYI it's a back box and a silicone y-pipe and that's all on the Hawk WRX PPP and I'd put money on it making little to no difference to the post map power whether you have these fitted or not, probably just a way for Prodrive to justify the £1500 cost lol

Now can anyone actually tell me what's involved in an ECU swap?

What's wrong with OS? It's not like an ECUTek map is some sort of Voodoo that nobody else can do except them, it's all altering the same parameters at the end of the day?

Tidgy 19 March 2013 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Muzza80 (Post 11029422)
I'm aware of that ;) FYI it's a back box and a silicone y-pipe and that's all on the Hawk WRX PPP and I'd put money on it making little to no difference to the post map power whether you have these fitted or not, probably just a way for Prodrive to justify the £1500 cost lol

Now can anyone actually tell me what's involved in an ECU swap?

What's wrong with OS? It's not like an ECUTek map is some sort of Voodoo that nobody else can do except them, it's all altering the same parameters at the end of the day?

OS can be used by anyone who downloads the software, ecutek supply the software (also some of the OS is older versions of ecutek thats been hacked), also ecutek wont supply to everyone. Also ecutek provide support for the mappers.

wich route you go is up to you.

DisoDisp 24 March 2013 11:45 PM

Ecutek will supply anyone who has the cash...

Ultimately, the premium put me off getting the kit for Subarus and Mitsubishis, but they would've sold it to me gladly.