ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cycling Turbo Trainer (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/968661-cycling-turbo-trainer.html)

nik52wrx 13 March 2013 11:16 PM

Cycling Turbo Trainer

Tonight i handed in my notice at the gym so i'm now in the market for a turbo trainer.

Can anyone recommend a trainer, budget up to £200.

Thanks

Nik.

theboy 13 March 2013 11:45 PM

Turbo trainers are good, but i prefer rollers. You dont get the resistence but its more core work and cadence.

hodgy0_2 14 March 2013 08:47 AM

Agree, I have rollers, the workout is brutal

But need space though, and can be noisy

Graz 14 March 2013 09:40 AM

The evenings are getting lighter, you'll be able to cycle on the actual road soon :D

Or get some lights and wet weather gear :)

nik52wrx 14 March 2013 01:42 PM

Your right but i'm not a big fan of going out when its lashing down, the trainer is to be a back up tool.

Nik

Originally Posted by Graz (Post 11023875)
The evenings are getting lighter, you'll be able to cycle on the actual road soon :D

Or get some lights and wet weather gear :)

Midlife...... 14 March 2013 01:44 PM

Having used Rollers and trainers I can honestly say they bore me to death and would rather potter about on the roads.........and spend the money on something else :)

Shaun

theboy 14 March 2013 01:51 PM

I don't potter, if I'm short of time or the weather is too bad I prefer to batter myself for 45 mins.

hodgy0_2 14 March 2013 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by theboy (Post 11024033)
I don't potter, if I'm short of time or the weather is too bad I prefer to batter myself for 45 mins.

seek medical advice first, I have heard that it can make you blind

Midlife...... 14 March 2013 05:13 PM

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (substitute sugar for sweet batter)
1 cup water (substitute beer or whole milk as desired)
Paprika, to taste (optional)
Black pepper, to taste (optional)

Job done theboy :D

Shaun

theboy 14 March 2013 07:15 PM

Cheers for that!!!

tarmac terror 14 March 2013 11:36 PM

They do place some unusual forces on your frame, I wouldn't use one of those with a decent bike. Worth keeping a spare wheel for the trainer as they do wear tyres more quickly than road cycling.

Another thing to be aware of is sweat - if you are training hard, sweat will drip onto your bike which will lead to corrosion.

theboy 15 March 2013 12:38 AM

You can use a turbo tyre or a old tyre, it's easier with a spare rear wheel as trying to fit a turbo tyre is a art form that I have not yet mastered.

nik52wrx 15 March 2013 08:19 AM

I'm going to put my winter bike on it (Trek 1.5 road bike) so no need for spare wheels, also you can buy sweat catchers.

Still no recommendations for which trainer................

Nik

Originally Posted by tarmac terror (Post 11024709)
They do place some unusual forces on your frame, I wouldn't use one of those with a decent bike. Worth keeping a spare wheel for the trainer as they do wear tyres more quickly than road cycling.

Another thing to be aware of is sweat - if you are training hard, sweat will drip onto your bike which will lead to corrosion.

theboy 15 March 2013 10:41 AM

Tacx all day long

Mogsi 15 March 2013 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by tarmac terror (Post 11024709)

Nonsense, no more force than you get on the road - climbing, sprinting, potholes etc etc... I've trained hard on my carbon race bikes for the last several years and they've never failed ( or corroded ) on a turbo trainer.

Tacx Satori Link

or push your budget...

Cycleops Fluid 2 Link

nik52wrx 15 March 2013 01:13 PM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mogsi (Post 11025006)
Nonsense, no more force than you get on the road - climbing, sprinting, potholes etc etc... I've trained hard on my carbon race bikes for the last several years and they've never failed ( or corroded ) on a turbo trainer.

Tacx Satori Link

or push your budget...

Cycleops Fluid 2 Link