ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club (WYIOC) (https://www.scoobynet.com/west-yorkshire-impreza-owners-club-wyioc-366/)
-   -   Dog box (https://www.scoobynet.com/west-yorkshire-impreza-owners-club-wyioc-366/968248-dog-box.html)

foxy996 10 March 2013 03:54 PM

Dog box

Hi am looking for dog bog for a 03 impreza
could any one help!

worbs 24 March 2013 11:34 PM

Have pm'd you chap

Tidgy 25 March 2013 09:14 AM

make sure you know exactly what a dog box is before you make the plunge, they arn't normal gearbox ;)

worbs 25 March 2013 09:18 AM

Have you ever driven with a dogbox tidgy?

Tidgy 25 March 2013 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by worbs (Post 11035617)
Have you ever driven with a dogbox tidgy?

no mate, wouldn't want too, wouldn't want the double clutching or the 1000 miles ware out either thata probper dog box has.

reason i asked you in the other thread if the one your selling was a true 'dog box' or not, my old classic had a ppg stright cut box in it, however that was not a 'dog box' just had straight cut gears. :thumb:

worbs 25 March 2013 09:37 AM

IMHO driving one on the road is not that bad at all, yes it's a bit more involved than a syncro box with the double clutching on the down shift but other than that if your firm with them then it's easy enough, Im not sure were the 1000 wear out myth has come from? I know people who have used dogboxs on track and street and have lasted years, so as said that is a totally ludicrous myth, I loved the dogbox, the sound, the instant power into the next gear on the clutchless up shift, coupled with the fact it's 60kg's lighter than a 6 speed with alot better ratios.

Tidgy 25 March 2013 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by worbs (Post 11035642)
IMHO driving one on the road is not that bad at all, yes it's a bit more involved than a syncro box with the double clutching on the down shift but other than that if your firm with them then it's easy enough, Im not sure were the 1000 wear out myth has come from? I know people who have used dogboxs on track and street and have lasted years, so as said that is a totally ludicrous myth, I loved the dogbox, the sound, the instant power into the next gear on the clutchless up shift, coupled with the fact it's 60kg's lighter than a 6 speed with alot better ratios.

i'm not saying its good or bad thing matey (got told 100 miles years back when i broke mine ;) so tech may have moved on), all im saying is its not like driving a typical gearbox, pretty important when your buying a box dont you think :thumb:

worbs 25 March 2013 09:47 AM

I don't disagree mate, if your asking to buy one surely you know what one is though.
I had my reservations at first but took to it like a duck to water, just gutted I have to now break the car and sell it on as its a pretty high specc'd box :D

worbs 25 March 2013 09:47 AM

I don't disagree mate, if your asking to buy one surely you know what one is though.
I had my reservations at first but took to it like a duck to water, just gutted I have to now break the car and sell it on as its a pretty high specc'd box :D

Tidgy 25 March 2013 09:54 AM

I've seen people asking for dog box's not realising the whine they make actualy comes from the straight cut gears, not cos its a dog box. I've also seen people advertising stright cut box's as dog box's, just something to be wary of for buyers and sellers :)

worbs 25 March 2013 09:57 AM

Double post