ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   wrx vs sti (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/967849-wrx-vs-sti.html)

jonathan-middi 06 March 2013 06:31 PM

wrx vs sti

hiya ive been looking into getting a scoob having just sold me gt4. tuning wise whats the difference between the wrx and the sti? is it a case of a finer tuned Ecu and bigger turbo or does the sti also have stronger internals than the wrx? sorry i know its a basic question.

TIZERBOY 06 March 2013 06:37 PM

newage WRX are good for around 320bhp any more and to 5 speed box could go pop,, where the newage STI as stronger internals with 6 speed box 450bhp all day long mate,,, go JDM mate....

Kwik 06 March 2013 06:37 PM

I hear blob eye WRX's are pretty good http://forum.speakerplans.com/upload...ey_running.gif

tubbytommy 06 March 2013 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kwik (Post 11015182)
I hear blob eye WRX's are pretty good http://forum.speakerplans.com/upload...ey_running.gif

much better car :thumb:

the shreksta 06 March 2013 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by jonathan-middi (Post 11015173)
hiya ive been looking into getting a scoob having just sold me gt4. tuning wise whats the difference between the wrx and the sti? is it a case of a finer tuned Ecu and bigger turbo or does the sti also have stronger internals than the wrx? sorry i know its a basic question.

the sti should have forged pistons and if its a newage your looking at,it should have the stronger 6 speed gearbox capable of 500+ bhp where the 5 speed in the wrx is on borrowed time over 350bhp depending how you drive.

work out your budget 1st then work out what you want from the car.you can get a well spec'd wrx for not alot of cash these days.i swapped my civic type r which was worth £4300 for my wrx but it has an sti engine with forged pistons,loads of sti parts and huge porsche 911 6-pot calipers,im gonna be taking it to around 350bhp as its my daily driver,plus its got a box full of reciepts from some of the top name tuners around-its proof that one mans loss is another mans gain

tubbytommy 06 March 2013 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11015185)
the sti should have forged pistons and if its a newage your looking at,it should have the stronger 6 speed gearbox capable of 500+ bhp where the 5 speed in the wrx is on borrowed time over 350bhp depending how you drive.

work out your budget 1st then work out what you want from the car.you can get a well spec'd wrx for not alot of cash these days.i swapped my civic type r which was worth £4300 for my wrx but it has an sti engine with forged pistons,loads of sti parts and huge porsche 911 6-pot calipers,im gonna be taking it to around 350bhp as its my daily driver,plus its got a box full of reciepts from some of the top name tuners around-its proof that one mans loss is another mans gain

newage dont have forged pistons

the shreksta 06 March 2013 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11015187)
newage dont have forged pistons

well the code for my engine was confirmed by rcm/powerstation as having forged pistons

bustaMOVEs 06 March 2013 06:45 PM

Popcorn at the ready

jonathan-middi 06 March 2013 06:48 PM

im either looking at an ok spec p1/type r or a wrx blob eye would be looking at basic mods. id love a blob eye sti but they are a little out of my budget range.

TIZERBOY 06 March 2013 06:50 PM

Defo not forged in standard STI spec mate,, i do beleave the JDM newage STI as better pistons....

tubbytommy 06 March 2013 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by TIZERBOY (Post 11015197)
Defo not forged in standard STI spec mate,, i do beleave the JDM newage STI as better pistons....

:thumb:

the shreksta 06 March 2013 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11015190)
Popcorn at the ready

oh great another scoobynet pathetic argument-count me out

to the op-as i said before mate,work out what you want from it and how much you are willing to spend.the wrx is a capable car and the sti is obviously better spec'd but they do command alot more money

good luck in finding what you want,i wanted a impreza for years and was put off by horror stories about reliability issues but 7 months in and its proving just as reliable as my civic

jayallen 06 March 2013 07:23 PM

V7 sti was the last engine with forged pistons, after that Subaru used hypereutectic pistons.

.......and no, JDM sti pistons are not stronger.

Tidgy 06 March 2013 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by jayallen (Post 11015240)
V7 sti was the last engine with forged pistons, after that Subaru used hypereutectic pistons.

.......and no, JDM sti pistons are not stronger.

this. lol

also wrx 5 speed on a hawkeye is stronger than on earlier model, how much strong not sure, know 3 cars running 450+ on standard wrxbox.

when mine is mapped up shall see how it lasts

Worlasshasansti 06 March 2013 07:40 PM

Hi fella, what gt4 you coming from? ST165, ST185 or ST205? From what I found when looking for an impreza over a few months If you were wanting a good type R I would think you would almost have enough for a blob STI...

I've just moved to a 330bhp blob STI from a 300bhp gt four st205 and I can tell you without doubt its a different animal to drive but also a lot thirstier lol.

Mick

theboy 06 March 2013 08:43 PM

I bought my blobeye WRX PPP when it was about 18 months old, within a few months and after my first drive with the old WYIOC i wished that i had gone for the STI. But the mrs didnt like the big wing & gold wheels :cry::cry::cry:

thenewgalaxy 06 March 2013 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by theboy (Post 11015381)
I bought my blobeye WRX PPP when it was about 18 months old, within a few months and after my first drive with the old WYIOC i wished that i had gone for the STI. But the mrs didnt like the big wing & gold wheels :cry::cry::cry:

My missus didn't get a choice when I wanted a blue one with the obligatory gold wheels :nono:

I just hitched a ride to Chester, bought it and rolled up that afternoon in it :hjtwofing

After a couple of blasts down the road she learned to love it :luvlove:

daz1968 06 March 2013 11:48 PM

I say widetrack sti especially if jdm, but from your choice as a daily I would choose wrx blob over a p1 or type r. Wrx blob with remap or ppp is superb daily, I ran one for 3 years before changing to an sti and I never regretted it at all.