ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Gearbox is dying... Need option advice, 93WRX (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/968076-gearbox-is-dying-need-option-advice-93wrx.html)

GazJenno 08 March 2013 08:36 PM

Gearbox is dying... Need option advice, 93WRX

She's an oldie and needs some care...

The gearbox has always been a bit crunchy from 1st to 2nd but now 2nd to 3rd is a struggle, it makes a horrible crunching sound on over run and has a slight high pitched whine... so its dying.

I need some top scoobynet advice, hopefully APi will chip in to help me too.

I'm running about 320bhp and wont be pushing it more that 340bhp. What options do I have that are fairly cheap and easy?! I like the short ratios I have now, I dont want to have to change hubs but don't mind replacing the rear diff.

Is it possible to buy new synchros and bearings for my old box? I know you can get carbon ones for civics etc. I wouldn't mind rebuilding mine but are my issues likely to be caused by damaged gears? Or too much power for this age standard gear set?

I'm a bit weary of second hand boxes but cant afford the gearsets Ive seen advertised.

Thanks for any help,

Gaz

A.S.B Breakers 08 March 2013 09:19 PM

Ive got a few gearboxes here if needed, £150

GazJenno 08 March 2013 09:44 PM

Can you guarantee they'll be better than the one I've got... not that they could be much worse haha... cheap enough too!

Where are you based?

APIDavid 08 March 2013 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by GazJenno (Post 11017837)
She's an oldie and needs some care...

The gearbox has always been a bit crunchy from 1st to 2nd but now 2nd to 3rd is a struggle, it makes a horrible crunching sound on over run and has a slight high pitched whine... so its dying.

I need some top scoobynet advice, hopefully APi will chip in to help me too.

I'm running about 320bhp and wont be pushing it more that 340bhp. What options do I have that are fairly cheap and easy?! I like the short ratios I have now, I dont want to have to change hubs but don't mind replacing the rear diff.

Is it possible to buy new synchros and bearings for my old box? I know you can get carbon ones for civics etc. I wouldn't mind rebuilding mine but are my issues likely to be caused by damaged gears? Or too much power for this age standard gear set?

I'm a bit weary of second hand boxes but cant afford the gearsets Ive seen advertised.

Thanks for any help,

Gaz

Call me Monday if you like, David APi 01926 614333

No secondhand crap just straight advice and a sensible costing.

A.S.B Breakers 08 March 2013 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by GazJenno (Post 11017933)
Can you guarantee they'll be better than the one I've got... not that they could be much worse haha... cheap enough too!

Where are you based?

Up in scotland, postage 20 quid.
Yes I can guarantee they are better than your current box and not ''crap''.

APIDavid 11 March 2013 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by A.S.B Breakers (Post 11017954)
Up in scotland, postage 20 quid.
Yes I can guarantee they are better than your current box and not ''crap''.

What warranty do you offer, if your guess as to quality turns out to be wrong ??

GazJenno 13 March 2013 12:26 PM

I'll be in touch soon David, just need to sort out some other things. I do like the ratios in this box, just wish it was smoother and didn't whine so much!